03-28-09 08:04 PM
36 12
tools
    I am dog tired from waiting for RIM to get things together for Mac users..

The Palm Pre seemed to have every phone pundit drooling... and I was excited about it until I learned the only hope for a Mac user was probably 'bounce all your data through Google'

Until the iPhone 3.0 OS announcements on the 17th of this month..

It ticks almost all the boxes for me

1) Landscape keyboard in all apps (thumbs anyone?)
    2) Cut & Paste.
    3) Hooks for apps (like being able to port email text to an app)
    4) Calendar subscriptions
    5) Stereo Bluetooth
    6) Search

I cant imagine Apple would have the nerve to release the next version of the iPhone with another crappy 2 Megapixel camera..(the 3.2 on my BB 8900 is great in daylight)

So.. fingers crossed

Anyone else thinking of throwing the Blackberry / Mac towel into the ring?

Problems for me...

You Tube quality = poor (My iPhone chums watch TV on their iPhones!) I have to watch video sometimes for my work
    BB browser = terrible (always have to use Opera Mini) I am on the browser a LOT for my work
    Mac sync = worrisome - problems
    Spinning black clock of death = happens quite a lot
    BIS / Mac = incomplete sync experience
    Music Player = speeds up and slows down (changes pitch)
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 03-20-09 at 05:34 AM.
    03-19-09 04:15 PM
    I am not loyal to a phone. Should something better than what I have come along for Sprint, I'd go in that direction.
    03-19-09 05:35 PM
    I'm the first to bail on RIM to get a iPhone....
    As soon as Verizon gets them on their network.. I'm GONE.
    ATT has NO SERVICE here...
    03-19-09 06:37 PM
    I'm not loyal to any phone brand, but for now BB does everything I need in a phone. However, my next phone will be the N97, which also happens to come out in June.
    03-19-09 07:15 PM
    I debated for quite a while between the iPhone on Rogers versus a Storm on Telus and opted for the Storm. Overall I decided it is better for what I need, and Telus is much cheaper than Rogers. So I'm on a new three-year deal and have no intention of switching, BUT I can definitely see what you mean. After the announcement of new iPhone firmware, if Telus and Rogers had comparable prices, I would have a very tough decision on my hands and it may not have gone RIM's way.

Mac synchronization being my big issue. The Browser and YouTube are clearly worse, but rarely use either anyway. The OS was running brilliantly for the first while but has gone way downhill lately - even reverting to the official .76 didn't restore whatever seems to be wrong with it.
    03-19-09 08:15 PM
    I had the iPhone for a year and came back to the BB.. It really comes down to how your using it.. You've made all valid points with some of the drawbacks/cons of a BB (I am one of the few that like the BB Browser.. it serves its purpose)...

If you're looking for a media device, then the iPhone is more for you.. if email and simplicity is important, then stick with the BB.

here's a few of the "quirks" that bothered me w/ the iPhone, none of which 3.0 will resolve:

1) Handling of Mail - I didn't like one Mail icon for multiple accounts, but then having them split up inside.. I like the BB way where I can either do one merged view OR separate mailboxes.

2) No Folders on the home screen(s) - When you're limited to 12 apps per page (I only used 9 to keep the bottom row clear for swiping), it becomes reduntant swiping between 6 or 7 pages.. Folders would have been a HUGE help, or the ability to add more than 12 and scroll up/down. The BB isn't perfect, you can't do sub-folders, but its still a huge improvement and help for keeping organized.

3) Customization... You can change themes and things like that, but I actually prefer the default looks, I would have lived to been able to change the font sizes though.. I like smaller text to get more on the screen and that wasn't an option.

4) Battery... 1 day, max - and wouldn't even get close to that with heavy use. If I was out of the office I had to be careful, around 3:00 the battery would be low to the point I had to put the thing aside and really limit my use til I could get back to a power source. Normally, I had a dock at my desk so it wasn't an issue, but you do need to limit yourself if you know you won't have the "luxury" of electricity for a day.

All that being said there were alot of Pro's to the iphone - mainly, the number of Apps and the fact that you could never get bored with it. I'm an Apple fan boy as much as anyone, but I'm also fair.. While 3.0 has improvements (Things which I do believe should have been there from the start) I really don't think I'm missing anything by sticking with my Pearl.
    03-19-09 10:43 PM
    I gave my iPhone to my daughter. Bought one on launch day, and another 3G. My biggest issue was AT&T. It was a stunning upgrade from the work-issued Treo 650 which I hated, but after using it for a year, I found I really need the feedback of a keyboard, and care little for watching movies or YouTube on my mobile device - my Thinkpad S10 and Macbooks take care of those things better than *any* phone.

That's why I happily carry a Curve and not a Storm. I have become a Crackberry, and wouldn't take another touch screen phone (including the Storm) if offered at no charge.

Interested in the Niagra developments, but not chomping at the bit for it. 18-36 months has been my upgrade cycle since my DynaTAC 8000, and I see no reason to change.

As always, YMMV. And the BEST phone ever made is...

Whatever works for you
    03-19-09 11:42 PM
    Good to get the feedback..

Yeah.. I need to be browsing webpages for work.. and receive email links to web pages to visit - the fact that the BB by default launches its own slow browser when I click on those links - kills me..

I am hoping the iPhone landscape keyboard will allow me to bring my BB qwerty thumb typing chops to the iPhone - I hope I don't have to do that one finger screen jabbing thing...

I need to find out how to store documents and attach them to emails on iPhone. It may not be possible.. So I will need to find a work-around.

I don't need or want ANY of the "game", time-waste or amusement apps - those don't interest me at all.

So that's the plan - a move to iPhone this summer.. Still there is plenty to play for - Like all smart phone watchers, I am keeping my eyes on the Palm Pre, HTC, Samsung and Nokia..

Gahh.. I just remembered that I recently moved AWAY from the iPhone network in the UK (O2) - to Orange (to get UMA on my 8900) ... Hmmmm.. It could cost me to make that move.. Yikes..

Hey - does the iPhone use WiFi if it cant find a network? (does it have a UMA style functionality?)
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 03-20-09 at 05:19 AM.
    03-20-09 05:01 AM
    I love my berry but with these 3.0 updates can't say I won't consider it!!
    03-20-09 06:10 AM
    AppleInsider | iPhone OS 3.0 first impressions and photos [Updated]

There are reports coming in of encrypted back ups as an option..

That may fill some (but not all) security gaps that businesses didn't like about iPhone...
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 03-20-09 at 07:34 AM.
    03-20-09 07:17 AM
    I am 50/50 as to if I am going to switch over. With copy & paste and calendar subscriptions, plus being able to use MobileMe, I am very intrigued. I am not a fan of touch-screen phones, though. I was against having my phone be the same thing as my iPod because of battery concerns, but now that my video iPod has some dead places on the screen, perhaps it is time for me to look into changing.

Depends on how much AT&T wants to squeeze out of me.
    03-20-09 10:59 AM
    I am curious to learn if my BB thumb typing chops can be brought to the iPhone 3.0 horizontal keyboard party...

That one finger jabbing .. I dont wanna be doing that..

2 x digits!!!!
    03-20-09 11:15 AM
    I am 50/50 as to if I am going to switch over. With copy & paste and calendar subscriptions, plus being able to use MobileMe, I am very intrigued. I am not a fan of touch-screen phones, though. I was against having my phone be the same thing as my iPod because of battery concerns, but now that my video iPod has some dead places on the screen, perhaps it is time for me to look into changing.

Depends on how much AT&T wants to squeeze out of me.
    Depends on how you're using MobileMe.. my .Mac account works fine with my BB.. The calendars, and contacts syncing wirelessly were nice, but not really a jutification to switch, or more not justification for keeping it when I had it. (for me).

Battery is still a concern.. that was one of the final things for me to make the switch back. I used my iPhone as my iPod for music and video on the train to work each day.. Now I've got my Pearl and a 16GB Nano which works perfectly.

Copy and Paste is nice, but I never really missed it with the iPhone, and the implementation I saw doesn't seem as straightforward as it does with physical controls. I know in the demo it looks peachy but I had a hard enough time when I had to go back and make a correction within a word (magnify, clicking the right spot, etc) - I don't think C&P is a no-brainer like it is on the BB.
    03-20-09 11:42 AM

NOW the ? is if the touch is able to hold 32GB there in works for a NEW modle of the iPhone that has everything plus the 32GB space????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????

I'd guess that a 32GB iPhone would be announced in June/July, that seems to to be the upgrade cycle for the iPhone. Also rumored to be a new version coming out altogether.. but thats getting slightly off-topic!
    03-20-09 11:45 AM
    .....I used my iPhone as my iPod for music and video on the train to work each day.. Now I've got my Pearl and a 16GB Nano which works perfectly.

Copy and Paste is nice, but I never really missed it with the iPhone, and the implementation I saw doesn't seem as straightforward as it does with physical controls. I know in the demo it looks peachy but I had a hard enough time when I had to go back and make a correction within a word (magnify, clicking the right spot, etc) - I don't think C&P is a no-brainer like it is on the BB.
    I eventually ended up doing the same. My iPhone became strictly an iPod. With the battery life being so bad, I got to the point I was afraid to even use it all day for fear that it would be dead and I'd be left w/O phone AND music.

In the long run, I prefer to have my "media" on a separate device.
    03-20-09 01:57 PM
    It is doubtful that RIM will push forward with a Mac Desktop Manager. I have detailed and analysed this many times in the Mac forum on Crackberry but now, the Mac is once more losing sales to the PC PC sales jump in February as Mac continues to decline : Boy Genius Report so I think that t is less like to happen now thatn ever. When Windows 7 hits the markets, I feel that the trend will acceperate.

The iPhone is not a true smartphone. It is simply an iPod that makes phone calls. Even with Cut and Paste, you still can't swap out the battery when it runs down nor can you remove the media card.

The OP cited the 2 Mega-Pixel camera on th eiPhone and this it a very good example of the over-priced, over-hyped (Apple, AT&T get sued for misleading 3G claims, again), underfunctioned products that Apple always seems to over-market on the planet.

The BlackBerry is a good, solid, reliable phone that thas a lot less panache that the IPhone but, it delivers what people actually need in a phone.

I have never really been a follower of popular trends. Instead I have always used intelligence, education and my own commin sencse (which is not all that common) to fulfil my communication and computing needs with products that perform well in the functions I feel that I need in a reasonable price / performance ratio.

I have, since the Apple II, found Apple's product offerings wanting. Obviously this is my own personal opinion.
    03-20-09 02:11 PM
    The iphone (which I had) is a great device but it comes with some costs, I love apple products but this was deffinetly not the best thing apple ever released, PM me for details and I can tell you of my failed experience with the iPhone.
    03-24-09 09:02 PM
    The iphone (which I had) is a great device but it comes with some costs, I love apple products but this was deffinetly not the best thing apple ever released, PM me for details and I can tell you of my failed experience with the iPhone.
    That's odd. Why should anyone PM you when you've already put it out in an open forum? I mean, we've all had varying experiences.
    03-24-09 09:09 PM
    The iPhone is not a true smartphone. It is simply an iPod that makes phone calls. Even with Cut and Paste, you still can't swap out the battery when it runs down nor can you remove the media card.

The OP cited the 2 Mega-Pixel camera on the iPhone and this it a very good example of the over-priced, over-hyped (Apple, AT&T get sued for misleading 3G claims, again), underfunctioned products that Apple always seems to over-market on the planet.
    I agree with some of your points... however I disagree whole-heartedly that the iPhone is not a true smartphone. The battery has nothing to do with it... if thats the case then the Macbook Air and Dell Adama (both have unswappable batteries) arent true laptops?

My 2G iPhone, with its 2MP camera took better pictures than the POS camera on the Storm. Its not always about mega pixels.

A more correct statement ... the iPhone isnt a Blackberry...... but it is a smartphone.
    03-25-09 01:28 PM
    As someone who made a living shooting photos, I can say with certainty it is NEVER about megapixels.

You can make a 5MP camera, put a crappy plastic lens on it, and the photos from any 2MP will blow it away if the lens is decent. Yes, the sensors will make a difference too, but in a digital photo (or film, for that matter) the quality of the lens is much more important than MP.

And my iPhone 2MP did take much better pix than the Curve does. But I'd never go back.
    03-26-09 11:27 PM
    I have already decided that after the iphone is upgraded to 3.0 OS I am going to make the switch. Why should I stick with a phone that is not going to get along with my Mac? I didn't buy and Mac and download windoze to it either! So Iphone here I come!
    03-27-09 07:45 AM
    I will always buy a Mac over a PC and I will always choose Verizon over AT&T. If RIM would make synching my BB as easy on a Mac as a PC then i have no issues (but it appears they have no interest in it). I'm with XXFire on this - once the iPhone is available on Verizon, i'm going to have to switch.
    03-27-09 08:10 AM
    I've loved having a blackberry for the past year or so and have recently bought myself a storm (up to now working pretty well for me) However if o2 (uk provider) had a better signal in my house i'd have an iphone tomorrow regardless what it cost me to buy out my contract with voda. I bought my girlfriend one so have had a chance to play with it quite a lot works very well for what i need if RIM had a way of linking like mobileme does to a mac they'd be back in with a shout. Signal strength alone keeps me with a blackberry at the moment
    03-27-09 08:11 AM
    I will always buy a Mac over a PC and I will always choose Verizon over AT&T. If RIM would make synching my BB as easy on a Mac as a PC then i have no issues (but it appears they have no interest in it). I'm with XXFire on this - once the iPhone is available on Verizon, i'm going to have to switch.
    I struggled with syncing on my Mac as well, even a good program like MissingSync comes up short sometimes.

However now, I am syncing quite well on my Mac. How?

1. Quit using iCal
    2. Quit using Address Book
    3. Use Google's Calendar, Gmail Contacts and Google Sync for Blackberry

Once I did this, I am happily pushing my Contacts and Calendar both ways without having to connect my phone to my Mac via USB or Bluetooth. Synchronization takes place almost immediately. I can be hundreds and hundreds of miles away from my Mac and I can still sync my phone... you simply cant beat that.

Google Gears allows you to use Calendar and Gmail offline in the event of your internet connection going down and will sync with the cloud when your internet connection is restored.

I do have a copy of Windows XP I run on VMWare for software updates. However, even if RIM releases a Desktop for Mac, I wont use it for synching as I refuse to be physically tied to my Mac (USB or BT) to synch my contacts and calendar. Apple iCal and Address Book can easily be replaced by the Google equivalents. Once you unchain yourself .... possibilites are open.

Cloud synching is the way to go.... its available now thru Google.
    03-27-09 09:56 AM
    Cloud synching is the way to go.... its available now thru Google.
    And according to this website "Google Sync Makes a Step Toward Cloud Synchronization for Mobile Devices" posted on March 16th 2009, it's $95 to do it your way.
    03-27-09 10:38 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD