06-30-08 04:39 PM
42 12
tools
    you would think this would eb a huge market, or maybe its BB that doesnt want to be compatable with mac. with all the mac users nowdays i think it would be a given.

i am an avid mac fan, and plan on getting a new one soon and replacing this vile HP with a macbook.

what problems can i expect to face when i switch with my BB?

i dont do calendar sync or things like that just use it for loading ringtones, programs and themes for the most part. thanks!
    06-01-08 12:47 PM
    You won't be able to dl latest os. I had to use my wife's pc to get 4.5.37. Otherwise, I've had no problem with Missing Sync.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-08 12:54 PM
    Apple don't wanna work with BB because of the iPhone. They can't handle the competition.

I'll be upgrading to a Mac soon and I hope by then they have Desktop Manager and Plazmic for it but Plazmic I highly doubt. I'll have to install Windows on it and/or keep my PC.
    06-01-08 01:05 PM
    Kinda said but Apple will do whatever they can do discourage a happy BB+Mac union. It's very M$-esque

BBs are pretty much status quo in the business world, where Apple desperately wants the iPhone to play.

It just sucks for us who love our iMacs and BBs but I'm not buying an iPhone anytime soon.
    06-01-08 05:08 PM
    It's really the other way around, RIM doesn't support OS X very well. Look at it this way, MS doesn't make blackberry desktop, why should Apple?
    06-01-08 05:11 PM
    You can use VMWare or Parallels to run the BlackBerry Desktop Manager on your Mac, but $80 for one of those virtualization products plus at least $200 for a copy of Windows is kind of pricey just to manage your BlackBerry.
    06-01-08 07:30 PM
    wow maybe ill hold onto this hp for a while longer
    06-02-08 01:14 AM
    I'm glad I still have my XP desktop.
    06-05-08 10:48 AM
    duh!! They are not putting loads of effort into being compatible (thru iSync) because RIM is their main competition in the smartphone world.

A lot of the compatibility does not have to do with Apple though, it has to do with RIM not developing the desktop manager for OSX. So, you cannot blame all of this on Apple as they are not doing anything to prevent BlackBerrys from being compatible.

It just does not make sense for Apple to come out with their own software for a BB device when RIM is their main competitor. Even without the iPhone though, why would Apple want to develop software for the Blackberry?? Microsoft didn't go out and develop the BB Manager software, RIM did... so it is all in RIMs hands at this point.

You would think making desktop manager compatible with OSX would capture even more Mac users and take away some iPhone sales
    06-05-08 10:58 AM
    I'm surprised to hear that Mac users are having problems. Mac users are usually smarter than the average PC user and can usually solve any problem. Just kidding!

Don't forget to set your BB so that the media card is recognized as an external drive.

If that doesn't work then.... All you have to do is pull your BB formated media card from the BB and load it in an external reader. Connect to the Mac and load, delete, etc. your files. The Mac doesn't always recognize BB phones, but it'll recognize files on a media card. Reload the card in the BB and you should see your files. I tried this on my wife's Pearl and it worked like a charm! My 8820 works just fine with my iMac. Good luck!
    06-05-08 11:15 AM
    It's really the other way around, RIM doesn't support OS X very well. Look at it this way, MS doesn't make blackberry desktop, why should Apple?
    RIM need to work with Apple a bit to get it out there and Apple aren't being too helpful. RIM want to make DM for Mac.
    06-05-08 11:24 AM
    This is the case with most software, simply because the PC is the standard in the "business enviroment" From a consumer level is where this problem is starting to show up. It has nothing to do with iphone...

I am sure with how much RIM has been expanding in the consumer market, that it is something that they are considering. There have been rumors about the new Media sync connecting through Itunes. RIM has never needed it till now, but I bet it will happen in the not too distant future.
    06-05-08 11:51 AM
    RIM need to work with Apple a bit to get it out there and Apple aren't being too helpful. RIM want to make DM for Mac.
    Good point, from what I've read, Apple doesn't really go out of their way to help 3rd party devs.
    06-05-08 11:56 AM
    Yeah, what rasp said + the fact that they're rivals in the smartphone market.
    06-05-08 02:49 PM
    A very small part of it has to do with Apple. ANYONE can write software for OSX. There is PocketMac and MissingSync... both written by 3rd parties.

Now, someone tell me why RIM could not do the same thing but write their DesktopManager software for OSX.

Yes, I know that they are working on getting a release out FINALLY. But they should have started development sooo long ago. Nobody is holding them back. THEY are the ones that negelected us Mac users... and now that the iPhone is out they want to fight back and get more support out for Mac users.

They are already leaders in the smart phone world and have a great customer base (both windows and mac). They just need to add more support for mac or they will lose their current customers and potential customers to the iPhone (especially with the 3G iPhone coming out) mainly because it is better supported and works far better with a Mac!!

Apple plays a very minor role in this whole issue, so I don't see why us Mac users are blaming it on them.
    06-05-08 03:18 PM
    Im new at this and so if im buying a mac (which i plan on doing), how well does the pocket sync program work. will i really be able to sync my contacts and meetings? and just as a recap, how would i add files to my media card using a mac... after i have been using a PC with my 8130.
    06-05-08 03:21 PM
    Im new at this and so if im buying a mac (which i plan on doing), how well does the pocket sync program work. will i really be able to sync my contacts and meetings? and just as a recap, how would i add files to my media card using a mac... after i have been using a PC with my 8130.
    PLEASE::

Do not pollute this thread (because it was the first one you saw) with your unrelated question. Use the search feature and find about 15 threads answering your question.

THANK YOU!! And go for a Mac, there are multiple ways to overcome the hurdles regarding your BB.

**EDIT: Follow this thread for a start... followed by many others you can find thru search **
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f62/pro...s-first-33757/
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 06-05-08 at 03:34 PM.
    06-05-08 03:32 PM
    Apple don't wanna work with BB because of the iPhone. They can't handle the competition.

I'll be upgrading to a Mac soon and I hope by then they have Desktop Manager and Plazmic for it but Plazmic I highly doubt. I'll have to install Windows on it and/or keep my PC.

Yup!

Mac = iPhone
    BlackBerry = Competition for iPhone

Don't help the competition.
    06-07-08 05:11 PM
    i love my mac a dooo lol as i call it. Its my first love and IMHO iphone and blackberry have nothing in common. A blackberry is a business phone and the IPhone is a media driven phone. 2 diff markets so they will always have different types of consumers.

I like my BB but im not gonna lie, the thought of having my phone work flawlessly with my mac has made me think MORE THAN once about switching. I love my IPod touch with its onscreen keyboard.

As Macs get more popular so will the programs that work with them. Maybe it was too costly for BlackBerry to make a dedicated counterpart for OSX users. Who knows...but there are certainly ways to get around the woes
    06-07-08 05:44 PM
    Apples and Berries don't mix.

06-07-08 05:49 PM
    Apples and Berries don't mix.

hahaaa
    06-07-08 05:53 PM
    A blackberry is a business phone and the IPhone is a media driven phone. 2 diff markets so they will always have different types of consumers.
    I would like to respectfully disagree with the second part of your statement. Apple wants to enter the business world with the iPhone and are actively working towards that as we speak. By giving Mac users- who are as loyal and addicted as Crackberry users- compatibility with the BB without any issues, there would be far fewer people buying the iPhone. At least as it exists now.
    06-07-08 10:40 PM
    I would like to respectfully disagree with the second part of your statement. Apple wants to enter the business world with the iPhone and are actively working towards that as we speak. By giving Mac users- who are as loyal and addicted as Crackberry users- compatibility with the BB without any issues, there would be far fewer people buying the iPhone. At least as it exists now.
    Point well taken. I don't know if the IPhone can ever become as business driven as BlackBerry even if they tried...I mean building something off an IPod isnt exactly business. I am definately one of those loyal apple consumers and i am not shy to say that my macbook and my ipod touch is my first and 2nd loves. My BB is like the black sheep that tries to fit in but has some hang ups LOL. As being a social user, IPhone makes more sense for me personally, and it would fit into my lifestyle better. Don't get me wrong i like my BB but somedays it's more of a headache than its worth.

All in all, I think all business consumers know that BB is the way to go and IPhone isn't even a second thought(as of right now).
    06-08-08 12:20 AM
    Agree with this completely. I was shocked to find out that there wasn't equivalent DM software for Mac. That's squarely RIM's decision and no one else's. They clearly (IMO, clearly) didn't think Mac users was an important market until iPhone kicked them in the behind. Which always has me wondering WHY? I work in the creative industries which has almost always been Mac driven. It's very rare to see offices with PCs in the fields of work that I do. How was it decided that "no businesses use Macs" I wonder? so bizarre, so frustrating...

A very small part of it has to do with Apple. ANYONE can write software for OSX. There is PocketMac and MissingSync... both written by 3rd parties.

Now, someone tell me why RIM could not do the same thing but write their DesktopManager software for OSX.

Yes, I know that they are working on getting a release out FINALLY. But they should have started development sooo long ago. Nobody is holding them back. THEY are the ones that negelected us Mac users... and now that the iPhone is out they want to fight back and get more support out for Mac users.

They are already leaders in the smart phone world and have a great customer base (both windows and mac). They just need to add more support for mac or they will lose their current customers and potential customers to the iPhone (especially with the 3G iPhone coming out) mainly because it is better supported and works far better with a Mac!!

Apple plays a very minor role in this whole issue, so I don't see why us Mac users are blaming it on them.
    06-09-08 01:40 PM
    Now that the iPhone 3G was released today RIM really has something to worry about this summer. Their competition just got knocked up a few notches with the new iPhone coming out.

The Bold and Thunder better have a competitive pricing point and a similar feature set to back up their fight against the new iPhone. Many Mac users with Blackberrys along with other smart phone users will be looking into the iPhone, especially at that AMAZING pricing point of $199.

The feature set of the iPhone 3G is great as well... and stronger than the Bold in a number of ways. The only reason I would stay with BB is the tactile QWERTY keypad, other than that the iPhone has them beat in all departments.

Sorry, but the truth be told. Apple innovates and captures the crowd, especially when they have amazingly useful, simplisting, seamless products for less!
    06-09-08 03:06 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD