06-30-08 04:39 PM
42 12
tools
    i love my hp laptop and the dell laptop i have at home runs quite well with Vista (i've been lucky so far...knock on wood). i plan to get a new Mac for college..id love to see Apple software and RIM software get along but i wont hold my breath
    06-10-08 02:20 PM
    i love my hp laptop and the dell laptop i have at home runs quite well with Vista (i've been lucky so far...knock on wood). i plan to get a new Mac for college..id love to see Apple software and RIM software get along but i wont hold my breath
    more like Apple Operating System and RIM hardware. There really is not 2 softwares to get along. There is the Mac OSX and the RIM device (your blackberry). The only software that needs to get along with the Mac is BB Desktop Manager, but RIM seems to think that Mac users are not an important part of their business and have not yet released a DM for Mac!!

I would HIGHLY suggest just using one of your 2 PC Laptops as your primary device to sync your BB with. Either that or make a virtual machine in Parallels or VMWare Fusion to get the job done right. (now don't take that wrong... I am a loyal Mac enthusiest, but the Mac cannot sync properly with the BB without all the hassle and headaches!)
    06-10-08 09:08 PM
    very true..i got a little bit ahead of myself typing. i'll continue to use my HP to sync my BB and as a back up in case something happens to the Mac (and becuase im am more experienced with Windows).

hopefully RIM will acknowledge the pain their Mac users are going through and give us a DM for Macs, but as we've seen with the new OS 4.5 that could be a long time with many delays

thanks for the correction bmcclure937
    06-11-08 10:05 AM
    I actually had slight issues syncing my mac with my BB. Leapord has some issues that makes PocketMac for Blackberry hard to sync with the BB. But if you are running leapord (mostly likely you will) download and install PocketMac for Blackberry direct from the BB website and then download the software upgrade on BB website and install. The software upgrade fixes any glitches you may have (like the sync software freezing up). After doing that, you should have no issues at all (at least i do not). Only thing i do not like about pocketmac is that it does not give you the option to sync using bluetooth.

PS....Mac users are smarther than pc users... has been scientifically proven
    06-12-08 12:14 AM
    I actually had slight issues syncing my mac with my BB. Leapord has some issues that makes PocketMac for Blackberry hard to sync with the BB. But if you are running leapord (mostly likely you will) download and install PocketMac for Blackberry direct from the BB website and then download the software upgrade on BB website and install. The software upgrade fixes any glitches you may have (like the sync software freezing up). After doing that, you should have no issues at all (at least i do not). Only thing i do not like about pocketmac is that it does not give you the option to sync using bluetooth.

PS....Mac users are smarther than pc users... has been scientifically proven
    hahahaa.... thanks for the info. the last part I could not resist passing up on though!!

I know you are showing your Mac "fanboyism" by saying that... and I am a HUGE Mac fan... so don't take this as supporting PC or anything.

You say Mac fans are smarter and you spelled leopard incorrectly twice in your post. Not a biggie until you make a statment like that. lol!

Welcome to CB, btw
    06-12-08 07:46 AM
    PocketMac works very well with my G5 Quad running Tiger. I can drag and drop pics and music files, sync calender and addresses either via Sync or .Mac. I'm surprised how well it works. I haven't tried it with my MBP running Leopard though.
    06-12-08 03:55 PM
    PocketMac works very well with my G5 Quad running Tiger. I can drag and drop pics and music files, sync calender and addresses either via Sync or .Mac. I'm surprised how well it works. I haven't tried it with my MBP running Leopard though.
    Dedicated mac user!! G5 Quad... that is sweet and somewhat classic now days. And I hope you are loving my MBP like I am loving mine... my favorite Mac so far

Did you hear the next OSX (Snow Leopard) is going to be Intel only?? Bad news for your G5...
    06-12-08 09:29 PM
    Did you hear the next OSX (Snow Leopard) is going to be Intel only?? Bad news for your G5...
    No, I didn't. I'm a photographer and the Quad holds it's own in my apps compared to the latest Mac Pros. I plan on selling it soon though as there are still certain audio hardware that need this setup.
    06-13-08 12:47 AM
    MBP? Have I missed something?
    06-14-08 03:52 AM
    There was a post around here just after WES that said that RIM were going to make a DM for the MAC. If they do that then I guess that they would have to make versions of the installable OSs too. I do not have further info or a timescale.

Just use a PC, they work!

Apple will not help because of the iBrick, obviously.
    06-14-08 05:38 AM
    MBP? Have I missed something?
    MacBook Pro.

FWIW, I run a dual boot with XP and Leopard via Boot Camp. I haven't put PocketMac on the MBP becuae I use it with my G5 desktop. I do have another PC that I installed Roxio on, but haven't used it anymore since using PocketMac to sync iCal and Address book with my BB and dragging and dropping media files works much quicker.
    06-14-08 08:59 AM
    You can use VMWare or Parallels to run the BlackBerry Desktop Manager on your Mac, but $80 for one of those virtualization products plus at least $200 for a copy of Windows is kind of pricey just to manage your BlackBerry.
    I have that set up since I have to be able to run PC apps for work and love my Mac waaay too much. And I use DM on Parallels to back up and upgrade the BB. But it still doesn't help much since I use Address Book & iCal..which you can't use DM to sync =(.
    06-28-08 11:27 AM
    I don't have much luck using parallels and getting my bb to connect. I think the two OS's fight over the USB port and everyone loses. So I end up using bootcamp and it works great. Missingsync is great for syncing your contacs and calendar, but can't install applications. You can also use it to sync photos. I don't use pocketmac as I find it useless and it messed up my address book once and I never gave it another chance to do that again.

Edit: I forgot why I came here. It is not that apple doesn't want to work well with bb, as many others have said bb doesn't want to write a dm for apple. They didn't even write pocketmac. It used to be a 3rd party product until RIM bought it and started giving it away for free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by brinky; 06-29-08 at 09:53 PM.
    06-29-08 09:49 PM
    I don't have much luck using parallels and getting my bb to connect. I think the two OS's fight over the USB port and everyone loses. So I end up using bootcamp and it works great. Missingsync is great for syncing your contacs and calendar, but can't install applications. You can also use it to sync photos. I don't use pocketmac as I find it useless and it messed up my address book once and I never gave it another chance to do that again.

It is really simple. I have used VMWare Fusion and Parallels. When you connect any USB peripheral you have to 'activate' it in the VM so it gets used in that OS instead of OSX. Then, when you shut off the virtual machine in Parallels or Fusion, the USB peripheral will get "reconnected" to OSX
    06-29-08 09:52 PM
    It is really simple. I have used VMWare Fusion and Parallels. When you connect any USB peripheral you have to 'activate' it in the VM so it gets used in that OS instead of OSX. Then, when you shut off the virtual machine in Parallels or Fusion, the USB peripheral will get "reconnected" to OSX
    I have tried everything. Including setting the default in the vm to take owership of the usb ports but it never stays connected long enough to do anything. As soon as I plus in my curve dm will find it and know that it is there, but as soon as I click on backup/restore or app loader tghe dm loses connectivity with my curve. I know that it does work as I had a curve before (had a iPhone in between) and I got it to work then, just can't rememebr what I did to make it work. It's not that big of a deal as I rarely load new apps. Since I switched to bes I run outlook in parallels and that keeps everything in sync without me having to connect up anything.

06-29-08 09:59 PM
    I have tried everything. Including setting the default in the vm to take owership of the usb ports but it never stays connected long enough to do anything. As soon as I plus in my curve dm will find it and know that it is there, but as soon as I click on backup/restore or app loader tghe dm loses connectivity with my curve. I know that it does work as I had a curve before (had a iPhone in between) and I got it to work then, just can't rememebr what I did to make it work. It's not that big of a deal as I rarely load new apps. Since I switched to bes I run outlook in parallels and that keeps everything in sync without me having to connect up anything.

Well I managed to solve my problem and no I no longer have to boot into bootcamp to backup my bb. I got rid of Paralles! I installed VMware fusion and converted my Parallels image to it and as soon as it started and I plugged in my bb it was detected and now it works great. So I will be uninstalling Parallels shortly and only using VMware going forward. This
    06-30-08 12:39 PM
    i have had no problems with just syncing, Still waiting for a 3rd party program besides pocketmac for the apple. But i am an avid experienced Mac user, and still have an old DELL Laptop just for the few WIN based programs...ie Blackberry Desktop Software. But i can still manage my music, tones and pictures/vids via a little USB MINI SD card reader. So im not in the dumps. Ive adapted.
    06-30-08 04:39 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD