I'm a police motorcycle officer and use a Department issued BlackBerry 8350i with an OtterBox Defender case. I must say that I love it, particularly for the road dust, grime, occasional shower and general abuse any piece of motor equipment takes.

I always figured it would somehow get abused on the motor, however this evening my wife managed to shut the tailgate of our KIA Sedona on the OtterBox/BlackBerry. We were leaving the pool with two kids, and the associated baggage. My BB was in the stroller cupholder so she took it out and laid it on the bumper before putting the stroller away. When I noticed the tailgate open light on the dash, and heard my wife's "Oops" I wasn't sure what to expect.

Well I must tell you that it's OtterBox 1, KIA O! Not a scratch on the BB, and the only damage sustained on the OB was a sliced keyboard protector.

Sure, it's big & bulky, black and ugly, but it'll take a lickin'. I don't think the Seidio 360'll do that...
    05-23-09 08:41 PM
    Yeah, I've had mine fall off my duty belt a few times. Love the otter box case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-09 10:44 PM
    i love my otterbox. i'm a painter and this thing protects the entire phone. a little pricey but better than paying the $100 tep.
    05-25-09 08:25 AM
    That's pretty incredible. *goes off to purchase an otterbox*
    05-25-09 09:05 AM
    That's pretty incredible. *goes off to purchase an otterbox*
    X2! I work in a enviroment where my phone gets dusty and I get dusty and dirty so this sounds like it should work perfect for me. Thanks for posting this. I am convienced now!
    05-26-09 06:45 PM
    thats awesome! i didn't know they were that strong!
    05-27-09 10:30 AM
    Well I must tell you that it's OtterBox 1, KIA O! Not a scratch on the BB, and the only damage sustained on the OB was a sliced keyboard protector.

Sure, it's big & bulky, black and ugly, but it'll take a lickin'. I don't think the Seidio 360'll do that...
    Well, now it's OtterBox 2, KIA 0.

When I contacted OtterBox about the incident, they replied on Memorial Day that they were sending me a new keyboard cover free of charge!
    05-27-09 10:32 AM
    Wow sounds like they have great customer service and care about their customers. Good stuff!
    05-27-09 02:47 PM
    Wow... I have wondered how good they are. There are times I end up in some places that will but my BB in areas that need major protection. This is something that is good to know.
    05-27-09 04:43 PM
    Wow sounds like they have great customer service and care about their customers. Good stuff!
    I agree... Because if that was to happen to another type of case, our first thought would be. "Now I have to purchase a new case to replace the one that had gotten damaged."
    05-27-09 04:46 PM
    X2! I work in a enviroment where my phone gets dusty and I get dusty and dirty so this sounds like it should work perfect for me. Thanks for posting this. I am convienced now!
    i'm like you working in dusty conditions and my otterbox was covered with paint and dust. i just installed an 8gb card and had to take it out the case. the phone didn't have a dust or paint mark on it!
    05-27-09 08:34 PM
    OK, I saw the light, the OP got me thinking and today I found my local Sprint Retail store had one on the shelf for the same price as the Otterbox website so I bought it.
    05-28-09 01:47 PM
    I have to admit my OB has saved my bacon many times. I have never put in a live or death struggle with a KIA but my money is on the OB. With the add bulk (which I actually like as it makes it weasier to hold) I feel much more secure and even a bit brave. When not in the OB I feel as though my BB is exposed and I have reached threat level RED (whatever that means).
    05-28-09 02:15 PM
    i bougbht an otterbox after i dropped my 8350i on a concrete step and put a hole in the screen 3 days of owning it. This otterbox has saved my new replacement so many times. everytime i take the bb out to clean the otterbox, the bb looks immaculant - brand new!
    05-28-09 06:31 PM
    Firefighter here.....love the OB! feel much better after the big investment in the 8350i to have some security blanket around the phone. Does add bulk to the phone. Like that the screen is REALLY protected from scratches! Work in the construction field also, constantly in and out of heavy equipment and trucks, not a big deal, but you no longer have to worry about the phone coming out of the OEM belt clip! Well worth the purchase....bought it right here and was on the door step in two days for a couple extra bucks!
    05-28-09 08:27 PM
    I have an Otterbox for my 8350i too. I was wondering if any of you Law Enforcement users have tried the special belt clip they have for duty belts. I am interested in getting one of them and would appreciate any input from someone who has used one.
    05-29-09 08:48 PM
    I have an Otterbox for my 8350i too. I was wondering if any of you Law Enforcement users have tried the special belt clip they have for duty belts. I am interested in getting one of them and would appreciate any input from someone who has used one.
    I have one, the other one won't fit on my 2.25" duty belt. It is practically identical to the original. I have two complaints. First, the clip is extremely tight and has no hinge. So it won't fit properly on any section of your belt that's doubled up. May not be a problem for you and the configuration of your equipment. Where I carry my phone is a doubled up belt and it only slides on about halfway down. If it's not in a thick section, the bottom "hook" snaps securely and it's not coming off.

That brings me to my second complaint (and it's the same with the original as well). The pivot/hinge is located very near the top of the holster. When the holster is worn vertically, the bottom of the holster is very low. I think it would be better if they redesigned it with the pivot/hinge a bit lower.

Overall I would recommend it for duty use though.
    05-30-09 11:10 AM
    OtterBox 3, KIA 0

I just received my package from OtterBox. Not one, but two, keyboard covers.

Love this case and company!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-09 04:42 PM
    Yeah they have great customer service i ripped my usb port cover the other day they sent me a new silicone case immediately for free this is the best case for me and my line of work
    06-03-09 05:24 PM
    Hello all I new to crackberry and this is my first post. I have the 8350i and would be lost with out it lol. Like the rest of you here I also have the otter box I work in a wearhouse and man oh man has my phone been droped, I spend most my day on a forklift moving fast and a fall like that i thought that it wld die for sure but after almost 6mo it is still going strong. I have to say that otter box is the best!!
    06-04-09 10:54 AM
    I just got my OB in the mail today when i got home from work. ordered it sunday at like midnight, got email at 10am monday saying it was shipped, off ebay for $32 (brand new in package) with free shipping.

Even though i havent been able to (or had to) put it to the test in the 2 hours ive had it, i no longer worry about my 4 year old navigating through the folders and playing all my ringtones and everything else. im very happy with it and its designed a lot better than i thought it was going to be. like how the keyguard i formfitted for the keypad, i had this bad feeling that it was going to be just a smooth flat plastic cover for some reason.
    06-04-09 07:25 PM
    My Telus rep gave me a defender case today for free. Haven't tried it yet, but it sure looks like its rugid. Glad to read some positive feedback before I went ahead with it.
    06-04-09 08:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD