I've been thinking of buying an Otterobox for my Curve and was just wondering if anyone had one and what do you think about it. What are your likes and dislikes any help would be very appreciated.
    12-12-07 11:41 AM
    I bought the Otterbox for the Curve for my boyfriend. He got it in last Saturday. It is awesome but the only issue we had with it is that there was an echo. I emailed Otterbox about it but I have yet to receive a reply. It seems that when the skin that protects the keyboard and screen is on and it is in the case the people that call you will hear their own echo. He has just dealt with it because he wants to keep his blackberry protected. I don't talk to him on the phone, we pretty much just BM all day.
    12-12-07 12:28 PM
    Thanks for the info I really want to get one, most of the time I use a bluetooth earpiece so maybe it won't be a issue. Thanks again.
    12-12-07 04:30 PM
    I got one for my 8300 two days ago. The biggest issue were hazy pictures but I cut out a little hole for the camera lens and now I love it.
    12-12-07 08:58 PM
    that thing looks like a beast... i really want to protect my blackberry but i'm a little skeptical about that... is it a no brainer to just get it or what?
    12-17-07 05:11 PM
    that thing looks like a beast... i really want to protect my blackberry but i'm a little skeptical about that... is it a no brainer to just get it or what?
    Do a search on youtube for it. They have some videos of a guy throwing 3 different phones into the snow with it on. Seems pretty well designed to keep the elements out (at least water, anyway).
    12-17-07 05:23 PM
    Well my wife surprised me a Seidio Aluminum Case for my curve. It's not an Otterbox but I will try it out. So far I really like it, the BB fits perfectly inside and it feels pretty secure. Also it doesn't add much weight or bulk to the BB.
    12-17-07 08:48 PM
    Well my wife surprised me a Seidio Aluminum Case for my curve. It's not an Otterbox but I will try it out. So far I really like it, the BB fits perfectly inside and it feels pretty secure. Also it doesn't add much weight or bulk to the BB.
    Your wife have a twin sister? /wink
    12-17-07 09:30 PM
    I received mine last week but I'm scared to have my Curve "wear" it.
    Man, that case is scary!

When you want to be light and pretty, you take the risk of getting scratched!
    12-17-07 10:35 PM
    My biggest concern is when I ride my motorcycle. I tend to put everything in a baggie and put it under my rear seat so I don't have anything in my pockets.. This means the blackberry will rattle like crazy when the bike revs high. I'd rather have a monster case like this to protect it than the one that comes with the berry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-07 12:09 AM
    My biggest concern is when I ride my motorcycle. I tend to put everything in a baggie and put it under my rear seat so I don't have anything in my pockets.. This means the blackberry will rattle like crazy when the bike revs high. I'd rather have a monster case like this to protect it than the one that comes with the berry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Not sure the case would make a difference, in your case (no pun intended). The case will merely protect your phone from scratches and elements. It might absorb 'some' shock, but don't be fooled. In physics, this is called inertia. Once an object starts moving, it either has to dissipate it's energy (from moving) or well there is no 'or'. The case can only be expected to absorb a very small amount of shock. Your phone's body will be taking most of the brunt, either way.

I would suggest just using a holster/pouch on your hip. Either that, or buying a gameboy case with all the foam, inside and cutting out space for the phone.

Just my 02
    Last edited by Strontium; 12-18-07 at 12:35 AM.
    12-18-07 12:31 AM
    PS - We have people on the front page of our local newspaper (houston, tx) that have tried to break the laws of physics, every day. They are usually obituary-worthy headlines.

You can't break the laws of physics. They are not man-made laws.
    12-18-07 12:37 AM
    I'm using an OtterBOX on my Curve. I'm liking it! Have had one for each of my 8700, 8800, Pearl and now Curve. I think in terms of usability, this one has been the best of bunch. It seems like they've given a little more space around the keyboard, so you have good access to all the keys still...same with the spacing around the trackball. On the 8800 it also feels like your thumb is rubbing with the cross bar...on the Curve it seems a little more spacious.

I've been running without the clear membrane though...not too worried about keeping it water resistant...just care about the abuse, and it's holding up well.
    12-18-07 01:19 AM
    I have noticed with the aluminum case that I lose 2 to 3 bars in rececption with it on. No issue with calls, msg, or emails though. I may buy the otterbox if I find a good deal on one.
    12-18-07 10:19 AM
    I received my otterbox about 2 weeks before its release as a testing and evaluation product for the government. I have been using it since the middle of November and love it.
    I would highly recomend the product if it fits your criteria. If you need a highly durable case for work then there is nothing better. I have experienced no problems with the case or holster. The only issue which I have discussed with the Otterbox R/D people is the holster. The belt clip won't accommodate anything larger that a 2" belt. So if you are in law enforcement which uses a garrison belt(2 1/4") this may not be the carrying solution for you. As I explained to them, you would hate to have a highly protected BB in a strangers possession because the holster un-clipped from your belt.
    12-18-07 10:40 AM
    I've had the same problem with callers hearing their own echo with the case on. I'll try it without the skin and see if that helps. I really like the case and the protection that it offers, but I don't want everyone who calls me to tell me that they can hear themselves all the time. I emailed otterbox about this issue as well, but haven't heard back just yet.
    01-03-08 05:26 PM
    I have an otterbox on my 8830, and it turns it into a tank! I love it. I also ride, and have had no problems. The otterbox makes you feel much better about throwing it in a bag, or your pocet. If it's a short ride, I may not even take it off.
    01-08-08 10:23 AM
    I have an otterbox on my 8830, and it turns it into a tank! I love it. I also ride, and have had no problems. The otterbox makes you feel much better about throwing it in a bag, or your pocet. If it's a short ride, I may not even take it off.

How much extra bulk does it add to the BB?
    01-23-08 06:47 PM
    I just got it and it is a great piece of gear. Im in the military and sometimes things happen (Murphy seems to be hanging around a lot). With this case no worries what so ever. One thing, just as someone else said, this will not fit on a rigger's belt. I emailed them and inquired about a clip that would fit, but no response as of yet.
    01-26-08 12:23 PM
    How much extra bulk does it add to the BB?
    I just got my Curve on Friday and put an Otterbox on it later that evening. The case adds a noticable bulk, but I've decided that I actually prefer using my Curve with it on. It's easier to hold, lends a surface which grips, and feels neat.
    Plus, I'm not getting bothered by how easy it was taking fingerprints. Oh, I did put the clear layer on. It feels good on the keys, and I'm less concerned about spilling coffee or something on it. It was really difficult to get rid of all the bubbles on the screen, but I got it to a point where it doesn't really bother me.

BTW, I have small hands.
    01-27-08 07:14 PM
    I bought the Otterbox for the Curve for my boyfriend. He got it in last Saturday. It is awesome but the only issue we had with it is that there was an echo. I emailed Otterbox about it but I have yet to receive a reply. It seems that when the skin that protects the keyboard and screen is on and it is in the case the people that call you will hear their own echo. He has just dealt with it because he wants to keep his blackberry protected. I don't talk to him on the phone, we pretty much just BM all day.
    has anyone figured out a solution to this problem? my friends are complaining of an echo as well. i know it's related to the Otterbox case, but i don't want to get rid of it.
    03-10-08 02:53 PM
    has anyone figured out a solution to this problem? my friends are complaining of an echo as well. i know it's related to the Otterbox case, but i don't want to get rid of it.
    Hi, first timer here. I just switched from a pocketpc smartphone to a curve about a week ago. I baught an otterbox case for it and imediately began experiencing the echo that you all are discussing. I love the case but my callers hate the echo.

I read that the reason for the echo is because of the membrane layer catching the sound from the earphone and transferring the sound waves down to the microphone. So the person on the other end hears a repeated "echo" of what they just said.

I found that if you lower the volume of your phone during a call, the echo goes away but then it's softer than I'd like it to be for my hearing. When I raise the volume one click, the echo is back.

Someone tried cutting off the little piece of membrane over the microphone and that seemed to work for them. I tried that and it worked a little but still got a soft echo. When I remove the membrane completely, the echo goes away. But I don't like having the keyboard and camera exposed so I tried cutting away the part of the membrane in the back just below the camera and it seemed to help but there still is a very faint echo that my callers can hear.

So, for now, I have removed the membrane layer. My daughter took the membrane and put it on her curve and then covered that with the silicone skin that she already was using. Now her curve is completely covered and doesn't echo. I can only assume that it is because the otterbox plastic casing is so snug that it makes an airtight fit which promotes the soundwaves traveling from the speaker to the microphone.

I also read that using a bluetooth earphone works. That makes sense since the soundwaves are no longer traveling from the phone speaker to the microphone through the membrane. I have a bluetooth earphone but I don't like using it. It's just one extra thing to have to carry around for me.

Anyway, I hope this sheds a little more light on the subject.

I also noticed that you cannot use the camera flash with the membrane layer on because flash bounces off the membrane and into the camera lense below it. Night pictures have a terrible glare on the top of them. Day pictures are ok.
    Last edited by happyhawaiian; 04-08-08 at 01:30 PM.
    04-07-08 10:50 PM
    Attn. otterbox Echoers: I have found the problem. Much like the previous poster the problem is when the membrane transfers the sound from the earpiece to the mouthpiece. The key to this is to cut off the little piece that covers the mic AND the white cover over the earpiece (its just a sticker, it peels off).

Ive done multiple tests with people that have complained about the echo and they all say its much better.

Combine this method with cutting out of the camera hole and your case is a little less protected from water and dust but a lot more usable
    Last edited by shftatsix; 04-17-08 at 04:18 PM.
    04-17-08 04:13 PM
    I have the case as well. I love the case, but my only beef is that the light hole doesn't line up as well as the speaker hole up top. Not that it really matters, but my OCD won't let it go...
    07-31-08 04:58 PM
    I am using an Air Case for blackberry 8300. This case comes with double protection of crystal case and holster....good one to have
    07-31-08 05:03 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD