Ok Guys, I got it to work on mine and I DO NOT guarantee it will work for you but i've tested it out on 2 storms twice and on 1 curve twice just to make sure and it worked every time, so i'm pretty confident that it will work for you but don't yell at me if it doesn't

First, DO NOT use DM and DO NOT do this in FULL SCREEN because you will need the toolbar at the top for VMWARE.

What i did was go to the loader app in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader then click on Loader.exe.

Then stick your blackberry in and follow through the prompts, pick out what you want to put on your blackberry and make sure you click the box, then hit next, then click finish. When it starts the upgrade process more then likely you will get to the point where it says either "connecting to boot rom" or "uploading ram image" and it gets stuck, if it gets stuck go IMMEDIATELY to the top bar of VMWARE where it says "Virtual Machine" then scroll down to "USB" and you will see the option to "CONNECT RESEARCH IN MOTION BLACKBERRY" click that button and you will see it continue on with the process. Basically what is happening is the blackberry is disconnecting from the computer and never reconnecting so you have to do it manually.

Please tell me if this works for you guys, i've done this 6 times and worked everytime so hopefully I could have been some help to you guys. Just ask if you guys have any questions.
    06-09-09 01:55 PM
    set the usb to auto connect... it's simple...
    Love it...
    06-10-09 01:38 AM
    set the usb to auto connect... it's simple...
    Love it...
    How do you set it to auto connect? I was looking for that option but it can't find it anywhere in VMWare. It autoconnects some times but other times it won't that how i found the fix but its like it only autoconnects when it wants to.
    06-10-09 07:53 AM
    I use VMWare with Desktop Manager and it works like a charm. Just take care to have a proper Win install at hand, de-activate screen saver, and there You go.
    06-16-09 01:07 PM
    I have mine set to auto connect...when on the uploading rom or w/e xp makes that sound when a device is connected, but it makes this noise twice. After the second one, the phone turns off and won't turn on again until I do a battery pull.

I will try your method later tonight, but should I change auto connect in the vmware settings before doin so?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-09 04:59 PM
    When the device makes the second noise and the phone turns off, if you go to the USB option does it say that the phone is still connected or disconnected?

If it says it is disconnected, just connect it and see what happens? I'm assuming it is in the middle of the uploading it is freezing, mine does that sometimes and usually i go right to the USB options and see that it was disconnected, once i connect it it starts up again.

Tell me if it works, i'm not sure what to tell you about the autoconnect. I would try what i said above, if that doesn't work then turn off the autoconnect and try that again.

I have mine set to auto connect...when on the uploading rom or w/e xp makes that sound when a device is connected, but it makes this noise twice. After the second one, the phone turns off and won't turn on again until I do a battery pull.

I will try your method later tonight, but should I change auto connect in the vmware settings before doin so?

06-16-09 05:12 PM
    Cool thanks for the advice, I'll let you know when I try that later tonight

06-16-09 05:45 PM
    I tried this and bricked my curve. Luckily for me Tmo was understanding and swapped phones. I think bootcamp is the way to go now.

06-20-09 10:49 PM
    I spent hours doing this last night using parallels.. i fidgeted with every USB setting i could find and STILL never got it to work.. i finally gave up at 3am and went to bed.. i was thinking of installing vmware and having a go.. but if you guys are having the same problem.. maybe there's no point.
    06-21-09 12:19 PM
    I've never got it to work correctly on Parallels, my above instructions were ONLY for Vmware. I had the exact same issues as you.

Once I switched over to Vmware it worked fine and i can do upgrades anytime without any problems.

I spent hours doing this last night using parallels.. i fidgeted with every USB setting i could find and STILL never got it to work.. i finally gave up at 3am and went to bed.. i was thinking of installing vmware and having a go.. but if you guys are having the same problem.. maybe there's no point.
    06-21-09 12:24 PM
    Well, i may give it a shot see if it works.. if i can't get the BB to play nice.. this mabook pro will be perfect! It's only 3 days old and i'm so glad i went with a mac
    06-21-09 01:23 PM
    vmware didn't work either.. the usb only disco'd for a second and reconnected itself, i didn't have to do anything.

Now granted i'm running win7 because i don't have a copy of xp here.. but i tried xp in parallels and it didn't work there either.. i could try xp in vm but i'm tired of this now.. 2 virtual desktops, 4 OSes and countless hours.. gah!
    06-21-09 02:47 PM
    How much are you all spending on software just to update the phone?

06-21-09 09:44 PM
    i finally gave up after three days and enough anxiety for a year.. upgraded via windows machine. Too bad...
    06-21-09 10:55 PM
    If your blackberry immediately seemed to disconnect from VMware Fusion, check the devices panel in Windows. My USB controller had a ? next to it. If I updated/installed the drivers it works.
    09-12-09 06:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD