Hi guys, I am going to be a new BlackBerry user, and I am going to get a BlackBerry Bold 9000 tomorrow. I am getting rid of the buggy, slow, and always crashing iPhone for my BlackBerry.

I am in the process of getting the service side of things setup, such as my BIS, and things of that nature.

But what do I need to do to the Mac to prep the Bold for use? What software do I need to get to synch up with my Mac? I care most about calendar appointments I had in iCal from my iPhone.

And not as high of a priority, but equally important, what do I need to do to get my iTunes music onto the Bold? (They are not protected by DRM, they are just plain jane files, but they are in iTunes and contains Album artwork).

When I had my 8320, I went through PocketMac, but it didn't always work properly.

As a last resort, but I do have the resource available is VMWare fusion + Windows XP.
    Last edited by dontwalkhand; 05-19-09 at 01:50 PM.
    05-19-09 01:47 PM
    PocketMac and MissingSync are still the only options. With PM be sure to download and install the updated drivers before attempting to run PM.
    05-19-09 01:50 PM
    I use google sync.
    I couldn't get pocket mac or missing sync to work at all...
    05-19-09 02:12 PM
    I had problems with google sync. I think the real problem is Apple's rather junky implementation of iCal and address. In the end, I finally got missing sync to work reliably every time. I got an upgrade email the other day and ignored it. I'm on version 2.01 until I know I have lots of spare time to solve problems not of my own making. 2.01 seems to work and I ain't gonna break it to get some obscure feature.

RIM is rumored to be working on a Mac software solution. I bet they deliver it right around the same time we colonize Mars. Before you sync to your new BB device, be sure to back up iCal and address by exporting from each app and save those files away in case of trouble. If I had to go back and start over, I'd choose missing sync. There is a way to get a trial of missing sync. Contact MarkSpace support about it.

I should add that installing or removing PocketMac or MissingSync is the most windows-like thing I have ever done on my mac. From quitting EVERY application to the mandatory reboots at the end to the fact that these two programs cannot peacefully coexist on the same Mac.
    Last edited by r0k; 05-19-09 at 03:31 PM.
    05-19-09 03:29 PM
    I use google sync.
    I couldn't get pocket mac or missing sync to work at all...
    The number of people who cant get either to work reliably and consistently is extremely high.
    For those that do manage to get either to work, big ups to you....you're a rare breed.
    05-19-09 08:23 PM
    I got an upgrade email the other day and ignored it. I'm on version 2.01 until I know I have lots of spare time to solve problems not of my own making. 2.01 seems to work and I ain't gonna break it to get some obscure feature.
    This is exactly how I feel about PM. Installed a year ago and haven't touch it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it or upgrade it.

RIM is rumored to be working on a Mac software solution. I bet they deliver it right around the same time we colonize Mars.
    I bet Mars is colonized before we see DTM for the Mac.

Google Sync? Can't get it to sync two way sync my calendar. If I enter an appointment on my phone I have to manually enter it on Google Calendar.
    05-19-09 09:20 PM
    Hi,

What BlackBerry are you getting? Every BlackBerry model has different levels of success with different sync methods. It may help for users to list what works for them, there are so many variables. I use:

BlackBerry Bold OS 4.6.0.266 (BIS)
    MacBook OS X 10.5.7
    MS Entourage 2008 12.1.7
    Pocket Mac 4.125
    iTunes 8.1.1
    IMAP email & MS Exchange

This lets me reliably sync email (delete but not read status), Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes, and iTunes plus install apps. You will also need access to a Windows (Boot Camp, VMWare or a friend's PC) to update the BlackBerry operating system.

When on the BlackBerry Pearl OS 4.5.0.124 I had success with Missing Sync 1.03 and/or Google Sync. But with the Bold they were unreliable.

-- Robert.
    05-19-09 09:37 PM
    Hi,

What BlackBerry are you getting? Every BlackBerry model has different levels of success with different sync methods. It may help for users to list what works for them, there are so many variables. I use:

BlackBerry Bold OS 4.6.0.266 (BIS)
    MacBook OS X 10.5.7
    MS Entourage 2008 12.1.7
    Pocket Mac 4.125
    iTunes 8.1.1
    IMAP email & MS Exchange

This lets me reliably sync email (delete but not read status), Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes, and iTunes plus install apps. You will also need access to a Windows (Boot Camp, VMWare or a friend's PC) to update the BlackBerry operating system.

When on the BlackBerry Pearl OS 4.5.0.124 I had success with Missing Sync 1.03 and/or Google Sync. But with the Bold they were unreliable.

-- Robert.
    Rob that sounds like a good idea but not one thats going to be accurate, or even close to accurate. It doesn't matter what phone, OS, or version of Mac; PocketMac and Missing Sync has always been hit or miss.
    05-19-09 11:35 PM
    I downloaded Missing Sync and then Pocket Mac.

I use the BB Curve 8330 v4.5.0.131, with a Macbook Pro with OS X 10.5.7

At first I started with Pocket Mac but had a few problems with it. So I had to uninstall it and install Missing Sync, and then re install PM.

Works fine so far, but i'm new to the BB so I haven't noticed anything bad yet, and I don't know if I did that right lol.

So I hope it stays working.
    05-20-09 11:58 AM
    wait till these 3rd party apps get screwy with your BB syncing.. then you will be wondering why RIM hates Apple.
    05-20-09 02:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD