09-13-09 01:29 AM
75 123
tools
    I got SL family pack on day one. Installed it on a "second tier" machine. All went well so I put it on 4 other machines. Pretty much uneventful. Cyberduck quit working. It took a few minutes to grab the SL compatible beta. Apps launch slower now that they're "compressed" to save disk space. Not so bad 'cuz I picked up in excess of 10 gig on almost every machine.

Of course Missing Stynk puked. Did it puke because of SL? I doubt it. I was one version behind so I downloaded and installed the new M/S version and went through their painful delete restore reboot rituals and after several tries I have everything syncing again to my satisfaction. What a huge waste of time. Desktop Manager for OSX can't come soon enough to suit me.
    09-03-09 02:08 PM
    Lots of "my stuff" doesn't work. VMwareFusion for one, damm!t! Yes I'm running the updated "Snow Leopard" version.
    Parallels is glitchy, too, even with the update.
    Parallels works fine for me on 2 macs.

Airport is being a PITA. I was one of the ones that Airport worked GREAT on Leopard.
    Airport works fine on one and after 12 hours of "fixing" does not work on my macbook

MenuMeters doesn't work.
    Menu meters has been updated and works, but get istat menus...works fantastic.

Also Quickbooks fails miserably...if you must use this...don't do SL.
    09-03-09 02:35 PM
    Desktop Manager for OSX can't come soon enough to suit me.
    Amen to that! I learned the hard way use DM/Windows to backup my Tour before EACH Missing Stink sync. What a nightmare!

Mike
    09-03-09 04:08 PM
    From scandalex: “I would love to know how it's being installed over Tiger when it's core functions depend heavily on Leopard.”

I bought the retail package and did an upgrade on my intel mini running 10.4.11. I didn't install languages or printer drivers, just used the existing canon drivers on my mac. the install took 33 minutes and all has worked ok ever since—how boring. I installed rosetta for my non native programs.

I was expecting all kinds of hassles, like having to do a clean install and losing some programs. So I'm pleased with the noticeable speed bump and lack of stress.
    09-07-09 07:59 PM
    what is so much better about snow leopard? i downloaded it and i honestly cant really tell the difference.. HELP?
    09-07-09 09:42 PM
    Still deciding it was worth the $24 bucks I spent on it.
    Just think, it could have been windows which would have cost you a gazillion dollars- THATS not including trying to figure out what version you'd need/want.
    09-07-09 11:14 PM
    what is so much better about snow leopard? i downloaded it and i honestly cant really tell the difference.. HELP?
    You downloaded it?
    09-07-09 11:17 PM
    You really won't get even a fraction of the benefit of this OS until programmers start updating their apps to work with the new infrastructure (Grand Central, OpenCL, etc).

It will be fun to revisit this topic a year from now. That is when we will know how great or lame Snow Leopard is.
    09-07-09 11:18 PM
    You really won't get even a fraction of the benefit of this OS until programmers start updating their apps to work with the new infrastructure (Grand Central, OpenCL, etc).

It will be fun to revisit this topic a year from now. That is when we will know how great or lame Snow Leopard is.
    I'm enjoying it in the here and now. No telling what else Apple will have out in another year.
    09-07-09 11:21 PM
    I'd be happier with the OS if it didn't have a blackout glitch....

I fully expect to see 10.6.1 within the month....if you're doing anything with a video file, on the desktop, and have preview images/icons enabled the thing updating runs a good chance of blacking the screen out, your mouse is still there though.....

it's rather annoying....
    09-07-09 11:31 PM
    Installed over leopard no problems at all everything was functioning and was as it was prior to install. Done a clean install wiped everything and up and runnig with tetherberry bb dm with no problems

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 06:09 AM
    It's my understanding that one disc one Mac. Unless you purchased the family pack, you wont be upgrading moms with that same disc.

Oh I didn't mean it that way. I had her purchase her own copy the day I bought mine too. She is just waiting for me to come over and install it for her
    09-08-09 02:12 PM
    I wish I would have waited. Had to upgrade Parallels, and the new version is MUCH slower than 3. Also my HP Laserjet multifunction features aren't working anymore.
    09-08-09 02:22 PM
    Got my MBP last week with an upgrade disk in the box snow leopard is really nice the dock exposee is probably the only major noticeable upgrade but its really nice
    09-09-09 10:27 AM
    Installed SL yesterday... had no problems until I tried to print. I'm using a Black Macbook and a Canon MX860 in wireless mode. Snow Leopard was able to download the wireless print driver and solved that problem. However it was unable to find the correct scanner drivers. The drivers that SL downloaded did not support printer initiated scanning.

Did a bit of searching and found that SL doesn't include TWAIN drivers. But I did get it fixed so I figured that I would share:

I found under the "Drivers and Downloads" tab four updated drivers for SL

1. MX860 series CUPS Printer Driver Ver. 10.26.0.0 (Mac OS X 10.5/10.6)
    2. MX860 series Scanner Driver Ver. 14.11.1 (Mac OS X 10.3/10.4/10.5/10.6)
    3. IJ Network Tool Ver. 2.7.0 (Mac OS X 10.3/10.4/10.5/10.6)
    4. MP Navigator EX Ver. 2.1.2 (Mac OS X 10.3/10.4/10.5/10.6)

After I installed these drivers I got 100% function back.
    09-09-09 06:35 PM
    I wish I would have waited. Had to upgrade Parallels, and the new version is MUCH slower than 3. Also my HP Laserjet multifunction features aren't working anymore.
    If you install the 10.6.1 Delta Update it will most likely fix the HP prob. It did in my office for quite a few printers.

Not sure if I am allowed to post it here though...if you want it...let me know.
    09-09-09 10:09 PM
    Does Blackberry Desktop manager for mac work with snow leopard?
    09-10-09 01:36 AM
    Does Blackberry Desktop manager for mac work with snow leopard?
    Yes it does.
    09-10-09 07:04 AM
    Yes it does.
    yay thank you!

09-10-09 10:13 AM
    If you install the 10.6.1 Delta Update it will most likely fix the HP prob. It did in my office for quite a few printers.

Are you willing to share the early release of the update?
    09-10-09 11:30 AM

Any multifunctions that can scan now after the 10.6.1 update? That's the thing hurting me now.

My Command & Conquer Zero Hour doesn't work anymore now either. Grr.
    09-10-09 03:30 PM
    i had a couple issues with SL:

1) audio would unmute on boot regardless of prior settings
    2) ichat reo-opens any chat window that was open when it was quit...still looking for a resolution for that
    09-10-09 06:17 PM
    Just got SL today, not noticing a lot of difference lol..it doesn't seem any faster or better, I do like the new and improved stacks feature.

09-10-09 09:58 PM
    i had a couple issues with SL:

1) audio would unmute on boot regardless of prior settings
    2) ichat reo-opens any chat window that was open when it was quit...still looking for a resolution for that
    #1 doesn't happen on mine, and #2's been happening on mine since Tiger.....
    09-10-09 11:01 PM
    Bought mine launch day. Best OS so far.
    09-13-09 01:29 AM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD