Is anybody having any issues running an update with VMware 3.0? I tried to load a hybrid today and got stopped at the ROM. Didn't brick my phone but couldn't load any further. I have a Storm 2.

I used VMware in the past with my Storm 1 and never had any problems. But that was the 2.03 version. Just wondering if the 64 bit version is causing a problem.
    Last edited by hookbill; 11-21-09 at 05:55 PM.
    11-21-09 05:53 PM
    Is anybody having any issues running an update with VMware 3.0? I tried to load a hybrid today and got stopped at the ROM. Didn't brick my phone but couldn't load any further. I have a Storm 2.

I used VMware in the past with my Storm 1 and never had any problems. But that was the 2.03 version. Just wondering if the 64 bit version is causing a problem.
    Yep, it would seem that for us S2 owners the days of installing hybrids/OS via VMWare are over. Looks like it has to do with the way the VM grabs (or doesn't grab) control of the S2 via USB @ the ROM stage. Someone assured me Parallels (which never worked for me on the S1) would work on the S2 but, alas, even after setting USB for the RIM device to default to the VM first, FAIL.

It looks like the only thing that'd work would be Bootcamp, but I'm not in the mood to reformat and rebuild my OSX partition. Easier just to trudge to an office PC and go that route, though it sucks not being able to upgrade at home. Bummer
    11-21-09 06:13 PM
    Well that certainly is bad news. I have a PC by my Mac. Back to the old way again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-09 07:42 PM
    It's regrettable. All that time spent finding uninfected versions of VMWare and XP on TPB!

Hopefully someone far smarter than me comes up with a way to get the VM to lock onto the RIM device during that first shutdown/restart.
    11-21-09 07:51 PM
    You're quite sure this is specific to the Storm 2? Not just because VMware was upgraded?

As far as your idea of making the USB default, I looked at it during the attempted install of the hybrid and VMware doesn't really lose it' connection with the S2. It just doesn't seem to make a proper connection at the ROM stage.

Well, like I said it's back to PC for this. Funny because I hadn't actually looked at my PC for sometime and there was an upgraded for DM available. I went ahead and upgraded it.

It's kind of a pia to get to the back of the PC to plugg in the USB. I have it behind my desk. Oh well.
    11-22-09 07:53 AM
    Why not just run the Blackberry Desktop Manager for Mac? It works fairly well for me...
    11-22-09 06:40 PM
    Why not just run the Blackberry Desktop Manager for Mac? It works fairly well for me...
    Because, since we can't run .exe's on our Macs, we can't install base operating systems. Or hybrids. Which are almost all .exes.
    11-22-09 06:41 PM
    Since "upgrading" to VMware 3 I get the same thing, with my S1. It stalls at "connecting device" and it plugs/unplugs over and over, until I get an error message.

Parallels 4 is just as bad.

Oddly enough, my "ancient" version of VMware (2.0.5) on the Hackintosh is still working just fine and dandy. Needless to say I will NOT be "upgrading" that system.

DM4M is not an option. It's a total FAIL for me across the board.
    11-23-09 01:11 PM
    I have a Verizon Tour and VMWare 3.0 seems to cause the same problem, stalling at ROM, when I try to update the Tour's OS.
    11-29-09 03:53 PM
    It's a good thing I read this thread before upgrading my VMWare. Thanks guys.
    11-29-09 06:24 PM
    I don't accept failure easily, but on this issue I've surrendered. Today I put used Bootcamp 3.0 in SL on my iMAC and MBP to create an XP partition, installed DM, dl'd full .320, and will deal with rebooting to do my upgrades until someone comes up with a hack for this. *sob*
    11-29-09 06:32 PM
    Is it just upgrading? or does it disconnect when installing apps too? i just downloaded vmware now
    11-29-09 06:37 PM
    Just ran into this issue not being able to get past the loading rom stage using vmware fusion 2.0.6. Has anyone found a solution to this? It's quite annoying since this used to work and I'm thinking this might have broken with snow leopard.
    02-05-10 03:52 PM
    Just ran into this issue not being able to get past the loading rom stage using vmware fusion 2.0.6. Has anyone found a solution to this? It's quite annoying since this used to work and I'm thinking this might have broken with snow leopard.
    Unfortunately no. I've tried VMWare v.2.x, 3.x and Parallels v4 and v5. None will get past loading ROM on the S2, though all did with the S1. It seems like something related to the S2 to me, since I had no probs upgrading the S1 with VM & Parallels using SN. The problems started for me when I got my S2.

I ended up sucking it up and loading XP Pro in BC. Rebooting's a little PITA, but not a huge deal....
    02-05-10 03:58 PM
    The S2 has different boot timing.
    It boots faster than the Mac (VM) can grab the port.
    I have the same issue. S1 was fine. S2 is a no go.

I use a real PC to do updates.
    02-05-10 06:52 PM
    Anyone find a workaround to this yet?
    03-03-10 04:12 PM
    There isn't one that I have found,
    S1 or at least the one I had worked great.
    My wife has a S1 that behaves exactly like my S2 and won't upgrade on a Mac running Parallels.

I've tried everything with my S2 and it's just a no go.
    03-05-10 03:05 PM
    Yeah, VM and Parallels can't grab the device quickly enough (S2). Regardless of the VM settings (and I've tried them all), S2 ends up reverting (for USB purposes) to the host (mac), instead of the VM.

I sucked it up and BootCamp running XPProSP3 on a partition. Rebooting's not a big deal, and I don't have to worry about the installing crapping out half-way through and ending up with a nuked BB.
    03-05-10 03:44 PM
    Best way to do it is to run Boot Camp.

Seriously, it's easy. You run Boot Camp from your Utilities folder, install Windows (whatever version you want), and dual-boot Windows and OSX.
    03-06-10 02:01 AM
    Best way to do it is to run Boot Camp.

Seriously, it's easy. You run Boot Camp from your Utilities folder, install Windows (whatever version you want), and dual-boot Windows and OSX.
    Not an option if you have more than one partition on your mac. At least not without reformatting.
    03-06-10 07:18 PM
    Anyone try Virtualbox? Probably a long shot, but maybe their USB implementation works differently than VMWare and Parallels.
    03-06-10 07:20 PM
    i'm downloading 3.2.2 right now, will report later

edit: no go. i even downgraded to DM 4.6 in VMWare which had worked in the past with my pearl. Nothing seems to work with the 8530 aside from an actual windows machine. mac dm sucks :/
    Last edited by arjang; 06-02-10 at 10:04 PM.
    06-02-10 01:42 PM
    I have the same issue with my 9700.
    Have tried both win7 and XP in both Vmware and Virtualbox but no joy.
    To be sure that the problem was not with my mac or maybe cable I tried to upgrade my old S1 and that worked just fine.

Also tried vmware-player on Ubuntu but still no joy, I noticed that Ubuntu tried to mount the BB as a generic USB storage device. So I removed the USB storage module (rmmod usb_storage) but that also did not help.

Bottom line, as noted before by others, it looks like the new devices boot faster than vmware can grab the usb device. Is there maybe a way to get the device to boot slower ? I tried to keep the c button pressed in while booting but that did not help ...... I am out of options

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-10 06:15 AM
    yup my old pearl i could upgrade with vmware fusion no prob

edit: i tried with parallels too...still no luck. damn RIM fix your mac dm
    Last edited by arjang; 06-03-10 at 09:05 PM.
    06-03-10 11:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD