Just wondering about other people's wifi mac address

I have been using bold9700 for a while. Just now, i was setting my router to allow my BB to connect (mac adddress filter), and I found out that this new BB has got a pretty strange wifi mac address.

Mine is F4:B0:93:552:CC
    This is my very first time that I see mac address begins with "F4"
    most devices mac addresses would be 00:so:me:th:in:g
    Last edited by guitarz; 12-27-09 at 11:10 AM.
    12-27-09 11:03 AM
    Mine is 00:.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-09 11:15 AM
    First 3 bytes are the manufactuer's ID. Although 00 as a the first byte is common, there are still a number of companies operating with different digits.
    12-27-09 11:16 AM
    my router wont let me give it a static address because it doesnt start with 00
    12-27-09 12:20 PM
    what brand router is it? Might want to try loading it with DD-WRT firmware instead of the native firmware - it's way more functional than any off the shelf consumer router firmware.
    12-27-09 01:58 PM
    My MAC starts with F4 as well. Static IP, for me, no reason too. As long as my 2 laptops and 1 desktop have a static it will be filled the others in the range.
    12-27-09 02:13 PM
    what brand router is it? Might want to try loading it with DD-WRT firmware instead of the native firmware - it's way more functional than any off the shelf consumer router firmware.
    I have a dlink vpn router I need to have the vpn capabilities so I dont think the wrt firmware will work for me
    12-27-09 02:15 PM
    I have a dlink vpn router I need to have the vpn capabilities so I dont think the wrt firmware will work for me
    The DD-WRT firmware (in some forms depending upon how much memory is in your router) supports VPN functionality. I don't mean to be a walking advertizement for DD-WRT but it's free, and a very very solid and functional piece of software that supports a very extensive set of routers.
    12-27-09 02:24 PM
    The DD-WRT firmware (in some forms depending upon how much memory is in your router) supports VPN functionality. I don't mean to be a walking advertizement for DD-WRT but it's free, and a very very solid and functional piece of software that supports a very extensive set of routers.
    I agree, DD-WRT Firmware is awesome and works really well on my Linksys WRT54G. Just be sure your router is compatible, you can brick your router if not.
    12-27-09 04:05 PM
    after doing some research, this type of mac adress belongs to RIM

F4-0B-93 (hex) Research In Motion
    F40B93 (base 16) Research In Motion
    295 Phillip Street
    Waterloo Ontario N2L 5R9
    CANADA
    12-28-09 01:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD