05-05-09 11:52 AM
49 12
tools
    I am wondering if anyone would like to share their thoughts on how the Storm, other or Blackberry device works in their Mac environment.

Ok, not the most interesting thread topic , but I thought it would be interesting, since I'm a Mac lover, to know how many are out there and what their thoughts are.
    03-06-09 10:08 PM
    Mac Book Pro and iMac Blackberry does not do a good job at all playing well with Macs. Although that should change soon rumor is they have a desktop mgr. type software coming for Macs. I am speaking about upgrading os's. Thats all.
    Last edited by spaciorek; 03-06-09 at 10:29 PM.
    03-06-09 10:10 PM
    Aside from not being able to do full backups or restores, I'm pretty happy with the way my storm works with my mac. Once I figured out to enable mass storage mode I've had no trouble uploading media. So far I'm not too unhappy without the ability to load apps but I really wish I could back them up. Bluetooth sync would be nice. In general, I can get my macberry to do my bidding but it would be really nice to have the functionality available on pcs (os updates especially).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-09 10:23 PM
    Pocketmac works for me I have a 8330 Curve and the 9530 Storm...Sync, and itunes music loaded up on both phones...sync well with Entourage 2008. only issue no os update on mac so i use bootcamp...works fine.
    03-06-09 10:26 PM
    Pocketmac is an ok alternative to Desktop Manager. However its only really ok temporarily. The desktop manager adds a lot of functionality that mac users don't get. The biggest one probably is not being able to upgrade my OS.

It also drives me crazy that I can't make themes on a mac...Please plazmic please make a mac osx version
    03-06-09 10:34 PM
    Well pocket mac doesn't work for me.. I don't mind double twist. I STILL haven't figured out how to get a movie on my Storm.

I'd be happy if I could just rip a dvd, and get it on my storm, but nothing works.
    03-06-09 10:45 PM
    I wound up buying the Missing Sync, since I couldn't get PocketMac to work properly. Running a MacBook Pro 15" 2.16 Ghz, with OS X 10.5.6. Missing Sync does a decent job of transferring media and my contacts to my Storm, and sync's fine to my address book. But it's not anywhere close to what the Desktop Manager can do.
    03-06-09 10:46 PM
    On my MacBook Pro I use Bootcamp instead of Parallels, with a copy of Win Vista...have been upgrading my Storm using DM 4.7 since November...no problems..! Works very well. Upgraded my Storm to .109 when it came out. It's all good!

Bootcamp made it so easy...repartitioned my drive, etc. Yes, having to buy yourself a copy of WIN XP or Vista isn't cheap...but it will solve all your future problems when you need to upgrade your BB or find yourself needing to run WIN-only programs. I totally recommend you make the jump. Waiting for an OTA upgrade would be too frustrating for me!
    03-06-09 10:57 PM
    bootcamp bootcamp bootcamp
    03-06-09 11:18 PM
    I use Bootcamp (w/ XP) and then VMWare to access my Bootcamp partition so I dont have to actually leave OSX and do a full bootcamp boot.
    03-06-09 11:28 PM
    I use Missing Sync with bluetooth proximity syncing. I set it to sync every eight hours and never notice it syncing in my daily use. Sometimes I'll walk into my room after work and it'll sync first thing. Works like a charm.

Can't comment on using any kind of DM for OSX as I have an XP netbook for all those functions.

Specs:
    Storm 9530 VZW
    12" Powerbook 1.5ghz
    Missing Sync 2.0

Syncing:
    Contacts
    Calender
    memo pad
    SMS log
    Call log
    Music (itunes: Select all>drag to mass media storage>)
    03-06-09 11:47 PM
    I'm a Mac user (MacBook, intel core 2 duo, OS X 10.4.11) and I didn't feel like futzing with the Pocket Mac so I bought Missing Sync and it works fine. I have an ancient (well, 9 years old) Sony Vaio running XP and I sync it on both computers. When I replace the Vaio, it will be with a Mac and I'll probably run Boot Camp or something similar. So for now, music transfers out of iTunes is easy peasy--I just drag and drop. So, I'm backed up on both computers, but DM is far better than Missing Sync, of course.
    03-07-09 12:09 AM
    I would recommend Pocket Mac and MediaSync for the Mac if you have basic needs for updating iTunes/Contacts etc... However, if you are really looking for a complete solution you will have to use either BootCamp/Parallels/VMware running XP or Vista. Currently, I am running Mac OS X 10.5.6 with Parallels 4 running XP SP3 and Desktop Manager is working well on my new MacBook Pro. I do still use MediaSync for Mac to sync my iTunes because Windows sucks. As a Certified Apple Technician I certainly hope that RIM can come out with a DM for Mac. Had AT&T not sucked I would've probably bought an iPhone. That said, I am pretty friggin' happy with my Storm after 2 1/2 weeks of use.
    03-07-09 01:48 AM
    I have the new macbook and I run xp through vmware for desktop manager and started using doubletwist for media in os x. Its been working great.

03-07-09 05:35 AM
    Well pocket mac doesn't work for me.. I don't mind double twist. I STILL haven't figured out how to get a movie on my Storm.

I'd be happy if I could just rip a dvd, and get it on my storm, but nothing works.
    Handbrake is software that works really well for converting your DVD collection to work on your phone. It gives you a list of preselected formats on the right hand side and if you chose any of these the one that I found works best is the one for PSP. Of course you could always mess around with the settings to your liking but the PSP setting is nearly flawless. My only gripe is that it puts it in a widescreen mode so you have the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen like on your TV when watching a movie. That aside, the sound quality, picture quality and frame rate is perfect. There is never any mismatching between sounds and movement or lagging during action intensive scenes. None of the movies I have converted are over a gig of space and some are over 2 hours long which is nice because you can fit more on the memory card. It's free by searching Handbrake in google.
    03-07-09 06:30 AM
    Handbrake is software that works really well for converting your DVD collection to work on your phone. It gives you a list of preselected formats on the right hand side and if you chose any of these the one that I found works best is the one for PSP. Of course you could always mess around with the settings to your liking but the PSP setting is nearly flawless. My only gripe is that it puts it in a widescreen mode so you have the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen like on your TV when watching a movie. That aside, the sound quality, picture quality and frame rate is perfect. There is never any mismatching between sounds and movement or lagging during action intensive scenes. None of the movies I have converted are over a gig of space and some are over 2 hours long which is nice because you can fit more on the memory card. It's free by searching Handbrake in google.
    Hey, Thanks a bunch.. well that DID work for me. But why PSP? Did you try the iPhone or iPod touch settings first??
    03-08-09 01:33 AM
    I spoke too soon, only seems to have worked ONCE.. with a tv show. Other than that, I can't get a full movie to work.. once handbrake does its thing, it wont play properly in iTunes.. its all jerky and jumpy...
    03-08-09 03:45 AM
    While I miss out on leaked OS releases with my Mac, Google Sync makes the syncing of my address book and calendar easy. I used Pocketmac with the varying results everyone talks about and got real tired of it. I'm looking forward to a real Mac solution for software and media, but Google Sync takes care of the basics for me, for now.

03-08-09 08:33 AM
    The missing sync for blackberry, just recently updated to allow for bluetooth file transfers, is a must. I can now make changes to my Mac's calendar, photos, music, address book, etc., and the Storm and Mac will "automagically" 2-way transfer all my info. So, when I make a calendar appointment on my Mac's iCal, it now shows up on my Storm's calendar and subsequently onto my Outlook (I'm on a BES server at work).
    03-08-09 08:48 AM
    works ok for me, i am running missing sync. i also have a pc notebook that i keep around just in case. well it comes in handy for blackberries. anyone can pick up an older pc laptop super cheap for these reasons
    03-08-09 09:11 AM
    I've been running XP with VMWare Fusion and have had no problems using the regular Desktop Manager, but I'd like to go with an all-Mac solution.

Two questions for the Missing Sync users:
    1. Does it support multiple email address for your contacts. I found the PocketMac doesn't which is very lame.
    2. When you sync music from iTunes, does it preserve your folder structure on the SD card (i.e. artist, album) or does it just place all songs loose in one folder?
    03-08-09 09:39 AM
    Just purchased Missing Sync for my macbook and I'm having a devil of a time getting the calendar to sync. Followed their instructions but still get error messages. Anyone else with this problem?
    03-08-09 11:52 AM
    Just got a new macbook pro with 10.5.6. I had pocket mac on my old mac laptop but didn't use it much, since it wasn't able to upgrade the BB OS.

At this point I'm hoping they come out with a better FREE solution for Mac users by the time this spring/summer rolls around.

It's understandable that a large part of the computer market is windows based, and that many BB users are part of that market. But Macs are holding their own, and not all of us are iPhone lovers. So I'm surprised no one has come up with comparable software for Mac/BB users.
    03-09-09 06:42 PM
    I have a macbook and a storm have np just have to pay for that missing sync for blackberry but i think its worth it and sync with np
    03-10-09 05:54 PM
    is imposible for me sync my mac with my storm!!!!
    we need a good tool for mac!!! please RIM read the forums!!!!
    03-10-09 06:02 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD