Hey guys i bought a car charger for my bold 9700 on a gas station. It seems to me when i use the battery heats up alot. Is this normal or are some car chargers different. Please let me know. Thanks!
    06-15-10 12:30 PM
    I experience the same. in for answer.
    06-15-10 12:42 PM
    You need to be careful using car chargers. This apears to be a common problem since it is the second time today that it has come up.

A modern BlackBerry needs 5 volts at 700mAmps. A car puts out approximately 13.2 volts and just about unlimited current, as far as a BlackBerry is concerned.

A car charger for a BlackBerry needs to be properly regulated and supply only what the BlackBerry needs.

Most USB car chargers today are voltage regulated and the BlackBerry will take what current it needs at the required 5 volts.

The problem comes when you buy a poorly or totally unregulated car charger.

It battery will get hot and you may end up with a fried phone.

It is, imo, just not worth plugging your $400 BlackBErry into a crap $5 car charger.
    06-15-10 01:05 PM
    I agree with Pete, although it is likely you will frag the battery before it affects the phone. Don't buy any charger that doesn't match the specs on the charger that came with your BB.

Even if you find the battery is not overheating mismatched voltage or amperage will result in a poorly charged battery that will not perform optimally.
    06-15-10 01:18 PM
    Anybody know then where I can purchase a car charger that won't overheat my phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-10 02:46 PM
    Your service provider store?

06-15-10 02:47 PM
    I agree with Pete, but there's one more important point to consider. Car chargers are, typically, "fast chargers" (which may be why your device is feeling so hot). Rapid charging decreases battery life over the long term. USB and wall charges are closer to "trickle charging" and thus, easier on the battery. I just posted this exact same thing in another thread. Car chargers are great in an emergency, but not ideal for long term use (even the good ones).
    06-15-10 02:51 PM
    Anybody know then where I can purchase a car charger that won't overheat my phone?

Amazon. I picked up an OEM one for $8.
    06-15-10 03:00 PM
    I agree with Pete, but there's one more important point to consider. Car chargers are, typically, "fast chargers" (which may be why your device is feeling so hot). Rapid charging decreases battery life over the long term. USB and wall charges are closer to "trickle charging" and thus, easier on the battery. I just posted this exact same thing in another thread. Car chargers are great in an emergency, but not ideal for long term use (even the good ones).
    Fast chargers are a bit of an anomaly.

The BlackBerry has its own internal charging circuits that manage the battery very well. You cannot overcharge a BlackBerry from the original wall charger. The phone will simply stop charging once the battery is fully charged.

About the only thing a fast charger can do is to increase the voltage it presents to the phone and to then make more current available to the device.

Typically a car charger will regulate at about 5.5 - 6 volts and will current limit at around 1000mA (1 Amp).

If the device can make use of this then the device will charge faster. This may be why your phone gets warm.
    06-15-10 03:33 PM
    Hey, Pete: Ok, that being said though, isn't it still true that the car charger is working like a "fast charger" by increasing voltage? That's what adds more wear and tear to the battery. I know that the popularity of the "15 minute" chargers for AAs and the like, are great when you need it recharged in a hurry, but don't expect the battery to last you very long.

Fast chargers are a bit of an anomaly.

The BlackBerry has its own internal charging circuits that manage the battery very well. You cannot overcharge a BlackBerry from the original wall charger. The phone will simply stop charging once the battery is fully charged.

About the only thing a fast charger can do is to increase the voltage it presents to the phone and to then make more current available to the device.

Typically a car charger will regulate at about 5.5 - 6 volts and will current limit at around 1000mA (1 Amp).

If the device can make use of this then the device will charge faster. This may be why your phone gets warm.
    06-15-10 06:39 PM
    Only buy OEM products for your blackberry. They are a bit more pricey but why take the chance of ruining perfection!

06-15-10 07:59 PM
    Check the crackberry store , there are 2 types for the micro USB .. The 10v and the 12v ...
    06-15-10 09:59 PM
    Hey, Pete: Ok, that being said though, isn't it still true that the car charger is working like a "fast charger" by increasing voltage? That's what adds more wear and tear to the battery. I know that the popularity of the "15 minute" chargers for AAs and the like, are great when you need it recharged in a hurry, but don't expect the battery to last you very long.
    All of what you say is completely true.

A Lithium Ion battery has an optimum charge rate. This is a function of the physics and chemistry of the battery. It cannot be changed.

Exceeding the maximum (probably a bit higher than the previously mentioned optimum rate) charge rate will damage the battery and generate more heat.

RIM will have designed the charging/battery management circuits so that they have a compromise between quick charging, long battery life and not much heat generation.

Clearly there is some leeway in here for a bit of extra charge is we don't mind a bit of extra heat and possibly a somewhat shorter battery life (I have no idea how much shorter).

I suspect that if you raise the input voltage too high (above 10 volts I am guessing - this is double the normal 5 volts) then damage could result. The amount of current drawn by the phne will depend on the internal resistance of the charging circuit and the battery itself so jacking up the volatge will increase current flow but the phone will probably limit the current to a maximum somewhere around 1 amp (double the standard USB and 30% above the BlackBerry wall charger's 700mA output).

Thge above will certainly charge the battery quicker in the same way that turning the taps on full will fill your tub quicker than if you regulate the flow by turning them on half way.

If you could hypothetically increase the tap flow into your bath tub, 10 or 20 fold, you would propbaly not fill the tub quicker, you would get water splashing all of the place from the excessive pressure.

It is a similar analagy with the car charger. Give it a bit more and you don't do too much harm but if you supply a huge excess then mayhem results.
    06-16-10 05:35 AM
    The OEM (RIM/BlackBerry branded) car charger for the 9700/8900 is actually less powerful than the wall charger. I decided to go take a look after reading this thread. It is 5V and 500 mAh output.
    06-16-10 07:21 AM
    Totally agree, OEM or at least a trusted manufacturer is best.

As far as OEM, make sure it truly is OEM from a trusted source - there are PLENTY of knockoffs out there. Buying OEM on Amazon is great, but I will only buy it if it's actually sold and shipped by Amazon. Otherwise the chances are good that it's a substandard product.

As far as my own BB, I use a Motorola P513 car charger purchased directly from Motorola. So yeah, I paid a lot but I have peace of mind knowing its lineage
    06-16-10 07:43 AM
    The OEM (RIM/BlackBerry branded) car charger for the 9700/8900 is actually less powerful than the wall charger. I decided to go take a look after reading this thread. It is 5V and 500 mAh output.
    My old 8310 and 8100 chargers are 500mA and my 9800 and 9700 chargers are 700mA.

This is why some (but not all) PC USB ports will not charge a late model BlackBerry. The specification for USB power is 5 Volts at 500mA.

milliamps (1/1000 Amps) is a measurement of current whilst millamp-hours mAH (the H stands for hours) is a measurement of battery capacity a 1000mAH battery can deliver 1 Amp (1000mA) for one hour before it becomes disharged.

The same battery could also deliver 100mA for ten hours.
    06-16-10 07:57 AM
    I feel dumb now for such an oversight, especially having it explained to me, haha. Definitely aware of what mA and mAH are. Was at work and only halfway paying attention. :P
    Last edited by berkdavis; 06-16-10 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Grammatical correction.
    06-16-10 04:49 PM
    I feel dumb now for such an oversight, especially having it explained to me, haha. Definitely aware of what mA and mAH are. Was at work and only halfway paying attention. :P
    Oh, I was not correcting you.

I was just explaining in a general sort of way to all who were even vaguely interested.
    06-16-10 04:55 PM
    Oh, I was not correcting you.

I was just explaining in a general sort of way to all who were even vaguely interested.
    A great number of us are geeks or aspiring geeks, so I'm sure there are plenty that find it interesting.
    06-16-10 05:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD