has anyone had any luck upgrading or installing a hybrid/leak on parallels desktop for mac using windows dm or apploader? mine doesn't seem to be detecting my device when it gets to the "connect to boot ROM" step
    11-08-09 02:16 AM
    I have not had any luck using parallels...I had to use bootcamp. I did not try the 5.o version as I'm not spending another $50 for it.
    11-08-09 09:39 AM
    I never could get it to work on Parallels, wouldn't recognize the device during initialization.

Resolved the problem by trashing Parallels and downloading VMWare Fusion Haven't had any problems upgrading using VMWare.
    11-08-09 09:40 AM
    Resolved the problem by trashing Parallels and downloading VMWare Fusion Haven't had any problems upgrading using VMWare.
    i just ditched parallels and got vmware today and it still didn't work it's doing the same thing parallels was doing? is there a certain way i have to set it up?
    11-08-09 07:01 PM
    In Parallels you have to set up the device preferences so that it grabs the device before the MacOS can get it.

It does work. I have flawlessly upgraded my wife's Storm and mine through multiple OS releases and leaks without a hitch.

Select -> Preferences (then select) USB (then set up the BB with) permanent assignment.

Once that is done it will grab the Storm as soon as the USB can be enumerated and the Storm recognized.
    11-08-09 08:31 PM
    Well, take my earlier post back. While VMWare + XP + Mac = Easy upgrades on the 9530, I'm trying to load a hybrid on the 9550 using the same setup, same VM, everything's the same (except for the device), and Loader won't recognize the device when "Connecting to ROM". I've tried using different USB ports, disconnecting/reconnecting the 9550, removing the battery from the 9550, and restarting the VM. Still no luck.

Has anyone successfully installed a hybrid on the 9550 using VMWare? If so, any steps that I might be missing?
    11-12-09 01:56 PM
    i tried upgrading 5.0 leak onto my bold through dm on parallels.. also gets stuck on connecting to rom
    did some reading around the net, apparently its a parallels drivers issue, simply doesnt know how to reconnect to the blackberry after the initial power cycle.. best find a real pc (or bootcamp it) to upgrade
    11-16-09 01:28 PM
    Not true.
    You have to tell Parallels to grab the port, see my post above.

I have been using Parallels and DM (4.6 and 5.0) and have upgraded multiple BB Storms. it works.
    11-16-09 06:36 PM
    Not true.
    You have to tell Parallels to grab the port, see my post above.

I have been using Parallels and DM (4.6 and 5.0) and have upgraded multiple BB Storms. it works.
    I appreciate your info, but have you actually upgraded a 9550, or just 9530s? The 30s upgrade fine using VMWare, but not the 50s. I grabbed a copy of Parallels, threw XP on it, followed your steps, and still got a big fail on Connecting to ROM... the host seems to still grab the RIM composite device, regardless of my using your recommended settings above. So if you've performed a successful install on a 9550 I'd love to know exactly what your setup is and how you got it to function. Thanks.
    11-26-09 10:37 AM
    Yes.

If Parallels is letting the host grab the RIM Composite Device, you have not configured Parallels correctly.

As soon as I connect my 9550 or 9530, Parallels grabs it even if I reboot it.

You have a configuration issue.
    12-01-09 01:01 PM
    I have both parallels, vm and sun's virtual box on my macbook pro. i have both xp and win7 running in all three.

i am experiencing the same exact problems you guys are but with my 8900. whether i setup the usb to be grabbed immediately or not, it hangs when trying to connect to the rom.

only way i was able to get the hybrid rom loaded was to use an actual windows pc. (i don't have a boot camp partition setup yet)

wonder if it's something with the hybrid oses or the new models (8900, 9550, 9700)?
    12-02-09 10:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD