I thought I'd warn anyone who didn't already know about the poor quality of Otterbox defender case for Bold 9700.

I recently bought a 9700 bold and needed a heavy duty case as I'm a police officer and my phone needs to be protected and I wanted a belt clip. Anyways, did alot of research and determined that the otterbox defender series case was what I needed.

I bought it, was very happy with it and then it broke. Ya, the "toughest" case out there broke. I quickly learned that I was not alone after a quick google and that this seemed to be the way the case was designed, to break. The little plastic tab that is the retaining piece on the side cracked and the retention power went to about 50%, so my phone was constantly falling out onto the floor, mud, concrete, stairs etc....fantastic! a case that actually hurt my phone. It was safer in my pocket. The tab finally broke off today; anout a month and a half after I bought it.

So I toss out a warning. DO your homework. Not all otterbox products are created equally, and the bold 9700 defender series case is GARBAGE.

Ya, they replaced it under warranty, but I'm tossing it. I can't be bothered to have my phone always falling out on the floor and having to replace it under warranty.

Buyer beware!

P.S. Great site, BB rules!
    09-28-10 10:02 PM
    You could try layering silicone soft cases (9700 case, iphone case on top of it with camera holes cut out with a knife) and it should make for some good protection. Or a hard on top of a soft one.

Just suggesting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-10 10:08 PM
    hey shuanov, I feel (felt) your pain, I had the exact same issue and after the 3rd holster broke i said enough!!!! I researched and actually found a thread on this site about a holster for "us". it is the Seido Innocase Rugged holster. I paid 30 bucks for it and I havent looked back. I still use the otterbox defender case but I use the Seido holster (it fits a 2" belt too Below is the link to it

Innocase Rugged Add-on Kit For use with BlackBerry 9700
    09-28-10 10:19 PM
    I have had the Otterbox Commuter Series Case for a while now and it has worked great. It fits perfectly in my pocket and doesn't feel big at all.

Saved my Bold many times against the road. :P
    09-28-10 11:02 PM
    no problem with my 9700 bold defender series, having it about 6 months now. few drops but phone still great. Bottomline: no matter how you care for it, if it dies.. it will.
    09-29-10 12:28 AM
    So your issue is the holster rather than the case itself? Otterbox recently redesigned the 9700 holster, I didn't notice any real visual difference but retention in the new design is a bit better.

I thought I'd warn anyone who didn't already know about the poor quality of Otterbox defender case for Bold 9700.

I recently bought a 9700 bold and needed a heavy duty case as I'm a police officer and my phone needs to be protected and I wanted a belt clip. Anyways, did alot of research and determined that the otterbox defender series case was what I needed.

I bought it, was very happy with it and then it broke. Ya, the "toughest" case out there broke. I quickly learned that I was not alone after a quick google and that this seemed to be the way the case was designed, to break. The little plastic tab that is the retaining piece on the side cracked and the retention power went to about 50%, so my phone was constantly falling out onto the floor, mud, concrete, stairs etc....fantastic! a case that actually hurt my phone. It was safer in my pocket. The tab finally broke off today; anout a month and a half after I bought it.

So I toss out a warning. DO your homework. Not all otterbox products are created equally, and the bold 9700 defender series case is GARBAGE.

Ya, they replaced it under warranty, but I'm tossing it. I can't be bothered to have my phone always falling out on the floor and having to replace it under warranty.

Buyer beware!

P.S. Great site, BB rules!
    09-29-10 06:14 AM
    Not only is the holster a weak point over previous versions, the case cramps hitting the keys on the left and right side. For us folks with fat fingers, it makes it hard to hit these keys.

I put up a picture showing the gap difference between the 8900 and 9700 otterbox cases... the extra "finger" room on the 8900 was a nice margin.

8900 vs 9700
    09-29-10 09:14 AM
    Ya my biggest issue was retention into the supplied belt clip/holster. The hard plastic case/silicone cover for the phone itself is alright. Due to the crappy design of the holster the phone has sustained many a falls to the floor and no damage; just bounces off the concrete (can't be good for it though). Its just I bought it partly because of the levels of protection, but also because it integrated a holster.

For those of you who have them, take a close look at your retention clips, put some outward pressure on them with your finger and look for hairline cracks in the plastic. Thats how mine started. Brand new the phone clipped in there and nothin was taking it out, but once the hair line cracks appeared retention reduced as the cracks got bigger with use. Otter box obviously put very little thought into the design of the holster, or did no field testing.

Anyways, I have ordered a seido case and will be selling my otterbox once the new warranty replacement arrives.
    09-29-10 12:49 PM
    hey shuanov, I feel (felt) your pain, I had the exact same issue and after the 3rd holster broke i said enough!!!! I researched and actually found a thread on this site about a holster for "us". it is the Seido Innocase Rugged holster. I paid 30 bucks for it and I havent looked back. I still use the otterbox defender case but I use the Seido holster (it fits a 2" belt too Below is the link to it

Innocase Rugged Add-on Kit For use with BlackBerry 9700
    I just ordered a Seidio Innocase Rugged Holster to replace the Otterbox Holster. I had a Seidio Innocase 360 but that didn't last long either due to the keyboard cover stretching out and it was more of a hassle then it was worth.
    09-29-10 12:53 PM
    Get a sleeve or a cheap silicon case and put it in your breast pocket! Your smart phone should NEVER be on a belt clip. 1) too risky it might fall off without your noticing 2) aren't there already police office **** on your belt? Doesn't it get in the way of that and 3) It make you look stupid. In a breast pocket it'll be safe, even when your taking out a skateboarder at the park!
    09-29-10 01:05 PM
    Get a sleeve or a cheap silicon case and put it in your breast pocket! Your smart phone should NEVER be on a belt clip. 1) too risky it might fall off without your noticing 2) aren't there already police office **** on your belt? Doesn't it get in the way of that and 3) It make you look stupid. In a breast pocket it'll be safe, even when your taking out a skateboarder at the park!
    The standard blackberry stock holster, or other (smart) or iphone holster (it's more roomy, bit taller, perfect for thick wide phones ) plus a silicone case, and a hard case put over the silicone case plus a screen protector, will be of high value.

Use a deck of cards, or two, in order to resize and stretch the elastic (takes 1-2 weeks) to fit double the size of the bold's thickness and you'll be fine.

09-29-10 01:38 PM
    Hello everyone,

I too was having my 9700 constantly falling out of the holster. So, I got to thinking that new curve AT&T has sure looks similar in size and shape. I went and did a test fit at the store with my phone and defender case in a Curve 8500 defender holster. It fit sort of out of the box. The little nubs inside were tugging the silicon portion too much for my liking though.

But if you have time to spare here is what I did to mod it and now have a wonderful holster in my opinion. Get a fingernail file. The one I used is a Coarse 100/180. And go to work on those little nubs inside the holster with the 180 side. Keep in mind do a little filing at a time and then do a test fit. File more, test fit, etc. until you get a hold to your liking. Then give them a quick little "polish" with the 100 side. Remember just take a little at a time because you can't put it back after you've taken it off. I have mine filed down to where and it can be upside down and shaken fairly violently and not lose grip on the phone, yet still easily unholstered when I need it.

A little personal note I got carried away on one and took the little nubs almost completely off and if you do this it will fall out if its upside down.

Hopes this helps somebody. I think it works Great!!!! Take care.
    12-04-10 05:43 PM
    So your issue is the holster rather than the case itself? Otterbox recently redesigned the 9700 holster, I didn't notice any real visual difference but retention in the new design is a bit better.
    This is what they usually do, when an issue keep coming up like this, they redesign. You should contact them, they are pretty good about standing behind their products. No doubt they can send you the new design.

12-04-10 05:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD