of the cases that AT&T currently offers, the otter box is good, but it does have some faults that I want to share:

1) far too slippery for a case. I used to have a silcone case for my bold 9000 and sure, it attracts all sorts of lint and sometimes is impossible to get out of your pocket, but it's easy to hold. I worry about dropping the torch every time I take it out of my pocket since the is surface is so smooth. makes it slightly more difficult to open the slider for me if you dont put your fingers on the screen.
    2) the backplate of the otterbox case makes it impossible to use certain headphones and auxiliary cables. I couldnt use the headphones that came with my bold because the connecter cant get all the want into the headphone jack. May want to try it out before you buy otherwise you'll have to get new cables.
    3) top part that attaches to the slider can make it difficult to hit some of the keys on the top row when you are trying to type.

it is bulky and provides decent protection, but I need something new to come out because I can't get over the first fault I listed. All of the current cases are too slippery. Plan on returning it soon.
    08-15-10 02:20 AM
    Otterbox and the AGF Case at the AT&T store both share the same problem. Top piece that snaps onto the screen gets in the way of top row on keyboard. Also, Otterbox screen piece fell off first day, had to return it for another one, that one fell off too so I got the AGF...screen piece on AGF stays on there to tight that you can't get it off without risking breaking it, which is probably why they sell it with two screen pieces.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Mamaluka; 08-15-10 at 05:34 AM.
    08-15-10 05:32 AM
    I have the Otterbox Commuter from the AT&T store where I got the phone.
    It adds some bulk but I actually like it because it just "feels" good, can't really elaborate, it's just a preference. I have the screen protector and I feel comfortable putting it in my bag.
    The bottom piece does add to the keyboard so it takes some getting used to, but I can get used to it for the sake of protecting the device fully.
    08-15-10 06:05 AM
    I have the Otterbox. It does add a little bulk, this is the only downside to it for me. It makes the phone feel much more solid. And it does not get in the way of using any of the phone functions. Actually it makes it easier to open the slider. So far I like it. If you want to pit it in a holster with the otterbox also, the 9000 holster fits perfect.

08-15-10 07:05 AM
    I bought it from YourWirelessstore.com

It fits the phone well.
    Last edited by jacksam2010; 08-17-10 at 09:58 AM.
    08-17-10 09:48 AM
    This is my 4th otterbox, I had one for the 3g, 3gs, bold 9700 and now the torch, yes its bulky, but it will protect my phone and leave me happy, while the people who dont have it will drop and break their phone and leave them pissed they didnt buy it. OB rules.
    08-17-10 10:42 AM
    I got the OB. Like others have said, it's somewhat bulky and there is a rubber piece that lines the inner part. It feel pretty indestructible. I "modded" mine, and sanded down the bottom portion of the slider plastic in order to make the top keys more accessible. Sanding the bottom part a mere 1/16th-1/8th inch really helped! FYI, I used a series of 100 grit, 600 grit, then 1000 grit paper to smooth everything out.
    08-17-10 11:06 AM
    I purchased one yesterday (having an unprotected Torch made me a nervous wreck). Good thing I'm female, because the only cases the AT&T store had were in black and pink. I do not find it interfering with the use of the bottom keys or the trackpad. I do not find it unnecessarily bulky (it still fits in my 9000 holster!). And I have a peace of mind, and can breathe a sigh of relief, knowing it's better protected from my destructive toddler if she somehow manages to get her sneaky hands on it.

I felt the same way... I got the purple case-mate barely there when I bought the Torch Thursday as it was all they had (not even a screen protector) then got the screen Ghost Armor-ed at a nearby kiosk at the mall where I bought the phone.
    But, the top portion of the case-mate popped off easily and often, so as soon as I get it together I'll be taking it back.
    I picked up the Otter Box - almost ended up with the pink and black one ugh, I'm a girl who does not like pink - on Sunday and am much happier with it.
    Perhaps because I have smaller hands the lip of the top piece does not seem to interfere with usage of the home buttons/track pad for me. I also find it easier to push the slider up using the lip of the top of the case.
    I don't mind the bulk at all, makes the device feel that much more solid and well protected, and I need to not only protect my device from drops but from a destructive, grabby nine month old.
    08-17-10 12:18 PM
    I felt the same way... I got the purple case-mate barely there when I bought the Torch Thursday as it was all they had (not even a screen protector) then got the screen Ghost Armor-ed at a nearby kiosk at the mall where I bought the phone.
    But, the top portion of the case-mate popped off easily and often, so as soon as I get it together I'll be taking it back.
    I picked up the Otter Box - almost ended up with the pink and black one ugh, I'm a girl who does not like pink - on Sunday and am much happier with it.
    Perhaps because I have smaller hands the lip of the top piece does not seem to interfere with usage of the home buttons/track pad for me. I also find it easier to push the slider up using the lip of the top of the case.
    I don't mind the bulk at all, makes the device feel that much more solid and well protected, and I need to not only protect my device from drops but from a destructive, grabby nine month old.
    Just picked up the purple case mate barely there case for the wife. Told her to save the packaging and receipt in case it doesn't work out. I am concerned about the slider cover as well. We shall see.
    08-17-10 01:05 PM
    I love mine so far. I do not mind the extra bulk and it makes the Torch in my bosses words "looks like a transformer".

Edit: I don't know if anyone else had this problem but with the case on it made it easier for me to slide the screen up.
    Last edited by raylol16; 08-17-10 at 01:28 PM.
    08-17-10 01:21 PM
    Just picked up the purple case mate barely there case for the wife. Told her to save the packaging and receipt in case it doesn't work out. I am concerned about the slider cover as well. We shall see.
    It could well have been user error on my part but it can't be THAT hard to get the top piece to stay on.
    08-17-10 01:42 PM
    I "modded" mine, and sanded down the bottom portion of the slider plastic in order to make the top keys more accessible. Sanding the bottom part a mere 1/16th-1/8th inch really helped!
    Can't stress enough how much of a difference a little sanding makes. Should we have to do this? No. But mtnbiker is dead on.

Without the front plate it fits the car mount for my Bold 9000, and my Bold 9000 belt clip can hold case/phone together.

Given there's no charging contacts, I won't be buying a charging dock anytime soon. That means I won't be taking this case off...ever.
    08-20-10 11:04 PM
    Does the 9800 Commuter case include a screen protector? Or do I need to buy a separate one to be protected there, too?
    08-23-10 07:30 AM
    Does the 9800 Commuter case include a screen protector? Or do I need to buy a separate one to be protected there, too?
    You have to buy one seperately. :-(
    08-23-10 12:21 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD