I've been reading the posts in this "Mac Users" forum for awhile, and I'm at a bit of a loss on what to do.

This September when I start my final year of university, I'll be getting a laptop of my choice as a gift from my dad. I have a PC right now, but once I get the laptop, dad will be taking this PC as the PC he's running right now is super old and sucks. I just got my Blackberry this month, and it is something I will NOT give up, ever. Before reading these forums, I was sold on a Mac. Functionality, (which people argue against, but majority says it's better?) less crashes, I know the programs I use will run on it, etc. It's what I need after being a PC user all my life and experiencing nothing but crashes. But I need something that works with my Blackberry too, and OS updates are important. If, by September RIM comes out with a Desktop Manager compatible for a Mac, or OTA non-beta OS updates become a norm, I won't even consider a PC anymore. But if this doesn't happen...

What would you choose?

Also, are there any disadvantages of using boot camp to run Windows on a Mac? Does it affect your Mac at all?

And also, I realize I can just use this PC for my Desktop Manager needs, but it would be a lot more convenient to just do this stuff on my computer and not have to kick dad off his computer for a half hour or so for a new OS.

Thanks for any input.
    02-28-09 11:50 AM
    Get the Mac, and ask Dad to use your former PC when you need to upgrade your BB when needed until RIM gets a Mac Desktop Manager out. The updates are not frequent enough to worry about kicking dad off the 'puter to do an upgrade... and, with RIM & carriers working on over the air upgrades, it may soon be a moot point to need a desktop manager for upgrades.
    02-28-09 12:26 PM
    Lets just say that I never used a Mac until I met my wife b/c I had grown up using PC's. One and a half years later I have two Macs and only use PC at work and my friends for OS updates that I choose to use. Our Macs run flawlessly and I will never buy a new PC again. That is just my opinion. Most my friends still have PCs.
    02-28-09 01:17 PM
    As the people before me have said, get the Mac and use your former PC for your BB needs. It's not as if you'll be upgrading the OS every hour so I seriously doubt there being a problem to use it for about 30-40 mins.

I barely touch PC unless I'm upgrading or syncing & I refuse to deface my MacBook by putting windows on it. When RIM finally releases a Desktop Manager for Mac, then & only then, will I become a full convert.
    02-28-09 01:36 PM
    As the people before me have said, get the Mac and use your former PC for your BB needs. It's not as if you'll be upgrading the OS every hour so I seriously doubt there being a problem to use it for about 30-40 mins.

I barely touch PC unless I'm upgrading or syncing & I refuse to deface my MacBook by putting windows on it. When RIM finally releases a Desktop Manager for Mac, then & only then, will I become a full convert.
    Amen. I have to End Program at least twice at work each day and have to reboot my PC desktop. I thought about adding windows once, and then I realized how much it pisses me off and how much I love my Mac. Maybe one day we will have a DM for Mac, but until then I will just use my buddy's PC.
    02-28-09 01:41 PM
    Sweet, thanks guys, just wanted some reassurance. Worst comes to worst, I can always use PCs at school or my fiancee's PC if dad's doing important work of some sort.

Now all I gotta do is read up on switching from a PC to a Mac which judging by what I've read shouldn't be hard.
    02-28-09 02:44 PM
    Sweet, thanks guys, just wanted some reassurance. Worst comes to worst, I can always use PCs at school or my fiancee's PC if dad's doing important work of some sort.

Now all I gotta do is read up on switching from a PC to a Mac which judging by what I've read shouldn't be hard.
    One of the keys to Apple is "think different!" The 1st time you sit down to your Mac, throw all that windows (s)hit thats probably stuck in your head, out the window...(no pun intended ) and then prepare to be amazed.

Macs are so simplistic that you may catch yourself in awe of its greatness. No seriously....you will!!

There are times I have no idea where I placed my BlackBerry, but I always know where my MacBook is at.
    03-01-09 01:19 AM
    One of the keys to Apple is "think different!" The 1st time you sit down to your Mac, throw all that windows (s)hit thats probably stuck in your head, out the window...(no pun intended ) and then prepare to be amazed.

Macs are so simplistic that you may catch yourself in awe of its greatness. No seriously....you will!!

There are times I have no idea where I placed my BlackBerry, but I always know where my MacBook is at.
    I've actually been using some Macs at school and I agree with you. They're very simplistic and EXTREMELY user friendly, I was very impressed. Can't wait until September to get rid of this piece of $h!t PC!
    03-01-09 10:36 AM
    I echo everyone's thoughts. Go for the Mac. I switched to Mac this past summer after 20+ yrs of reboots, crashes, hourglasses, Microsoft BS-you know the drill. All of the OFFICIAL OS updates will be OTA anyway-so you will not really need a computer for that. You can use your old PC for back-ups. Hopefully, a MAC DM will be released by RIM sometime in the near future (no guarantees). Ppl have been getting by with PocketMac (free) or Missing Sync ($40)-but some have reported problems. Search the threads here to see. But to transfer your music and media-you can simply connect to your Mac by USB and copy/paste them to your media card or you can try the free download doubleTwist. It moves videos more quickly. Good luck-but definitely go for it. You will not regret it one iota.
    03-01-09 11:08 AM
    I echo everyone's thoughts. Go for the Mac. I switched to Mac this past summer after 20+ yrs of reboots, crashes, hourglasses, Microsoft BS-you know the drill. All of the OFFICIAL OS updates will be OTA anyway-so you will not really need a computer for that. You can use your old PC for back-ups. Hopefully, a MAC DM will be released by RIM sometime in the near future (no guarantees). Ppl have been getting by with PocketMac (free) or Missing Sync ($40)-but some have reported problems. Search the threads here to see. But to transfer your music and media-you can simply connect to your Mac by USB and copy/paste them to your media card or you can try the free download doubleTwist. It moves videos more quickly. Good luck-but definitely go for it. You will not regret it one iota.
    Oh really? I didn't know that! Thanks, that makes my decision a lot easier.
    Last edited by The Nali; 03-01-09 at 03:13 PM. Reason: used html tags wrong
    03-01-09 03:12 PM
    Considering all the nonsense a Mac users has to go through, OTA upgrading of the OS would be fantastic!
    03-01-09 06:47 PM
    To me, the whole point of having a Mac is for its interface/OS, therefore why would anybody want to boot up in a Windows OS? I never understood this. In this day and age, most everything is cross-platformed anyway so why bother? It'll only eat up your RAM and slow things down, so why do it?

You should also try iWork in lieu of MS Office. It rocks and you can export to a Word doc, Excel doc and PP doc. So much better than MS Office.

Besides, you won't even need to bother with anti-virus programs because Macs never get them.

I'm telling you, once you go Mac, you'll never go back!
    03-01-09 08:16 PM
    To me, the whole point of having a Mac is for its interface/OS, therefore why would anybody want to boot up in a Windows OS? I never understood this. In this day and age, most everything is cross-platformed anyway so why bother? It'll only eat up your RAM and slow things down, so why do it?

You should also try iWork in lieu of MS Office. It rocks and you can export to a Word doc, Excel doc and PP doc. So much better than MS Office.

Besides, you won't even need to bother with anti-virus programs because Macs never get them.

I'm telling you, once you go Mac, you'll never go back!
    I heard about that, and it's something I definitely need to pick up. Microsoft Office is a necessity for me at school, and it's what I've been using for years. I've heard it works pretty much the same?

And you're right about Windows eating up my ram, didn't even think of that one actually. There's the disadvantage! Hopefully everything that is a necessity for me runs smoothly on a Mac. The research I've done so far shows that everything (except Desktop Manager of course) will run fine!
    03-03-09 08:10 PM
    Mac all the way.. even if that includes giving up a BB
    03-04-09 03:34 PM
    Mac all the way.. even if that includes giving up a BB
    Amen, and amen. I love my Blackberry, but I WORSHIP my Mac. I hope you are listening, RIM!
    03-04-09 03:42 PM
    Amen, and amen. I love my Blackberry, but I WORSHIP my Mac. I hope you are listening, RIM!
    Whoa, really? Hope it doesn't come down to that though!
    03-04-09 05:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD