07-21-09 07:16 PM
66 123
tools
    While we Mac users may be in the minority, we choose to use superior tools, and that includes a Blackberry. We should have the same options as people using Winblows and Desktop Manager. DM is a great piece of software, which should be made available to those of us who choose to run "the other OS".

califjewels, DITTO. Well said.
    I couldnt agree with you more. I knew nothing about Macs until the day I decided to buy one and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made.
    In the future, when I'm ready for a newer laptop, it'll be another Mac.
    05-02-09 12:08 AM
    See this is another reason I really sometimes lean more toward the iPhone. I love my mac, I have NEVER had a problem with it and just love the way they (Apple) does their thing with the computer. My problem is harmony between my cell phone and computer is a main priority. Obviously BlackBerry really dropped the ball with this when it comes to making the Blackberry in-sync with Apple.

Also to Pete, I understand the market is 97% market share, but there are two things with this. First, Blackberry originated for the business user and in that time (and still now) Windows was the main operating system. Therefore why would they make it for Mac? Second, its a whole new ballgame for the smartphone industry and their markets. You see teenage kids walking about with BlackBerrys BBMing each other before health class. Market share for BlackBerry has expanded and shifted into a large consumer market too, which is a huge positive for RIMM, but you need to adjust to the new surroundings. You cannot shun away Apple's growing dominance in this computer market share, let alone thinking the idea of NOT producing a desktop manager for Mac is beneficial at all.

It is completely idiotic RIMM has not released a base level desktop manager (again I am like everyone else, screw the media manager I am not concerned with my songs or pictures) that syncs contacts and calendars.
    05-02-09 09:43 AM

I say keep speaking up people. Pocket Mac and Missing Sync are NOT the answer.
    i second that.
    05-02-09 09:52 AM
    Pete6-

Where exactly can I buy a copy of Win XP for $15?
    05-02-09 12:31 PM
    Pete6-

You can't...
    Unless you d/l a torrent from a torrent site and get the education version that way...

The best way I have seen to get it is on Craigslist. Buy a old old computer with XP on it still. Ppl usually have the disk and code or it's still stuck to the side of the computer. I have access to the Microsuck Govt. Store and it's LOTS cheaper sometimes.
    05-02-09 12:52 PM
    My curve syncs with iCal and address book. No problems at all. Using pocket mac on my new macbook.
    05-03-09 01:57 AM
    My curve syncs with iCal and address book. No problems at all. Using pocket mac on my new macbook.
    Give it a minute- that might change in the very near future.
    05-03-09 02:44 AM
    Dude, buy ur self one of those cheapy netbooks

Done deal

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-09 02:59 AM

Done deal

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm going to guess- only you knew what you were talking about.
    05-03-09 03:20 AM
    I am going to try and answer all your criticisms and questions in one post. I have editied out a lot of your posts here to make it more readable.
    YaY for you Pete.. why are you even HERE in this fourm?

You don't get it...

We don't need ANOTHER way to drag and drop media... Any monkey can do that...

We want to sync contacts and calendars.. the "free" one isn't worth the time of the d/l and the pay one just doesn't work.
    I'm here becauase I am trying to help. This subject comes up regularly and there is never a better answer than "RIM better realize..." That's why.

Im certainly NOT holding my breathe! PocketMac is worthless and MissingSync is not much better... ughh
    I posted a link for DoubleTwist.
    http://crackberry.com/double twist-m...es-media-easy. Did you try it? Did it work?
    Pete6, Mac OX/X is UNIX based, not LINUX based. Big difference!

I also think that 97% market share for Winblows is optimistic. The ONLY reason it's as high as it is is because Winblows is installed on most PCs. Same reason MOST Winblows users use Internet Exploder and Outlook Express. The system comes with it, so might as well use it.

That doesn't make it the best. It just makes it the uneducated user's default. Sorry, but Mac OS/X Leopard runs rings around anything else out there, when compared to Winblows, Linux distros (just way too much work and fiddling to get to work right) and hard core UNIX (not user-friendly at all).

While we Mac users may be in the minority, we choose to use superior tools, and that includes a Blackberry. We should have the same options as people using Winblows and Desktop Manager. DM is a great piece of software, which should be made available to those of us who choose to run "the other OS".

califjewels, DITTO. Well said.
    I stand corrected. I used BSD 4.2 when it first came out. I thought that Linis was all conquering. As to Mac OS and Macs in general being "better", we must agree to differ. I have used both over many years and my opinion is that Windows and what it can do and how it does it totally blows the Mac into a corner. I find Macs hard to use and obtuse to work with. I guess the figures agree with me. However, to each her/his own.

You touch the crux of the matter when you you say "We should have the same options ". Why? You are, in the nicest way, a minority and must accept that whilst you feel that you are the elite avant-garde, you numerica minority in the marketplace dictates that your application choices, especially those from large corporations must be more limited thatn tose available in mainstream computing. Sorry.

Pete6-

Ask MureEtMusc in post #10. It was him who said it. I wish I could buy 100 copies of XP for my clients. They would sell very quickly.

Done deal
    I paid $290 for my 10.2" HP Mini in Best Buy.

I came here as a Mod and a Blackberry user to try and help. I do not want to start OS wars as no one can win that.

If anyone feels like flaming what I have said, then I promise that I won't use my magik mod powers to unreasonably edit, delet or ban anyone as I am well aware that this is an emotove subject. There are, naturally limits to that.

I am, just trying to help and explain. Really.
    05-03-09 03:21 AM
    As mentioned a few times here my solution has been to just install win xp on my macbook. Couldn't be any easier and runs perfectly, especially on a newer intel based mac. You must know someone with a win xp install disc and code considering microsoft has 97% of the market share...

I decided long ago to stop fighting 'the man' and realize that 2% of the time i'll need windows, not a big deal. The other 98% I can forget windows exists, seems fair enough to me!
    05-03-09 03:25 AM
    You touch the crux of the matter when you you say "We should have the same options ". Why? You are, in the nicest way, a minority and must accept that whilst you feel that you are the elite avant-garde, you numerica minority in the marketplace dictates that your application choices, especially those from large corporations must be more limited thatn tose available in mainstream computing. Sorry.
    Well said sir, and that's coming from a mac user.
    05-03-09 03:30 AM
    With all due respect Pete, you feel one way and some of us feel another. I don't see anyone running through the forums telling people looking for the newest Storm OS to forget about it! And lets also keep in mind that Storm users themselves are a minority- is every BB user clutching a Storm and what carrier has it....EXACTLY!

When it comes to Mac users wanting a desktop manager that works and is consistent EVERY time they use it, you respond like we're just really reaching too high when in fact, not you or anyone else knows what RIM is going to do and IMHO, what you call helping is a downer.

Yes, windows may have a large market share, and for those that choose NOT to put windows on their Mac, we shouldn't be made to feel like we are being punished for the choices we made. For those that opt to put windows on their Mac, again thats a choice they made and I'm happy for them. Personally if I wanted to continue to fool around with the bloated system windows is, I wouldn't have gotten a Mac.

You say, "If anyone feels like flaming what I have said..." AFTER you've called Mac users the "the elite avant-garde"...WoW. You throw the flame but don't want it thrown back.
    05-03-09 03:58 AM
    As mentioned a few times here my solution has been to just install win xp on my macbook. Couldn't be any easier and runs perfectly, especially on a newer intel based mac. You must know someone with a win xp install disc and code considering microsoft has 97% of the market share...

I decided long ago to stop fighting 'the man' and realize that 2% of the time i'll need windows, not a big deal. The other 98% I can forget windows exists, seems fair enough to me!
    that s what i did, i simply gave up waiting and I certainly couldn't wait anymore as bb addict to update for the latest OS..

and i got to say , having both in my macbook gives me the best in one
    05-03-09 11:21 AM
    It's what I did as well...
    Since I have to run ArcMap for work on my MBP, I just run my desktop manager once every other week or so.
    05-03-09 12:00 PM

Do I understand it correctly that you use DM (Windows on Mac) only to update the BB OS?
    But you do synch address book, calendar etc from Mac?

Stefaan, Belgium
    05-03-09 12:08 PM
    Running Windows (either with a netbook or on your Mac) doesn't solve the calendar and contacts sync issue, though. How do you get your Mac contacts and iCal entries over to your BB that way? You can't do it without running Pocket Mac or some other software on your Mac.
    05-03-09 01:09 PM
    Regariding the XP for $15:

The "Windows XP for $15" that I mentioned earlier is the OEM cost of XP for a netbook. It's not a offer made to the public... it's an offer only made to OEMs such as Dell, Acer, and HP so they can preinstall XP on their netbooks. (And it's also the reason why fewer netbooks are running Linux nowadays.) Sorry that I didn't clarify it further.

As for everyone else, we're SOL... you'll have to pay the full license fee for XP or Vista. That being said, WES is only two days away... hopefully, we'll hear good news from RIM.
    05-03-09 01:43 PM
    Regariding the XP for $15:

The "Windows XP for $15" that I mentioned earlier is the OEM cost of XP for a netbook. It's not a offer made to the public... it's an offer only made to OEMs such as Dell, Acer, and HP so they can preinstall XP on their netbooks. (And it's also the reason why fewer netbooks are running Linux nowadays.) Sorry that I didn't clarify it further.

As for everyone else, we're SOL... you'll have to pay the full license fee for XP or Vista. That being said, WES is only two days away... hopefully, we'll hear good news from RIM.
    So does that mean you can take the XP from your NetBook and install it on Mac?
    05-03-09 01:47 PM
    Running Windows (either with a netbook or on your Mac) doesn't solve the calendar and contacts sync issue, though. How do you get your Mac contacts and iCal entries over to your BB that way? You can't do it without running Pocket Mac or some other software on your Mac.
    You don't need to run windows to do either of those, just open a gmail account (if you don't have one) and sync that account with your mac contacts and ical entries. Then install google sync on your blackberry, just that easy and takes about 10 minutes. That solution worked perfectly for me.
    05-03-09 02:05 PM
    You don't need to run windows to do either of those, just open a gmail account (if you don't have one) and sync that account with your mac contacts and ical entries. Then install google sync on your blackberry, just that easy and takes about 10 minutes. That solution worked perfectly for me.
    Sal, I think what some are missing is all the extra steps a Mac user must take in order to accomplish the same thing a windows user can do by opening one program.

I'm not going to argue the point how long it takes to do it the way you choose to do it; but the point that I'm making is that Mac users have to look for all these other alternatives.

I want to plug my BB into my Mac and sync locally. I don't want my stuff on someone else's server which is what Google sync and every other program that does the same thing is doing.
    05-03-09 03:08 PM
    LOL Im beginning to think your right!!

Why should Mac owners have to buy anything, windows users don't have to buy anything to get their Blackberries and computers to get along... There should be a windows/mac software version on every CD that is packaged with a product.. Apples are and will always be superior to any windows based PC out there!
    I agree, MAC users shouldn't have to spend money to sync their BlackBerry. Apple products are ten times better than any competitor, but my only problem is being able to sync my device. Is there ever going to be any hope for us Mac users??
    05-03-09 05:49 PM
    I just want to throw this out there becuase I'm tired of Mac users being treated like we think we're so above windows users; some of really don't feel that way.

Here's an example....Everyone and their mama has heard of Microsoft Office which aint nothing but a windows programs. YET, you can get Microsoft for Mac. Why? Because it's widely used by many; so why not make it available to all!!

I think it's a slight by RIM because there are so many BB users that DON'T even own a Pc!
    05-03-09 06:32 PM
    I just want to throw this out there becuase I'm tired of Mac users being treated like we think we're so above windows users; some of really don't feel that way.

Here's an example....Everyone and their mama has heard of Microsoft Office which aint nothing but a windows programs. YET, you can get Microsoft for Mac. Why? Because it's widely used by many; so why not make it available to all!!

I think it's a slight by RIM because there are so many BB users that DON'T even own a Pc!
    I hear ya on all your points and agree with you. I'm a nurse and know very little about business, but it would seem if the demand were great enough companies like RIM would make Mac compatible software....since they don't I'm going to assume them not doing it means they don't financially need to. While it would be nice if companies were cool enough to think about us and make things easier...I really don't expect it. It may suck, but there almost always seems to be a work around.

I don't get the arguments I see all the time between Mac and Windows users, whatever works for you...use it. I've read elitist remarks on both sides, although it does seem we get tagged with term way more...lol
    05-04-09 12:35 AM
    Do I understand it correctly that you use DM (Windows on Mac) only to update the BB OS?
    But you do synch address book, calendar etc from Mac?

Stefaan, Belgium
    As far as updating, yes I used it as you described. I sync from my gmail account OTA for contacts/ical updates. Pictures and music I just drag on drop on the memory card using usb, within osx.
    05-04-09 12:40 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD