OK I know Verizon states this is not supported with their software. But, has anyone tried to tether the Storm with their Mac yet?
    11-24-08 05:24 PM
    I haven't tried it yet. I will definitely try it now though.
    11-24-08 05:26 PM
    There are no drivers from RIM in order to suppoprt a teathered connection. So short of writing your own device drivers it won't work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 05:27 PM
    I haven't tried it yet. I will definitely try it now though.
    please let us know if you get it to work.
    11-24-08 05:27 PM
    There are no drivers from RIM in order to suppoprt a teathered connection. So short of writing your own device drivers it won't work.

it worked for me with the pearl and that one was not supported. just wondering about the storm.
    11-24-08 05:28 PM
    Yes - I have successfully tethered with my MacBook Pro via Bluetooth.

Pair the Storm with Mac and tell it to use it's data connection.

I used Other | Verizon Support as the modem.

User = yourphonenumber@vzw3g.com
    Password = vzw
    Number to Dial = #777
    11-24-08 05:30 PM
    Yes - I have successfully tethered with my MacBook Pro via Bluetooth.

Pair the Storm with Mac and tell it to use it's data connection.

I used Other | Verizon Support as the modem.

User = yourphonenumber@vzw3g.com
    Password = vzw
    Number to Dial = #777
    do i need to add the tether plan for this option?
    11-24-08 05:35 PM
    I didn't use VZW Access Manager, just set it up in my Network Settings in my MBP but I DID get it work. I am on it right now!!!
    11-24-08 05:40 PM
    do i need to add the tether plan for this option?
    The first time you try to connect it WILL prompt you to add a tether plan with it. If it hasn't CALL vzw asap because they are funky about charges like that.
    11-24-08 05:41 PM
    I just hooked my macbook pro 2008 new laptop with my blackberry storm via bluetooth!

login :6023303899@vzw3g.com
    password : vzw
    dial up number : #777

hit setup bluetooth device and set it up to be a dialup modem.

Last STEP BUT IMPORTANT! when you hit the ADVANCED TAB under bluetooth device setup when you are in network setup page......choose OTHER selection for modem NOT generic. When you select that choice a 1xevdo verizon setting will automatically pop up in the window. (weird! i know it didnt show up until you select other!) But do the bluetooth setup first because i think the other selection is actually the modem that it recognized from your STORM when you setup that part first.

Oh by the way ...typing on my mac via bluetooth storm hooked up WIRELESS!! right now!
    11-24-08 06:10 PM
    Cheers ... just found this post from Google and am typing this via BT tether as well. Bump for this useful post!
    05-10-09 10:56 PM
    Do you need to pay for tethering and this method has been around for awhile now

05-11-09 06:02 AM
    Getting errors when I try to connect. It paired with the phone ok... but get this error when connecting

Internet Connect
    A modem error occurred. Please verify your setings and try again.

Configuration:
    Checked: access the internet using your phones data connection
    Phone vendor: other
    Phone model: Verizon Support (PC 5220) - only option available
    Username ##########@vzw3g.com
    Password: vzw
    Phone number: #777

It created two serial ports: One rs232 protocol for BB Desktop service
    One Modem protocol for service: Dialup netowrking
    05-25-09 10:58 AM
    I had set this up fine on OS X 10.6. I am now on OS X 10.6.2 and I don't see "other" as a vendor option and I can not connect any longer. Any ideas?
    11-18-09 09:18 AM
    Yeah I was tethered to my MBP via BT last night while my cable internet was down. I use VZAM though, so no real configuration required.

As a side note, if you want to give it a try and you're on VZW they're offering a 30 day free trial. Basically you connect your Storm via BT to your Mac, go to system prefs, networking, select the "BlackBerry" connection, advanced, select manufacturer RIM, apply, ok, close. Connect. Browse to any page and you'll get the VZAM signup page where you can read more about the 30 day offer.
    11-18-09 09:23 AM
    I don't see OS X 10.x support for VZAM on the download site. Are you running it under vmware? I have a storm 1 and a tether plan and it worked before I updated my OS.
    11-18-09 10:50 AM
    Just looked at a 10.6.0 system and it has "other" as a vendor option. If you upgraded to 10.6.1 or 10.6.2 you will lose this support. I have a case open with Apple but not crossing my fingers.
    11-23-09 05:16 PM
    I don't see OS X 10.x support for VZAM on the download site. Are you running it under vmware? I have a storm 1 and a tether plan and it worked before I updated my OS.

the vzam site doesnt list support for bberry on osx 10.x, but if you download for PC5750 pc card, it will also work for the storm.
    11-24-09 02:04 PM
    It was my BES settings. The IT department decided to disable dialup networking so it has nothing to do with Mac OS X.
    12-03-09 11:06 AM
    Yup, could be a BES IT policy issue. As I mentioned in my post #15 in this thread I was able to connect to VZAM with my S2 on a MBP running 10.6.2 with zero problems. Was online in about a minute, FWIW.
    12-03-09 11:12 AM
    Great success tonight... some minor changes for the configuration that I think were overlooked.

here are some details I needed to pair a Blackberry Tour 9630 with my Macbook Pro w/ OSX 10.6.2 / Verizon Wireless (Tethering Plan included)

First, when you pair your Blackberry an Mac, you will need to change the serial type to MODEM from the defaul of RS-232 if you want to dail. The RS-232 option kept giving me a modem error.

Modem type of "Other" was not a valid choice for a modem type in 10.6.2, but the Research In Motion was a valid choice. I selected :

Vendor: Research in Motion
    Model: Blackberry IP Modem (GSM)
    APN: internet.com
    CID: 1

With this configuration, Is used the default dial up details of:
    Phone: #777
    Account: (My 10 Digit Phone)@vzw3g.com
    Password: vzw

Result at Speakeasy.net for bandwidth from my home office (Center of house) in Mendota Heights, MN was 302kbps down and 223kbps up. I can live with that!

I am a happy camper tonight! No VZAccess Manager but I have a fast GSM connection!

CGrossmeier
    12-16-09 08:46 PM
    Hi -

I am using a Storm 9550 on Verizon's network, and I can't get it to tether with a MBP running 10.6.2.

Has anyone been successful with this? I just tried the above where the person had success with the Tour and 10.6.2.

Help?!?!

I just moved, and I can't get internet hooked up for a week. It is killing what work I can actually do around Christmas...
    12-23-09 02:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD