So, I used ebay to sell my old 9700. I listed it as free shipping (as I was including shipping and handling in the price of the phone). Shipped it out with delivery confirmation, but did not include insurance. Delivery confirmation shows that the phone was delivered two days after I shipped it. About a week later, he sent me a message asking about a tracking number since he hadn't received the package yet. I supplied the number. A few days later, he left me feedback, so I assumed he got the phone. However, now the guy says he never got it. It's been about a month. His feedback is at 100%, so I do not have any reason to believe he is lying to me.

I've filed a claim with USPS, but the post office employee says it is not looking too good since I did not insure the package and it shows as delivered. However, she did say there would probably be an investigation into the lost/missing package.

What are the chances of this being resolved through USPS. Should I bite the bullet and give the guy his money back?
    06-04-11 02:37 PM
    FYI ebay requires signature confirmation for items over a certain price (i think its over $250) for dispute reasons, just for future reference (insurance is not mandatory).

If its marked as delivered make them verify it was actually sent to the correct address... UPS delivered a large package of mine to someone on a different street with the same number. They had to have the delivery guy go track it down and try to get it back. Granted i dunno if USPS would do the same because they are not a private company....

In the future though, sign confirmation and personally id skip the insurance but thats just me...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-11 04:45 PM
    One reason I always ship UPS if I can. Default value of $100 insured. and very little price change if higher value.

Plus better tracking.
    06-04-11 04:51 PM
    As much as I hate to do it, I spend the couple of bucks on the ins just in case of situations like this.

Not sure why someone would give feed back prior to receiving an item. Sounds fishy...
    06-04-11 04:53 PM
    FYI ebay requires signature confirmation for items over a certain price (i think its over $250) for dispute reasons, just for future reference (insurance is not mandatory).

If its marked as delivered make them verify it was actually sent to the correct address... UPS delivered a large package of mine to someone on a different street with the same number. They had to have the delivery guy go track it down and try to get it back. Granted i dunno if USPS would do the same because they are not a private company....

In the future though, sign confirmation and personally id skip the insurance but thats just me...

Yeah, I have no idea what luck I will have smh. And the two items I have listed now...signature confirmation is listed in the description.

One reason I always ship UPS if I can. Default value of $100 insured. and very little price change if higher value.

Plus better tracking.
    I have noticed that tracking with UPS is better...may have to go that route next time.

As much as I hate to do it, I spend the couple of bucks on the ins just in case of situations like this.

Not sure why someone would give feed back prior to receiving an item. Sounds fishy...
    Exactly...several types of weird. I did not leave feedback for him until he left it for me. There was no real reason for him to leave feedback. And yes, looks like I'll have to insure the items from here on out.
    06-04-11 08:56 PM
    I am assuming he left you positive feedback, if so, i wouldn't refund him the money. Had someone try to the same stunt on me, but due to him leaving me positive feedback and tracking show it was delivered pay pal sided with me in the claim. Came to find out, the guy listed the phone like 2 months later for sale. I don't trust anyone when the proof shows different.

Good luck hopefully USPS comes through and no foul is done.
    06-04-11 09:40 PM
    I am assuming he left you positive feedback, if so, i wouldn't refund him the money. Had someone try to the same stunt on me, but due to him leaving me positive feedback and tracking show it was delivered pay pal sided with me in the claim. Came to find out, the guy listed the phone like 2 months later for sale. I don't trust anyone when the proof shows different.

Good luck hopefully USPS comes through and no foul is done.
    Yup, he left me positive feedback. In turn, I left him positive feedback. I have always been under the impression that it is up to the buyer to leave feedback first.

Anyway, I just finished going through the guy's feedback after reading about scams where buyers will get an item and check if there was delivery/signature confirmation; then, if there was no delivery/signature confirmation, they will proceed to ask for a refund/file a claim. Well one seller left feedback for him that said the sale went well except for the buyer trying to extort a refund from him. That raised a red flag with me. I sent that seller an email with the details of my situation and am waiting for a reply. Now, if this is the game the buyer is playing, I'm REALLY upset. I know technically I filled my obligations as a seller and really do not have to give him his money back; I just felt bad that he did not have the phone. But if it turns out I've been led to file a fraudulent claim

I checked to make sure I have seller's protection...turns out PayPal will likely side with me in a claim. However, it's on the buyer to file that claim.

Also, I sent the buyer an email saying that I had dropped the USPS claim paperwork off at the post office and was informed that if it is a fraudulent claim, there may be criminal charges. I have not heard from the buyer yet. If it turns out that he is trying to perpetrate fraud, I'm letting ebay, PayPal, and USPS know. I have the emails for evidence.
    06-04-11 10:02 PM
    just to let you know that since he left positive feedback he can not file a claim...it will be rejected right away, I dont see how you have anything to worry about! rest your head easy tonight as you have done everything you can and are in the right...as you rest your head I am shaking mine as people make me sad anymore and try to do anything dirty to get a buck!
    06-04-11 10:50 PM
    just to let you know that since he left positive feedback he can not file a claim...it will be rejected right away, I dont see how you have anything to worry about! rest your head easy tonight as you have done everything you can and are in the right...as you rest your head I am shaking mine as people make me sad anymore and try to do anything dirty to get a buck!
    Wow! Now that bit of information I didn't know. Thanks for this. And yeah, it is sad. Here I am feeling bad for the guy, only to realize I may have been had smh. I'm only fortunate that something inside me told me to say "sure" when asked if I wanted delivery confirmation.

06-04-11 10:57 PM
    That's what I was going to say. Since the guy left positive feedback already and you have delivery confirmation, what proof could he possibly submit to show that he never received the item?
    06-07-11 09:09 AM
    That does suck, but I normally ask if the buyer wants insurance and if they do, they pay for it. I usually get "how reliable is it to mail the phone without insurance" questions, in which I tell them I don't know and that the choice is theirs.
    06-07-11 01:47 PM
    I had a guy try this not too long ago with an iPhone 4 I sold on eBay, he went as far as opening an PayPal dispute until I posted the tracking number that showed that the item had been delivered. He promptly with drew the dispute which made me feel like it was a scam. I always pay the few extra bucks for insurance from USPS.
    06-07-11 08:59 PM
    He has no case in my opinion.... leaving you positive feedback AND you have the delivery confirmation. I say quit worrying about it!
    06-15-11 02:17 PM
    So here's an update:

Things have "escalated" and eBay is involved since I was not issuing a refund. Got an email saying the case is on hold for the next three days as I wait to hear from USPS. eBay is holding $200 hostage

Don't know how this will turn out, now.
    06-15-11 06:48 PM
    It sucks to have the money tied up but I can't see how they would find in his favor. But until a resolution is found, they have to try to protect both parties.
    06-15-11 07:07 PM
    Wow... that sucks! I stopped using eBay after selling one of my iPhone 4 devices (on release day) because of all the fees.
    06-16-11 03:17 AM
    yeah i think most likely you should win this one. i'm really surprised ebay allowed for a dispute to be opened because of the fact that he had already left positive feedback.
    06-16-11 11:31 AM
    So, here is an update...the case has been decided in MY favor. *bbm dancing smiley*

I'm not soley happy because I don't have to refund $200; that's besides the point. The phone shows as delivered, the guy left positive feedback, then he waits an entire month before contacting me? It was all about the principle of the matter.

Thanks to everyone for the positive reassurance, as well as the useful advice. (I've since shipped with delivery confirmation and insurance.)
    bik2101 likes this.
    06-23-11 03:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD