Hi guys looking for some case advice. I am a police officer in a UK force and am currently issued with a Bold 9000 in an Otterbox Defender case as our mobile data solution.

We are getting a handset upgrade in the next couple of months and I have selected the 9900 but may need to get a case as it looks like we will just have the standard leather holsters this time around to cut costs.

What case would you recommend? My first thought was another defender but there appears to be some issues with this case though I believe there is a new revision recently launched. I have also considered an otterbox commuter in either a Bold 9000 holster or the seidio active holster.

Basically I want decent impact protection, some weather resistance and a holster with sleeper magnet functionality. Bulk is not an issue as it is worn overtly and I have no issue with my current defender case.

Thanks for your help.
    12-28-11 09:54 AM
    Dunno, but you are going to like the upgrade. 9900 is like the 9000 but better in every way. Except the trackpad. They still don't have that 100% sorted yet. Trackball rules.
    12-28-11 10:54 AM
    I say stick with what works and Otterbox has proven itself over time. BTW ...tracpad is much better than tracball. Good luck with you decision
    12-28-11 11:12 AM
    Hi guys looking for some case advice. I am a police officer in a UK force and am currently issued with a Bold 9000 in an Otterbox Defender case as our mobile data solution.

We are getting a handset upgrade in the next couple of months and I have selected the 9900 but may need to get a case as it looks like we will just have the standard leather holsters this time around to cut costs.

What case would you recommend? My first thought was another defender but there appears to be some issues with this case though I believe there is a new revision recently launched. I have also considered an otterbox commuter in either a Bold 9000 holster or the seidio active holster.

Basically I want decent impact protection, some weather resistance and a holster with sleeper magnet functionality. Bulk is not an issue as it is worn overtly and I have no issue with my current defender case.

Thanks for your help.
    I've been using a 9930 with a Defender since launch, problem with the original design was the bottom of the silicone going around the base of the phone didn't hook in well and made it difficult to return to holster. Mine was loose fitting to begin with and has now gotten to the point where it won't go back in unless I straighten up the fit plus guide it. Replacement has been ordered last Friday and is en route.
    12-28-11 11:17 AM
    Hello,

For tough protection when you need it and sleek case when you don't, we suggest our CONVERT Case, here is a link: https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=6k2VZ2jB

The best part about this three-layer case is that fact that you can have the heavy duty protection along with a Sleeper-Function (Locking) Holster when you are on duty or need the extra protection. Whenever you would like to carry less bulk, you can remove the skin and skeleton and just have the sleek SURFACE case!

Please let us know if you have any questions or comments about it.

Regards,
    DocDRM and AugustArborists like this.
    12-28-11 11:25 AM
    You should get BeBuzz with the Police disco light setting!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-28-11 11:26 AM
    Hi, I considered a Otterbox defender for my 9900 but decided that I wanted a little more flexibility and decided to go the way that I did for my bold 9780. I have a Otterbox commuter case and either use a Bold 9000 leather belt holster on rare occasions i have it on my belt or leather pouch for when carried in shirt pocket. The Bold 9000 cases can be picked up very cheaply on fleabay.

Good to see a fellow UK poster.
    12-28-11 01:23 PM
    Thanks for all the quick feedback guys, great community.

Palomartian,
    Yeah can't wait, Vodafone provided demo units as we were given the choice of the 9900, 9810 or 9860 so all preferences were catered for. 9900 all the way, AMAZING keyboard and lovely high DPI screen. The 9810 was okay but the keyboard was not nearly as nice and the screen was only bigger, no additional resolution. I also had doubts about the slider holding up over 2 years. The 9860 is not for me, possibly ok for sending short texts but for doing any serious work the on screen keyboard was terrible from my experience of it.

Reubechs,
    The skin coming loose does seem to be the issue I keep hearing about but I think it will work okay for me and as I wear the holster on the shoulder loop of my body armour it's easy to holster.

Firefighter0793,
    Does the sleep function work with the commuter and the 9000 case? Wasn't sure if the magnets were in the same place.

Probably leaning towards the defender at the moment as my current one has kept my 9000 immaculate after 2 years of front line usage but the commuter/9000 case combo is rather slick.

Thanks.
    12-28-11 02:07 PM
    My gf's last phone looked like and she only had it for 6 months. So I got her a otterbox commuter when she got the new bold. Her phone still looks new so I think it offers more than enough protection for 99% of the people out there.
    12-28-11 02:09 PM
    Hello,

For tough protection when you need it and sleek case when you don't, we suggest our CONVERT Case, here is a link: https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=6k2VZ2jB

The best part about this three-layer case is that fact that you can have the heavy duty protection along with a Sleeper-Function (Locking) Holster when you are on duty or need the extra protection. Whenever you would like to carry less bulk, you can remove the skin and skeleton and just have the sleek SURFACE case!

Regards,
    I have the CONVERT case, it's great! I also ordered the Surface holster, it's my slow season, so total protection is not always needed. Otter Box IS a good case (one saved my 9630's behind more than once), but my vote would be the Seidio CONVERT, it's two cases in one.
    12-28-11 02:16 PM
    I have the NEW version of the Defender on my 9900 and I would say it is a huge improvement.

I was the disturber who brought up the scarring issue with the original Defender, and OtterBox has take the right steps to alleviate this issue and the new version of the case is snug and tight. absolutely no movement of the device inside the hard plastic case.
    Riggs5177 likes this.
    12-28-11 03:37 PM
    i have the commuter and it works awesome. screen protector as well. i like it better than the defender as it is still very slim and fits in the pockets well. defender does add the next level of durability though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-11 03:48 PM
    Riggs

Yes the magnets dont seem to work but with the standby button on the top of the 9900 I have got into the habbit of pressing it as I reholster and it hasnt proven to be a problem. I have seen in a previous thread somewhere where someone sorted their case out with an additional magnet.
    Riggs5177 likes this.
    12-28-11 06:47 PM
    Hello,

Regards,
    I like your cases. Why wouldn't you guys offer a clear plastic key pad protector? Otterbox had one for my 9700. I upgraded to a 9900 only to find out the defender case no longer has the key protector. I wondered why would a company offer such a high level of protection, yet not protect the keys? Dumb founding to say the least.

I am now selling my 9900 ( with a broken heart). Looking at the touch torch, or dare i say...the nexus.
    12-28-11 09:07 PM
    Hello,

Regards,
    Your Defender case with the belt clip is disappointing. You guys sent me a new rubber cover after my cover began to peel off only to realize two months later it is NOT the rubber cover causing the issue, it is the clip itself.
    12-28-11 09:47 PM
    i recant my recommendation of the Defender by OtterBox.

16 hours with the new case and the foam is coming off/
    12-29-11 01:25 PM
    Your Defender case with the belt clip is disappointing. You guys sent me a new rubber cover after my cover began to peel off only to realize two months later it is NOT the rubber cover causing the issue, it is the clip itself.
    Why are you complaining to Seidio about an OtterBox case?
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-29-11 01:30 PM
    Why are you complaining to Seidio about an OtterBox case?
    i was wondering the same thing. i'm going to to apple about rim now. baiiii
    12-29-11 03:29 PM
    i recant my recommendation of the Defender by OtterBox.

16 hours with the new case and the foam is coming off/
    That's what mine looked like from day one back in Sept. I have a warranty replacement on the way; did you get yours brand new from the site or reseller?
    12-29-11 04:34 PM
    i would recommend the Otterbox commuter. not to big and pretty tough. stay safe
    12-29-11 10:01 PM
    Thanks for all the feedback. Given the defender still having issues then I may go with a commuter case. Cheers guys.
    12-30-11 04:23 PM
    I say stick with what works and Otterbox has proven itself over time. BTW ...tracpad is much better than tracball. Good luck with you decision
    I would take his advice, I agree.
    12-31-11 01:10 PM
    I'm LEO as well. Loved the Otterbox for all my past BB phones (Pearl - Tour - Bold 9650). I just ordered the Seidio converter combo this time, though. The clip on that one was just too much to pass up. Clipping the shorter Otterbox to my duty belt left the lower section digging into my side. I am hopping the stronger, larger clip will do well. I also like the option of the surface case for off duty wear. The other deciding factor is the fit lately of Otterbox cases. Rubber edges kept creeping up on my 9650 case. We'll see...
    01-13-12 07:38 PM
    the new otterbox defender case isn't any better than the original. Silicone skin keeps coming loose and interferes with the holster.
    Good product - but the case design for the 9900 could a redo.
    01-14-12 11:35 AM
    Riggs5177,
    I searched and debated case/holster combinations. I had heard stories about Otterbox .... some swear by them some are indifferent. I decided to branch out and try something different and ended up buying Seidio combo as was on sale at the CrackBerry store. I do have a different phone than you, but I an very pleased with design and quality. I've dropped my phone more times than count and the case works awesome. When I upgrade I will not hesitate to get a Seidio case again.
    01-14-12 12:00 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD