I think there is another potential driver for the success of BBM music. Record comanies can market their product on BBM music first and decide what single they release, let the BBM world tell them if its a hit before they spend all the money they spend. If that were to happen many more people would use it just for a chance to hear their favorite artist first.
    08-28-11 07:53 PM
    PC World has really stepped up the negative pieces on RIM over the last year. It's seems to be just an attempt to drive traffic as they offer very little insight.
    Finally, someone else noticed.
    08-28-11 08:21 PM
    PC World has really stepped up the negative pieces on RIM over the last year. It's seems to be just an attempt to drive traffic as they offer very little insight.
    This would be a stronger argument if RIM hadn't been struggling over the last year.
    08-28-11 10:07 PM
    Here's the question, if music labels thought this was a bad idea they wouldn't have signed agreements with RIM.

Obviously they think this will work.
    08-29-11 03:27 AM
    they might have 17% marketshare but another article mentioned there are about 55 million active BBM users which is still quite a few. Many of which are no where in the US to be seen. I have seen huge decline where I work and 1-2 of my friends still have BBs. everyone else has moved on. For this to be beneficial you are going to need to have friends still using a BB.
    False

about 95% of my BBM music friends are not actual BBM contact.
    08-29-11 08:59 PM
    only if your friends have a BB. if they dont then YOU wont want it either
    Again, you're assuming that you can ONLY have your BBM contact list share music with you. This is FALSE. I keep getting random invites from people I've never heard of and currently have almost 3000 songs.
    08-29-11 09:00 PM
    Here's the question, if music labels thought this was a bad idea they wouldn't have signed agreements with RIM.

Good point, from what I've read there is almost 10 million songs on BBMM. That's an awful of content companies have gave RIM access to. Makes me wonder how many songs Pandroa had before it even launched. Any music service with that much content before it is even released is pretty impressive in my opinion.
    08-29-11 09:07 PM

Are you serious right now? The music labels make most of their money off actual hardware and not DRM. The more services out there selling music(mp3's) the less they make.
    They are a business!! They will sign anything that will help them make any money possible. You're equating the signing to ultimate success as if no venture ever signed by any sort of large company has ever failed. No, they'll do anything that might bring in a potential profit. They don't lose isht if BBM Music fails, I surely hope you don't truly think otherwise.

It's pretty funny that when new BlackBerry devices here are compared to others, the whole "communications" and "business" device is thrown around left and right, yet these "communicators" and businessmen/women" have time to discover tons of music from people they don't really know. Lot's of time on their hands eh?

I'm most definitely a RIM proponent but BBMM means well but will not take off either globally or here in the U.S. I don't want to get into a back and forth here, all I'll say is we can re-visit this topic in 6-12 months and see whether or not it's actually taken off. I hope it does provide RIM extra revenue it needs, but with the current format being what it is meanwhile the competition is doing much more advanced things it's hard to see BBM Music really going anywhere. Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it. Let's not compare Pandora(Free) to BBM. And let's not compare Spotify either.
    avt123 likes this.
    08-29-11 09:53 PM
    Let's not compare Pandora(Free) to BBM. And let's not compare Spotify either.
    your correct, we shouldnt compare that, lets compare music platforms/apps that allow me to not only see my friends/contacts music, but to also listen to it too.

oh, wait, that`ll be no other service then.

and pandora is out of the question anyways, BBM is global, Pandora is US only. everyone needs to look at the big (i.e international) picture, not just inside their own country.
    08-29-11 11:36 PM
    let's remember too that the music industry is in shambles... so like CX said, they'll sign anything that may bring a potential profit. The music industry fought the digital revolution and lost, and is still losing today. There are many more reasons behind this (listen to the radio, garbage), but the music industry over the past 15 years has been all about profits (instead of cultivating careers) and chasing said profits like a chicken with its head cut off. It's frantic, so it's no surprise they'll sign on to BBMM.

Also...there's no overhead for the record labels on it. So...yeah...

I apologize for the mini rant about the music industry. Kept it as small as possible fortunately with the way things are right now, more independent musicians are able to release music on their own. It's just a matter of music fans supporting them so that they can continue to put out their great craft. I hope BBMM helps people continually discover something new to support.
    08-30-11 12:10 AM
    BBM Music holds much potential!

Many who carry a negative sentiment towards BBM Music for whatever reason are those on the forum and beyond that don't even use a BB as a daily driver,(through my observations). I stick with BB because a phone is a communication device first intended for the means of social reach.

RIM is #1 in communications. And Music is an integral piece to the Blackberry Social Platform. We are aware of the current offering and foundation of BBM Music, however RIM will grow a structure to this that we currently aren't aware of

People better come up with dahm better reasons then a "5 reasons " list as to why it will fail.

For the most part those who view it with a failure based attitude are being corrected by others as to their misinformed and misguided understanding of the service.

This is a social service....It isn't intended for music ownership, sole possession more so as a means for people who like music to a point where they are willing to pay to participate in an online community to share, explore, discover and expand their reason for joining the service...which is being social through music

I'm gonna go one step further. Many people will have no issue at all with 5 dollars a months for BBM Music , as many people have no issue paying to build up an unnecessary app ecosystem on an iPhone which could subsequently be provided through core native functions.
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 08-30-11 at 12:37 AM.
    08-30-11 12:13 AM
    I'm actually enjoying the living daylights out of it. Loaded some songs, found some songs on my friends' lists that I hadn't heard and I like, I had someone add me to their list, and today I'll about to add someone. It will be a fun way to discover music I would not have normally listened to.
    08-30-11 03:17 AM
    I'm actually enjoying the living daylights out of it. Loaded some songs, found some songs on my friends' lists that I hadn't heard and I like, I had someone add me to their list, and today I'll about to add someone. It will be a fun way to discover music I would not have normally listened to.
    Im up to 250 songs now and only joined last night, all cached on my memory card so no streaming needed, loving it!
    08-30-11 03:43 AM
    Everyone inside the beta that I have seen is loving it. I have 140ish contacts (3627 songs) and I have yet to see a negative comment or status message, but I see an awful lot of love. Even a ZD Net blogger is loving it. He said "shoot BBM Music is worth the $5 per month just for the fun"

Inside the beta it's nothing but love. But on the outside you have people like the guy who wrote this post claiming the service is destined to fail.

The moron wrote a 2 page post full of misinformation and then later on in the comments of the same post people began correcting all of his errors and eventually he admitted he had never used it and he was unaware of how the service actually works, for example he had no idea that the people you share with are not necessarily your BBM friends. His argument went from BBM Music being a rip off because you wont have enough songs to BBM music will be annoying because you will have too many songs and then he began removing the comments that made him look like a fool.

Gotta love the blind hatred.
    08-30-11 10:55 AM
    Everyone inside the beta that I have seen is loving it. I have 140ish contacts (3627 songs) and I have yet to see a negative comment or status message, but I see an awful lot of love. Even a ZD Net blogger is loving it. He said "shoot BBM Music is worth the $5 per month just for the fun"

Inside the beta it's nothing but love. But on the outside you have people like the guy who wrote this post claiming the service is destined to fail.

The moron wrote a 2 page post full of misinformation and then later on in the comments of the same post people began correcting all of his errors and eventually he admitted he had never used it and he was unaware of how the service actually works, for example he had no idea that the people you share with are not necessarily your BBM friends. His argument went from BBM Music being a rip off because you wont have enough songs to BBM music will be annoying because you will have too many songs and then he began removing the comments that made him look like a fool.

Gotta love the blind hatred.
    Many people who frequent these forums ...mods included who criticize BBM music don't even use BB's as a daily driver. They have left for many of reasons..."Insert here________ reason why" .I have found through my observations that these folks as well as some journalists/ blogger's are out of touch to why us loyalists and new comers enjoy the BB platform aside from what some ios and Android proponents may claim other platforms being so called, " better".

These people IMHO are out of touch as too why so many of us are thrilled and excited about BBM Music. This lies in the HEART and SOUL of what BB offers and what BBM and the BBM social platform as a whole have to offer. These people don't share the same love of the BB platform as we who continue to use BB's as daily drivers as they may be more in touch as to why we view it in a very positive regard!

BBM Music isn't about our personal music collection....it isn't about our music possession or our self contained music experience. This is about engaging SOCIALY in a very engaging and intimate way of sharing and discovering music.

Lastly people are willing to pay dearly to have FUN! This is all about having FUN. Sharing music and participating is FUN! People will pay to have FUN PERIOD!
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 08-30-11 at 11:29 AM.
    08-30-11 11:26 AM
    Lastly people are willing to pay dearly to have FUN! This is all about having FUN. Sharing music and participating is FUN! People will pay to have FUN PERIOD!
    08-30-11 11:41 AM

Music labels also sign a lot of ****ty artist. What's your point? They want money. This is just another way for them to get it.
    08-30-11 12:08 PM
    Don't you think that if they had called it the BBM Music Community that the reception may be different? I live in the Caribbean so I cannot be apart of the beta but I have been reading articles from people who have actually used it. The one thing that struck me was that everyone going into the beta had the wrong idea, they were to concerned with the music side of it and how much money you are paying for only 50 songs.

I believe that if they had specified that it is a Music Community, similar to that of a club and the US$5/month was the membership fee, where the 50 songs were chosen to define your music personality. In this community/club, you could meet people with similar tastes, where you can discover new artists, genres?

Also, keep in mind, a lot of these people have no idea the power of BBM and why the other IM apps are not as good as BBM to BBM users.

Well, that's my 2 cents.
    08-30-11 12:22 PM
    This is what I think of the PC World Article......

Rickroller and Rello like this.
    08-30-11 12:34 PM
    Music labels also sign a lot of ****ty artist. What's your point? They want money. This is just another way for them to get it.
    Wow, really? I expected better from you, Your "****ty" artist might and probably is someone else's favorite artist. Sure they want money, doesn't everybody? Want free music listen to the radio or go to a subway station an listen to street performers, that's where a lot of artists start anyway.

I'm in since last night, I now have 366 songs available and I listened to more music then in months just today and listened to some songs maybe i would've never listened otherwise.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    08-30-11 12:40 PM
    Wow, really? I expected better from you, Your "****ty" artist might and probably is someone else's favorite artist. Sure they want money, doesn't everybody? Want free music listen to the radio or go to a subway station an listen to street performers, that's where a lot of artists start anyway.

I'm in since last night, I now have 366 songs available and I listened to more music then in months just today and listened to some songs maybe i would've never listened otherwise.
    Expected better of what? All I said was the truth. Yes some of those artists are the favorites of some people. There are a lot of mainstream artists right now that are garbage, but they are hip so it's cool. Barely any mainstream artists even write their own music anymore. Beyonce's hit single "single ladies" was written by 3 dudes...

My statement stands. The music industry is filled with ****ty artists. Just because a record label agrees to something doesn't mean it is good. They want money. That is all this is about, money. Not because these people see potential in the service. Even if they do, they don't care about it, they just want the money from it. If it fails, oh well, they are already on to the next money maker.

Maybe you haven't heard of a "one hit wonder", but that's all that most people get in the music industry, especially in America. Labels will sign you for that one hit, and drop you right after it when they know you wont be making anything else remotely decent or that sells. The consumers will forget you (not the song, the artist) even quicker. It happens all the time.
    08-30-11 01:37 PM
    Many people who frequent these forums ...mods included who criticize BBM music don't even use BB's as a daily driver. They have left for many of reasons..."Insert here________ reason why" .I have found through my observations that these folks as well as some journalists/ blogger's are out of touch to why us loyalists and new comers enjoy the BB platform aside from what some ios and Android proponents may claim other platforms being so called, " better".

These people IMHO are out of touch as too why so many of us are thrilled and excited about BBM Music. This lies in the HEART and SOUL of what BB offers and what BBM and the BBM social platform as a whole have to offer. These people don't share the same love of the BB platform as we who continue to use BB's as daily drivers as they may be more in touch as to why we view it in a very positive regard!

BBM Music isn't about our personal music collection....it isn't about our music possession or our self contained music experience. This is about engaging SOCIALY in a very engaging and intimate way of sharing and discovering music.

Actually all of us Mods use BlackBerry's on a daily basis aside from may Moderator Duvi, who usually switches back and forth constantly. Just because people don't think BBM Music will be a big hit doesn't mean they don't use BlackBerry's and it damn sure doesn't mean we don't like the Platform. You sound awful fanboyish and you are obviously naive that you group someone who doesn't like it as automatically not a proponent of the platform. And is this kind of thinking that has RIM where it is.

As for BBM music, I've used it and I have my reasons why I'm not hot about it and why I don't think it will be successful that doesn't mean that I or anyone else who doesn't like it, don't like BlackBerry's or are any less fans of the platform. If you want to debate the merits of the application with an objective point of view we can, although I think that's probably impossible for you considering your above post. But we surely can.
    08-30-11 01:58 PM
    Expected better of what? All I said was the truth. Yes some of those artists are the favorites of some people. There are a lot of mainstream artists right now that are garbage, but they are hip so it's cool. Barely any mainstream artists even write their own music anymore. Beyonce's hit single "single ladies" was written by 3 dudes...

My statement stands. The music industry is filled with ****ty artists. Just because a record label agrees to something doesn't mean it is good. They want money. That is all this is about, money. Not because these people see potential in the service. Even if they do, they don't care about it, they just want the money from it. If it fails, oh well, they are already on to the next money maker.

Maybe you haven't heard of a "one hit wonder", but that's all that most people get in the music industry, especially in America. Labels will sign you for that one hit, and drop you right after it when they know you wont be making anything else remotely decent or that sells. The consumers will forget you (not the song, the artist) even quicker. It happens all the time.
    Artists are not "hip and cool" because the labels say so, obviously a large portion of the population thinks so. The labels just hand pick them out of an ever growing crowd. some one hit wander still have exactly that, one big hit that you will remember. Doesn't matter if they can't reproduce it again.

Who cares anyway, you have to make room for new generations, I enjoy pretty much any music genera except classical music. It works for me.

I'm up to 450 songs now.

edit 473 as i type
    08-30-11 02:14 PM
    A very very cool feature of BBMM is the ability to ignore songs or artists you don't like, you never have to look at them again, how cool is that!
    08-30-11 02:22 PM
    Some of the Mods like it! HOWEVER I'm not sure about the price point, I would be MUCH more comfortable at 1.99 or 2.99 a month. But I love sharing my music with others and vice versa. It reminds me of when I was younger and used to have friends over and I would show off my record collection (anyone remember vinyl), OR trading Grateful Dead tapes. It's the social side that makes it so cool. BUT like I said, I think they are planning to price it a bit too high, lets hope they rethink the price!
    08-30-11 03:01 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD