07-04-09 11:10 AM
44 12
tools
    VM Fusion vs parallels, which one is better? major differences?

Thanks
    12-20-08 04:34 PM
    I've heard that Fusion is better than Parallels (which I'm running Parallels) but I also heard that they're both the same so who knows?
    12-20-08 04:36 PM
    VM Fusion big time...
    I am running Arc Map on my MBP and it smoked away my Pararrles install. You can use the dual core processors... allow more RAM and use your 3D graphics card... Unity mode pw0ns Coherence mode... The stuff is plug and play in VM.. lots more friendly plugging stuff in....

If your looking to go that route rather then install Missing Sync , I'd go with MS...
    12-20-08 05:34 PM
    VM Fusion big time...
    I am running Arc Map on my MBP and it smoked away my Pararrles install. You can use the dual core processors... allow more RAM and use your 3D graphics card... Unity mode pw0ns Coherence mode... The stuff is plug and play in VM.. lots more friendly plugging stuff in....

If your looking to go that route rather then install Missing Sync , I'd go with MS...
    you convinced me i am going with VM

thanks both of you
    12-20-08 06:10 PM
    i forgot to ask, is it easy to install. any good tutorial online that you can recommend?
    12-20-08 06:20 PM
    i forgot to ask, is it easy to install. any good tutorial online that you can recommend?
    No need...
    It's that simple..
    You put the disk in and it will install itself...
    Nothing hard at all...
    12-20-08 06:23 PM
    Give this a read over....
    I had both.. now this is all I use..
    VMware: VMTN Blog: Top 10 things you can do with VMware Fusion and your Mac
    12-20-08 06:37 PM
    Anyone ever convert their VMs from Parallels to VMware? I've had all sorts of problems with Parallels 4.0, from a buggy 1st release that wouldn't install to unrecognized activation keys that were legitimately purchased to poor customer support response times. Will converting over to VMware require a complete install of the VM OS or will VMware convert what is already on the hard drive? How is VMware customer support?
    12-20-08 07:38 PM
    Anyone ever convert their VMs from Parallels to VMware? I've had all sorts of problems with Parallels 4.0, from a buggy 1st release that wouldn't install to unrecognized activation keys that were legitimately purchased to poor customer support response times. Will converting over to VMware require a complete install of the VM OS or will VMware convert what is already on the hard drive? How is VMware customer support?
    I did and I have much more functional environment ( I do lighting visualization and calculations so it is a taxing virtual environment ) - I installed fusion and it automatically pulled in the windows build from parallels.
    12-21-08 12:48 PM
    I did...
    Went from Parallels to VM and it was flawless... EVERYTHING saved.. was AMAZNG..
    12-21-08 03:15 PM
    Give this a read over....
    I had both.. now this is all I use..
    VMware: VMTN Blog: Top 10 things you can do with VMware Fusion and your Mac

thanks a lot
    12-21-08 05:37 PM
    I am using Parallels 4.0, I am so happy with this. I used to use Fusion, didn't like it much, it seemed to not work as well. There are a lot of updates in the Parallels 4.0 that has made me happy. You can use a lot of RAM, I believe even use both cores. It seems to be nice and fast for me. I do not use Windows much as I do not like anything Microsoft (slow and ehh)
    12-30-08 10:28 AM
    I am using Parallels 4.0, I am so happy with this. I used to use Fusion, didn't like it much, it seemed to not work as well. There are a lot of updates in the Parallels 4.0 that has made me happy. You can use a lot of RAM, I believe even use both cores. It seems to be nice and fast for me. I do not use Windows much as I do not like anything Microsoft (slow and ehh)
    Too many updates in Parallels to try to keep up with Fusion. The new Fusion is amazing.. SO much faster.. and I KNOW uses both cores.. I don't think it does I know cause I tell it to ! I also tell it to use the 3D efx of the video card.. unlike Parallels...

THIS is a killer setting screen...
    I have a OS back up every 4 hours so if something happens I just go back and restart to 4 hours previous and it's good to go...
    Dial in EVERYTHING you want... It does it FLAWLESS...
    I do some major GIS Mapping in XP on my laptop and it blow my co workers Dell away...

12-30-08 12:20 PM
    I spoke with several Mac techies at three different Genius Bars (Salt Lake City, Dallas and outside Minneapolis) about VMware v Parallels and they all recommended VMware. Less problems, quicker, no locked screens. So I have had it loaded on my MBP since I got it in July and have had no problems and am happy with it.
    12-30-08 08:53 PM
    I am using VMWare Fusion to back my BB up as well as install programs to it. I have also used Parallels Desktop. The main difference I found is the customization of VMWare is much more in detail. For example, you are able to assign One or Two cores to be run VM while in previous versions of Parallel's you were unable to do so.

As well as Installing with VMWare was such a breeze. Parallels would always have me going through some kind of loop.

I hope that this helps.
    12-31-08 11:37 AM
    All right i am going to install vm fusion this weekend

few questions for you guys:

i have 250 go hardrive, how much you recommend me to leave for xp? i m pretty much going to use xp for dm that s it, so i was wondering 10go is enough? 20? more?

better to install xp or vista?.. i m quite sure xp is better but it wont hurt to have your feedback
    01-03-09 02:05 PM
    All right i am going to install vm fusion this weekend

few questions for you guys:

i have 250 go hardrive, how much you recommend me to leave for xp? i m pretty much going to use xp for dm that s it, so i was wondering 10go is enough? 20? more?

better to install xp or vista?.. i m quite sure xp is better but it wont hurt to have your feedback
    Seeing that you are installing widows via VMF, you will note that it will not take up the 20GB (or whatever size you choose) right away. You can set a maximum amount of space you want your install to take and it will begin with the bare minimum until it needs more.

As you continue to add programs, files, etc., the program will continue to grow in size until (if it ever does) reaches its maximum.

If you are installing it just to use BB Desktop (as you have suggested), then I would suggest 10GB, that way you would have room for extra programs, files and the like. And you would have space just in case of emergencies.

As for XP or Vista....XP wins. No further thoughts on the matter
    Last edited by hagosrush; 01-03-09 at 02:18 PM.
    01-03-09 02:12 PM
    Seeing that you are installing widows via VMF, you will note that it will not take up the 20GB (or whatever size you choose) right away. You can set a maximum amount of space you want your install to take and it will begin with the bare minimum until it needs more.

As you continue to add programs, files, etc., the program will continue to grow in size until (if it ever does) reaches its maximum.

If you are installing it just to use BB Desktop (as you have suggested), then I would suggest 10GB, that way you would have room for extra programs, files and the like. And you would have space just in case of emergencies.

As for XP or Vista....XP wins. No further thoughts on the matter
    Thanks hagosrush, now i just have to wish that all will install properly
    01-03-09 02:22 PM
    Thanks hagosrush, now i just have to wish that all will install properly
    Not a problem , just know that you will need your xp key prior to the program installing winxp (depending on the speed of your mac it should take about 20 - 40 minutes)

welcome to the mac side of windows
    01-03-09 02:26 PM
    20 to 40 min that s not bad at all.. will let you know
    01-03-09 02:33 PM
    20 to 40 min that s not bad at all.. will let you know

Cool... .
    You'll love it...
    any problems just holla...
    01-03-09 08:43 PM
    Everytime i try to install the Desktop Software on my WinXp via VMFusion .. i get an error saying it can't install cuz my Windows is in Safe Mode.

Did any of you have this problem ?
    01-10-09 06:20 PM
    I finally installed fusion and xp pro... It was very easyt o install

i am so happy to be able to do os update and and finaly getting back to normal with the sync of my data

i didnt have any problem to install dm everything went flowless

thanks again for your advices
    01-13-09 01:00 AM
    Glad it worked for you!!!
    Just did the .86 upgrade no problem...

Wish RIM would still come out with the Mac version
    01-13-09 01:12 AM
    even if they do for my understunding it wont allow you to do any os update .. but who know?!
    01-13-09 10:36 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD