09-15-09 02:42 PM
29 12
tools
    Directed at those 20 or so individuals who ask me during the course of the week (every damn week it seems...) "I don't understand - you're a Mac Guy - how come you don't have an iPhone?".

Here's your answers.
    ---------------------------
    * Bluetooth on the iPhone is restricted to headphone use only. For anything else - Nada. No obx, no file exchanging, no linking to your car stereo, Nothing.

* Cannot use iPhone as a USB drive. 32 GB of space, and all I can use it for is applications and music?! That Sux, WTF. I thought this was a SMART PHONE. Oh, wait - no it isn't.

* No flash / video light with camera? How expensive would it be to slap an LED on there? Sheesh.

* No user-replaceable battery. $85 for the replacement (and backup your data!) Plus what? $20 bucks for a rental-phone while you wait 3 days? That's $105 hard-earned dollars just to SWAP A BATTERY. Two letters for ya, Apple: F and U.

* No expandable memory. You better be happy with what you bought - 'cause there ain't no way to increase it. Or swap and share cards - etc. Bummer, dood.

* Push eMail is "improving" - slowly.. but nowhere's near to what BlackBerry offers. And some really usefull apps like Google Voice, Apple is fighting against tooth & nail. Why?

* No user-createable folders to stick apps into. More apps on your iPhone = more pages to flick through. Favorite apps you can tediously move to the front pages I suppose - but a folder system would be nice too.

* Themes? Sure! As long as are willing to just use the ones Apple provides to you... If you want to take advantage of any 3rd party designs out there, better fire up the AC/DC album and perform a Jailbreak. There goes the warranty.

* No alert LED. Yes, a small niggle - I know. I just find it so handy on the BB.
    -----------------------------

The iPhone IS improving some things, I'll admit - (when I first was comparing devices, the iPhones still didn't do MMS and Copy/Paste) - but a lot of things are still whack, and I don't think will be resolved anytime soon.

Anyhow - there's the reasons why I'm a Mac user running with a BlackBerry.
    I find for my own needs as a business owner, the BlackBerry offered me more solutions and features than compromises.

The end.
    ----------------------------
    ** feel free to add your own reasons, pros & cons, etc. **
    -DC-
    08-22-09 01:24 PM
    Directed at those 20 or so individuals who ask me during the course of the week (every damn week it seems...) "I don't understand - you're a Mac Guy - how come you don't have an iPhone?".

Here's your answers.
    * Bluetooth on the iPhone is restricted to headphone use only. For anything else - Nada. No obx, no file exchanging, no linking to your car stereo, Nothing.

* Cannot use iPhone as a USB drive. 32 GB of space, and all I can use it for is applications and music?! That Sux, WTF. I thought this was a SMART PHONE. Oh, wait - no it isn't.

* No flash / video light with camera? How expensive would it be to slap an LED on there? Sheesh.

* No user-replaceable battery. $85 for the replacement (and backup your data!) Plus what? $20 bucks for a rental-phone while you wait 3 days? That's $105 hard-earned dollars just to SWAP A BATTERY. Two letters for ya, Apple: F and U.

* No expandable memory. You better be happy with what you bought - 'cause there ain't no way to increase it. Or swap and share cards - etc. Bummer, dood.

* Push eMail is "improving" - slowly.. but nowhere's near to what BlackBerry offers. And some really usefull apps like Google Voice, Apple is fighting against tooth & nail. Why?

* No user-createable folders to stick apps into. More apps on your iPhone = more pages to flick through. Favorite apps you can tediously move to the front pages I suppose - but a folder system would be nice too.

* Themes? Sure! As long as are willing to just use the ones Apple provides to you... If you want to take advantage of any 3rd party designs out there, better fire up the AC/DC album and perform a Jailbreak. There goes the warranty.

* No alert LED. Yes, a small niggle - I know. I just find it so handy on the BB.

The iPhone IS improving some things, I'll admit - (when I first was comparing devices, the iPhones still didn't do MMS and Copy/Paste) - but a lot of things are still whack, and I don't think will be resolved anytime soon.

I find for my own needs as a business owner, the BlackBerry offered me more solutions and features than compromises.

The end.
    -DC-
    I feel ya man thats why I didnt get the iPhone. Truth is its strictly created for mainstream consumers. Yeah you can use it to do certain business...but TRUE business usually requires a full potential business device.

THat would be a BB hands down.
    08-22-09 01:33 PM
    Indeed, Card Storm.
    I seem to remember a comment made awhile back - something to the effect of:
    "BlackBerrys are good for getting stuff done. The iPhone is good for dikkin around and looking cool".

That may be a bit harsh though - for some people the iPhone is great and they love it. Which is awesome. It's always nice to hear someone found the bit of tech that fits their life/needs just right - no matter the manufacturer.

My quandry was, would I rather have a suite of powerful business and connection solutions at my fingertips, or
    Just a kick-**** web browser and thousands of apps's like "drink-a-beer" and"boobie-jiggler"? Lol.
    08-22-09 01:41 PM
    iphones are ok for those who like to destroy and rebuild boring programs all day, or tinker with the way the screen looks...ive seen some ok out comes. but it still doesnt change that the phone is missing obvious features that even a frikkin nokia has..
    08-22-09 02:04 PM
    iphones are ok for those who like to destroy and rebuild boring programs all day, or tinker with the way the screen looks...ive seen some ok out comes. but it still doesnt change that the phone is missing obvious features that even a frikkin nokia has..
    The iPhone is a multi-media device. I really do look forward to the iPhones future multi-media plans. Im sure they will eventually add some more cool features. DOnt get me wrong I Love entertainment tech, but until the entertainment on iPhone or iTouch is just astounding and revolutionary then I wont be dabbling in Apple tech.

The thing is.....Apples iPhone IS indeed a great product, but for those who are Truly Technology freaks, what the iPhone does isnt that amazing to me anymore. What it does almost all other touchscreen phones can do to some extent.

The reason why Im sticking with the storm and getting the Odin is because of the revolutionary technology that will take place in the screen.

Im all about technological advancement, and if there are some cool hardware mechanisms that allow you to further engage in the device, then I am ALL down for that.

I just think BB has a fuller potential to reach higher hardware technological advancement levels because that seems to be their style. THe whole future tech style.

iPhone is more media friendly, consumer friendly, and that works for LOTS of people, but games on a phone jsut arent that important to me.
    08-22-09 02:31 PM
    -I'm very much looking forward to the Storm 2 (Odin) myself. For a bunch of reasons, but mostly because I think RIM will have used the failures / shortcomings of the original Storm to iron them out in the follow up, and engineer some nifty goodies as well.
    Here's hoping.

As for the iPhone - I'll also give it a nod for developing some innovative technology and marketing it perfectly - something Apple does very well. However, I cannot overlook that with all the pluses it has - there are some SERIOUS minuses as well, at least as far as I'm concerned.

A lot of the features it's lacking are primarily due to the fact that Apple wants to maintain a tight control over the phone... They say it's to ensure a "better user experience for owners" - but it smacks of Orwellian goose stepping to me, keeping everyone from the temptation (purposely or accidental) of becoming a Pirate, Aarh Matey!
    Why else would they limit what you can put on it, and how, with such thumbscrew tactics?

Which is quite at odds with everything I love about my Mac- strangely enough.
    It's bizzare - but whatever.

BlackBerry to the rescue!
    (And now that it looks like we're FINALLY going to get some real Mac compatability for a desktop manager from RIM - aw, that just like brightened my whole day up).
    08-22-09 03:04 PM
    I'm a mac guy; have a mini and a macbook. Run my internet through a airport express with airtunes. I use an iTouch to its remote and wifi.

Have no desire to have an iphone. Like the quote above; i just use the ipod for fun, my BB is with me everyday for everything.
    08-22-09 03:39 PM
    THe reason is simple....apple just doesnt have the security for the iphone. Do they want to spend more money to fix that right now? I doubt it....look how long it took for SMS patch.
    08-22-09 03:46 PM
    I'll just add one more thing, than I need to shut my yap and really get that grill going out on the deck today...

I think my biggest issue with the iPhone, and why I went with a BlackBerry is based on the philosophy between the two companys and their handhelds.

RIM doesn't seem to want to overly restrict the BB - indeed, they welcome 3rd party developers, allow the devices to utilize modern data connections such as Bluetooth and USB for any number of uses, and generally allow the owner to do what they want, how they want.

RIM is actively updating their model line ups to cater to different demographics - the Storm is their attempt to appeal to users who prefer a touchscreen interface, as example. Choices are nice to have, and RIM has something in a form factor for just about everyone.
    That alone must cost them big buckkos, no doubt.

Honestly, the only real "problems" I see with the BlackBerry's are software-related. Overhauled OS and web browser - which they are working on anyway.

The iPhone on the other hand, despite being a "multi-media-powerhouse" is still a multi-media-powerhouse-as-dictated-by-Apple.
    The iPhone limits you in the hardware department. It limits you in the software department. It strangles technology that other handhelds have been enjoying for years, down into a subserviant lapdog that caters soley to Apple's whims, and can't do anything unless it's through iTunes or the Apps Store.

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING it seems, that you do with the iPhone is governed by Apple. You can't even change the God-d**n battery without involving the higher powers and my wallet?! WTF is THIS B.S.?

Which as I mentioned before, seems completely at odds with Apple's own MAC campaign - that using a Mac gives you freedom of expression and creative control and breaks the chains of conformity and those "evil evil corporations". Think about the famous "1984"-inspired tv ad... The girl running up to the gigantic monitor and throwing a sledgehammer through it. The latest "Mac vs PC" tv ads - quirky, humourous, I can do this better and more open than you.

Now think about how Apple is handeling the iPhone.
    Guess when you're making a KILLING on music sales, it's ok to be a hypocrite and put the company coffers ahead of allowing people access to a more free way of doing things.

Nasty "we might all be pirates" mentality or something like that.

Anyhoo - yeah, the philosophys are quite different between the two companys. Last reason why I went with BlackBerry.
    I can do pretty much anything with it, including uploading music any way I want and file sharing is a snap.

Grill Time!! Hawaiian Style!
    Last edited by Digital_Cataclysm; 08-22-09 at 04:15 PM.
    08-22-09 04:10 PM
    I'll just add one more thing, than I need to shut my yap and really get that grill going out on the deck today...

I think my biggest issue with the iPhone, and why I went with a BlackBerry is based on the philosophy between the two companys and their handhelds.

RIM doesn't seem to want to overly restrict the BB - indeed, they welcome 3rd party developers, allow the devices to utilize modern data connections such as Bluetooth and USB for any number of uses, and generally allow the owner to do what they want, how they want.

RIM is actively updating their model line ups to cater to different demographics - the Storm is their attempt to appeal to users who prefer a touchscreen interface, as example. Choices are nice to have, and RIM has something in a form factor for just about everyone.
    That alone must cost them big buckkos, no doubt.

Honestly, the only real "problems" I see with the BlackBerry's are software-related. Overhauled OS and web browser - which they are working on anyway.

The iPhone on the other hand, despite being a "multi-media-powerhouse" is still a multi-media-powerhouse-as-dictated-by-Apple.
    The iPhone limits you in the hardware department. It limits you in the software department. It strangles technology that other handhelds have been enjoying for years, down into a subserviant lapdog that caters soley to Apple's whims, and can't do anything unless it's through iTunes or the Apps Store.

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING it seems, that you do with the iPhone is governed by Apple. You can't even change the God-d**n battery without involving the higher powers and my wallet?! WTF is THIS B.S.?

Which as I mentioned before, seems completely at odds with Apple's own MAC campaign - that using a Mac gives you freedom of expression and creative control and breaks the chains of conformity and those "evil evil corporations". Think about the famous "1984"-inspired tv ad... The girl running up to the gigantic monitor and throwing a sledgehammer through it. The latest "Mac vs PC" tv ads - quirky, humourous, I can do this better and more open than you.

Now think about how Apple is handeling the iPhone.
    Guess when you're making a KILLING on music sales, it's ok to be a hypocrite and put the company coffers ahead of allowing people access to a more free way of doing things.

Nasty "we might all be pirates" mentality or something like that.

Anyhoo - yeah, the philosophys are quite different between the two companys. Last reason why I went with BlackBerry.
    I can do pretty much anything with it, including uploading music any way I want and file sharing is a snap.

Grill Time!! Hawaiian Style!
    Dude that is sooooo true!

This is not downing apple or iPhone, but I think the direction apple is going is more "this is my work of art and freedom of expression...like, love it, or leave it"

RIM is more just about letting BB users decide how they want to manage their lives based on the devices potentials, and oddly you would think a Business device with so much security would be be WAY more strict about this, but I am not going to lie it does seem that RIM put a lot of care into structuring this phone and making it as easy as possible to use. Yeah the OS caused issues, but for a smart phone the BB really does offer many options.

You would expect RIM to be my way or the highway, but the thing is they actually care what everyone thinks.

For example, if you look at the new line up of devices for RIM you will notice that the way the devices are being built "and RIM has done th is since day one" are build around user comfort.

Yeah the curves on the storm are "pretty" to people, but those aestetics form certain functional needs. Ever notice how comfortable it is to hold your storm in landscape mode? How natural it feels?

It because of those curves on the tips of the phone.

WHy would RIM be paying SOOO much attention to making you feel comfortable with your touchscreen BB.

It wasnt JUST to be revolutionary and different with surepress, RIM simply doesnt care about those things. It was the fact that most human beings respond to haptic feed back as a mode of confirmation and satisfication which is what most humans desire.

The sureperss1 had its issues, but the fact is that RIM is taking time out to not just make a regular touchscreen which they could have, but be the first to innovate the touch screen and built it into a more 3d reality experience where the user is somewhat integrated in the device.

See how many convenience keys are on this phone? Its because they are caring about the users and their physical needs when using a phone. It isnt always about the software.

WHen using a device like a BB as much as they are intended for use (HEAVY usage)

they have produced a very durable phone that doesnt easily damage when dropped, and has multiple convenience points so a Heave user has less frustration when utilizing this device.

This is why RIM is the fastest growing company in the world.

Cellular innovation is a big deal in the future of technology and planning, and I am sure their vision for more user integrated device extends further than the surepress 1 or newpress.

Doesnt your phone feel more personal the fact that you can actually press in the screen? Humans like physical function (I press on surepress screen even when not using it) and I think RIM has the right idea and is heading in the right direction.
    08-22-09 04:27 PM
    Hi,

I really wanted to like the iPhone but BlackBerry is more of a business tool and ironically syncs better to Macs.

Like all Apple products the iPhone has shaken up the market. Look what they have done to PC operating systems, professional video and photography apps, MP3 players and their greatest revolution: iTunes. I remember record shops.

For a 2nd generation product the iPhone very impressive. It's only going to get better and put pressure on other smart phone vendors to improve. Plus Apple have pressured Telcos to reduce their data plans for iPhones.

-- Robert.
    08-22-09 07:12 PM
    I really wanted to like the iPhone but BlackBerry is more of a business tool and ironically syncs better to Macs.

Robert,
    I don't see this at all. Look on all the BB forums, and 90% of Mac users' complaints are about difficulties syncing the BB with Macs. Some Mac users aren't willing or able to run Windows...

Alan
    08-24-09 04:05 PM
    Hi Alan,

As a BIS user I'm envious of the iPhone email app.

Tired of Pocket Mac and Missing Sync I assumed the iPhone would sync easily to a Mac. Well it does if your email is on an Exchange server or you $ubscribe to MobileMe. To use Entourage I have to to do a tango with iPhone > Google Calendar > iCal > Entourage, and vice versa. Same for contacts. Apple completely forgot about Tasks and for me that was the deal breaker.

Using an IMAP email setup I can't reliably or easily sync calendar, contacts, and notes with an iPhone. Correct me if I'm wrong because the iPhone has much cheaper plans.

On Blackberry I can sync Entourage with Calendar, Contacts, Notes, and Tasks with categories. Believe it or not it has been working flawlessly with Pocket Mac for nearly a year.

-- Robert.
    08-24-09 05:00 PM
    If you dont like the iPhone then dont buy one.

Apple App Store ... knock it if you want, but its the best experience out there bar none. Forget the depth and breadth when comparing it to RIM's paltry equivalent... lets look at app pricing. RIM and its developers are raping customers compared to pricing on Apple's side.

Locked hardware? The iPhone works on the Mac and PC. Hopefully RIM will get Desktop out next month.. but up till then RIM has hardly been OS agnostic and left Mac users out in the cold. There is no excuse for it in my book. Its 2009 for crying out loud.

And while I am at it... Note to Microsoft: the iPod has worked on the PC for years, your Zune.. only Windows. The Zune HD looks great, but as a Mac user I cant even begin to ponder getting one.

The iPhone is an impressive device.. and whether you like it or not, its THE smart phone that all others are judged against. That still doesnt mean that its the best phone for you or me. And there is the rub... get the phone that is best for you and be happy. Just because I drive a BMW doesnt mean that Mercedes sucks.
    08-24-09 06:02 PM
    Robert,
    Glad you're able to get PocketMac to work for you. I found it pretty useless, and use Missing Sync 1.0.x instead. It's okay, but has its faults, too. I use it to keep my calendar and contacts synced.

I'm looking froward to using Desktop Manager for the Mac. It's way overdue, and am hopeful it will provide more reliable communication between the device and the desktop.

Alan
    08-25-09 11:51 AM
    I totally agree...

I really wanted an iPhone but will NEVER go with AT$T so I got a Verizon Tour and I am thrilled with it....now if only RIM would get the same quality of FREE customer support that Apple has, I would be in awe!
    08-25-09 12:24 PM
    nobody mentioned that iPhone is NOT multitasking YET... BB IS multitasking, this is a foundamental difference.

d
    08-26-09 09:00 AM
    @kilofox, agreed 100%.
    The two points I do agree with op re iphone are lack of notification alerts and not being able to put apps in folders.
    08-26-09 10:02 AM

Here's your answers.

The end.
    -DC-
    #1 should be ATT service.
    08-27-09 10:39 PM
    Amen to this thread. I've been using macs since I could use a computer (my mom has always loved them) and for the first..13 years of me using a computer, I always got "Oh. You have a Mac. WHY?!" from everyone. In the last 2 years or so my girlfriend, extended family, etc have all been gravitating towards macs, finding out they ARE actually simple to use when you get the "Control Alt Delete" stuff out of your head. My mom recently picked up the BB Storm and she keeps talking about how much she loves it and using I think PocketSync Manager to sync up. Her only issue is "Blackberry 1" doesn't show up, but so far I've been using PocketSync with my Storm, no major issues.

I forgot about MissingSync, I think I might give that a shot. But anyways, (I'm way off track now) it's good to see that I'm not the only Blackberry Mac user out there.
    08-28-09 03:23 AM
    I've had both and I have to say the ease of the iPhone takes the cake over the blackberry..though the blackberry did have many benefits as listed, i believe the unbelievable communication between desktop and device adds so muc more to the iPhone.
    08-28-09 04:11 PM
    Add to the list a lack of a BBM like feature. I find outside of the work place, BBM is a great social feature. It has helped provide a forum for planning events.

If iPhone had a similar feature, or even an app that worked with BBM it would greatly serve many people.
    08-30-09 05:21 PM
    Can't believe it's Sept 2nd already! Where did the Summer go? Wow.
    Anyhoo- I agree with Glitchzero and Mattxmiggz that trying to properly sync your BlackBerry to a Mac has been an exercise in drudgery or just plain failure for the longest time now.

I even gave up at some point back and said "F it - maybe RIM will eventually see the other major computing platform out there someday and fix this". Well, it seems RIM is doing just that - a full release of desktop manager for Mac should be hitting us soon, and I am excited on that...

Finally! No more 3rd party workaround cross-your-fingers fixes. At least I hope so.
    Sweet.

And @ Vnj85: excellent mentioning on the BBS- I don't use it myself much, but a lot of people do... So yes, something else we can love about our BlackBerrys.

I'll be candid and say that when I first started looking at a mobile device to replace the old Motorola RAZR I used to carry, it was the iPhone that I first visited.

I suppose as a Mac owner, it was a sort of consumer duty - to weigh the merits of Apple's latest before sneaking off to appraise the wares contained within other encampments.

But I'm happy I made the decision. This Curve has been great - though she is starting to show her age a bit.
    When the Storm 2 hits, I may be seriously considering an upgrade as a Christmas present to myself! Lol.
    09-02-09 06:32 PM
    I've had an iphone now for just about two years (oct. 1st) and i agree with a lot of your guys post. Especially
    #1 should be ATT service.
    I'm ready to change phones and am excited to get my first bb.
    09-02-09 07:37 PM
    Sorry the iPhone didn't work out - DB, but at least you have an option with the BlackBerry. That can count for something, at least.

Any idea on what you want to get? If your a regular to the forums here, you probably already know the Storm 2 is due (we expect) sometime in October. That would make a nice replacement - but as always, try before you buy.

Anyhow, have fun shopping for a new BlackBerry!
    09-03-09 05:05 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD