09-13-09 01:29 AM
75 123
tools
    Snow Leopard just installed here !
    08-31-09 02:12 AM
    Instead of buying the update version of SL, I decided to sell out my Macbook and get a new Macbook Pro. I will be getting it by tomorrow, I hope. I've been using SL on beta since few weeks and the difference between a MB and my iMac 24" was huge. So I prefered switching to a machine with a descent (well... still is for notebooks) graphic card.
    08-31-09 05:47 AM
    Nice Nox,
    I picked up late 2008 Unibody when they came out. I was going to buy one just before that, but heard the Unibody's were going to have the 9400/9600GT combo in the mid-high MBP so that's what I got.

2.53ghz Core 2 Duo (chose that over the 2.8 at the time since the difference would be negligible minus maybe rendering)
    4GB RAM
    512MB 9400/9600GT Video (dedicated memory)
    320gb 5400 RPM drive. I went with the 5400 320 over the 240GB 7200 since the higher data density made up for a lot of the RPM change. So far I've been happy, and no matter what I plan to upgrade it to 500GB in the future so I'm good.

9600GT can get HOOOOT when you're pushing it, but thats why they made fan control apps.
    08-31-09 06:38 AM
    weeeee
    wiping my hd as we speak to install sl
    08-31-09 10:33 PM
    All we need now is the new Desktop Manager from RIM.
    agreed!!!!!!!!!!
    09-01-09 02:19 PM
    weeeee
    wiping my hd as we speak to install sl
    so i hear u can actually do a clean install with upgrade CD. you dont even need 10.5

apple said there T&Cs will provent people from doing this.

ya ok
    09-01-09 02:20 PM
    Got SL from Amazon pre order, but waiting to install until I figure out how it plays with Verizons' wireless card. Agreed that we really need DM for Mac!!
    09-01-09 03:12 PM
    i didnt touch snow leapord yet.
    i just got my MBP and am fine with the os it has now.
    i dont see a huge upgrade to getting SL anyway.

and yes damn it we need dm like last year!!!!!
    09-01-09 05:29 PM
    Been on Snow Leopard for about 2 weeks now, and uhm....

Lots of "my stuff" doesn't work. VMwareFusion for one, damm!t! Yes I'm running the updated "Snow Leopard" version.

Parallels is glitchy, too, even with the update.

Glims for Safari (I NEED THIS!) isn't updated yet.

Airport is being a PITA. I was one of the ones that Airport worked GREAT on Leopard.

I miss my Canadian Flag icon to enable Character Viewer.

MenuMeters doesn't work.

But it's FAST, and I love the new minimization! Love the mini-expos when click-holding on the Dock icon!

I really need my Virtualization software to work, though. Guess I'm gonna have to get in the habit of backing up the Berry on the Hackintosh for now, rather than the Macbook.
    09-01-09 10:35 PM
    Everything works for me. I got InsomniaX to work w/ an old version.

The ONLY thing that doesn't work is AVID MEDIA COMPOSER, but I don't need that right now and their FAQ says they're working no it. So no rush there as I have my in class new workstations.
    09-01-09 10:45 PM
    iMac 1 TB, 4 GB, 24 inch here - updated to SL last night - most everything worked great. I had to dump iAntivirus for the time being, BootCamp drivers were a little finicky in updating (I had to uninstall 2.1 using my Leopard DVD then install the 3.0 drivers using the SL disk), but overall I really like the changes.

I thought Fusion might not run, but it worked fine, except that I had to repair the VMWare Tools installation to get them running. All-in-all a great refresh of the OS. Nice work Apple!

Mike

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by ScuseMe; 09-01-09 at 11:40 PM.
    09-01-09 11:30 PM
    I'm another one that jumped on SL the day it was available. Apple store opened at 8 a.m. & I was there soon after.
    09-02-09 02:02 AM
    Been on Snow Leopard for about 2 weeks now, and uhm....

Lots of "my stuff" doesn't work. VMwareFusion for one, damm!t! Yes I'm running the updated "Snow Leopard" version.

Parallels is glitchy, too, even with the update.

Glims for Safari (I NEED THIS!) isn't updated yet.

Airport is being a PITA. I was one of the ones that Airport worked GREAT on Leopard.

I miss my Canadian Flag icon to enable Character Viewer.

MenuMeters doesn't work.

But it's FAST, and I love the new minimization! Love the mini-expos when click-holding on the Dock icon!

I really need my Virtualization software to work, though. Guess I'm gonna have to get in the habit of backing up the Berry on the Hackintosh for now, rather than the Macbook.
    Have new MBP 13 ". No problem with virtualization problem with SL (using VMware Fusion). Airport works fine. Haven't found anything that doesn't work yet
    09-02-09 09:33 AM
    Forgive me if I am asking a dumb question but I am fairly new to Mac. I got SL the day it was released as well...really excited. I was about to throw it in my MacBook when I read some blogs saying do a back up first. So I have not installed it yet. I get my backup drive today.

So anyway, after I do the back up I plan on installing and was going to just do the upgrade route, mainly because of all my MP3s I have loaded into iTunes and a few pieces of software (Office for Mac and 1 or 2 others). I figure if I just do an upgrade they will all still be there, and if there is a problem I have the back up.

But now I see so many people wiping the drive and doing a fresh install. I do see the benefit to this, but will I be able to restore my apps and music from the backup after a fresh install?

Again, forgive me if this is a stupid question, and thanks for any help you provide!
    09-02-09 09:46 AM
    I see no sense in doing a wipe first. I installed over Leopard. Everything works great.
    09-02-09 10:21 AM
    I agree with marckatz, just do an upgrade over Leopard. You have to unlearn some of the "must do's" from the Windows world.

This is not your mother's OS

Mike
    09-02-09 11:48 AM
    Thanks marckatz and ScuseMe! Now I feel better about upgrading...

oh and LOL at "This is not your mother's OS".....as a matter of fact I am upgrading her to SL after I am done LOL
    09-02-09 12:59 PM
    Upgraded to SL on Friday. I like the touches to the interface, and the fact that Word behaves itself in Spaces now is reason enough to justify the upgrade for me. The contractors working on our siding knocked out our Fios though on Monday, and I then tried to employ Tetherberry beta, only to find that it kept crashing my Mac - that's the only incompatibility I've discovered so far. Anyone else with this issue?
    09-02-09 09:08 PM
    Waiting for my amazon order to arrive today or tomorrow. Looking forward to a speedier system overall. Definitely doesnt have all the bells and whistles that Leopard had over Tiger. But who cares.

Anyone try installing the upgrade version on a Tiger system? i have heard it works.
    09-03-09 06:45 AM
    I've heard it works too from numerous people, but I have a Unibody MBP so it came with Leopard.

I honestly could care less about bells and whistles as I'm a huge fan of the Leopard system. The better backend is more important to me.

Sort of like the reverse of Vista. They went Bells and Whistles and it had a horrible backend. Apple went the opposite direction and I'm very happy with it.
    09-03-09 06:48 AM
    Running SL w/o problems. I do miss the American flag though! So I sympathize with skwij. 
    09-03-09 08:23 AM
    Thanks marckatz and ScuseMe! Now I feel better about upgrading...

oh and LOL at "This is not your mother's OS".....as a matter of fact I am upgrading her to SL after I am done LOL
    It's my understanding that one disc one Mac. Unless you purchased the family pack, you wont be upgrading moms with that same disc.
    09-03-09 09:45 AM
    Waiting for my amazon order to arrive today or tomorrow. Looking forward to a speedier system overall. Definitely doesnt have all the bells and whistles that Leopard had over Tiger. But who cares.

Anyone try installing the upgrade version on a Tiger system? i have heard it works.
    I would love to know how it's being installed over Tiger when it's core functions depend heavily on Leopard.
    09-03-09 09:48 AM
    Yeah well unfortunately i have to wait to install SL, i pre-ordered about a month ago but it will be sitting on my shelf until i get a copy of Adobe Master Creative Suite 4, otherwise i can't be sure any of my programs will function correctly. I was very upset that Apple did this at first but from what i have heard I'm not missing out on anything revolutionary and i can keep using Adobe CS3, hopefully the first update will be out by the time I install 10.6 and i wont have to worry about any of the initial bugs.
    09-03-09 12:53 PM
    I took my chances and installed SL over Leopard on my MBP (2.33ghz core 2 duo/2gb/120gb). Worked nice and fast(er) at first then bogged down -- lots of spinning beachballs & forced quits. Probably due to VMware and Office for Mac that I didn't remove prior.

So bit the bullet and did a clean install after doing TC & Carbon Clone backups - yeah, I'm a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy.

Adding 3rd party apps one by one. So far, so good. But I've not added VMware Fusion or Office yet. Waiting for weekend when I can really pay attention reinstalling those.

Am pleased with results: snappier performance, especially Safari. Boot up time is improved but not as much as I'd hoped for. Shutdown time really quick. Saved about 11gb of hd space. A number of little touches or improvements on interface I'm just beginning to notice and/or appreciate.

A nice upgrade, mildly evolutionary, a little more than a service pack. Still deciding it was worth the $24 bucks I spent on it.
    09-03-09 01:23 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD