hey guys i am completely new to blackberry. this has to be the greatest site for blackberry users because i have only had my phone for about two days and im already running 4.5.77 on it. its sweet. anyways i found out how to use my phone as a modem through my macbook pro and everything runs great. i am just wondering if i am going to get charged for using this? to access i use the #777 like many others. i called sprint and they told me there was no way i could use my phone as a modem on my current plan. i am on a simply everything plan right now. because i dont enter a username or mobile number to get this to work on my mac i dont know if i will get charged for using it. i searched the forums and could not find anything on this. does anyone else use this option?
    thanks in advance!
    10-14-08 04:00 PM
    Do you have a data/broadband connect plan?
    10-14-08 06:29 PM
    If it's the same as Verizon, if you're not provisioned for modem tethering (which is extra for both carriers), then you dial the #777 and try to browse, you'll hit a "walled garden" website which will tell you what the charge will be and ask you to sign up for the access.
    10-14-08 06:40 PM
    paulk i just have a data plan that includes unlimited data, navigation, etc. its the "simply everything plan 450",look on sprints web site. its specifically states that you cant tether but i was able to do it. im guessing its not the same for verizon, i had read they blocked that somehow. thats why im really confused because they sprint rep told me i had no way of accessing it! by the way whats a broadband connect plan?
    10-14-08 10:26 PM
    r1, I am still confused as to how to use my 8830 as modem with my macbook. I also have Sprint and a data plan. Can you tell me exactly how to use my 8830 as a modem?
    Thanks.
    11-19-08 11:24 PM
    The only way to do this is to call Sprint, speak with the BlackBerry tech staff, and add Tethering (Phone As Modem) to your plan for $15/month. Otherwise this will not work. You cannot do this for free. Most of the techs will not know how to set you up on a Mac. I have successfully set it up after adding tethering, as many other users have here. Please do a search for the instructions (as per the CB guidelines) if you then cannot figure out how to get this up and running on your Mac, I will gladly help. However, I assure you that if you search first, you'll find plenty of posts out there that address this issue using Sprint with a Mac for tethering purposes. I have had tethering on my plan with Sprint, using my MacBook Pro for quite some time now, and its come in handy in various scenarios. Good luck, and feel free to come to me with any questions. I'm sure I'm going to become the certified Mac/Sprint guy here shortly...lol.

Michael

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-08 12:08 AM
    t393 first off i dont know what plan you have exactly so just look out for charges on this. i currently have the sprint 450 everything plan that includes everything but tether! once again i was told that i could not add this to my plan anyway i spinned it. i didnt set up any account or anything to use the tethering service!

1. first make sure your bluetooth is turned on! both on ur mac and on your 8830
    2. then open up your network preferences and select bluetooth
    3. for configuration setting select default
    4. in the telephone#field type in- #777
    5. leave the account name and password fields empty and press connect

* if you havent already you might have to set up your phone with ur mac using bluetooth first *

once again i am not paying for this service. i was told by a sprint rep i could not access this feature on my phone in anyway. they were wrong! i am typing this on my mac and sending using my phones network or tethering whatever you wanna call it. how this works for me is anyones guess! let me know if you get this feature up and running on your mac. if you have problems just pm me. idk if it has anything to do with my plan but like i said it just works!
    11-20-08 09:04 PM
    I'm not trying to call you out, or be obscene, but that is impossible.

Although the steps you've described above ARE accurate and that IS the correct method of tethering on a Mac (minus a few small steps), the service will not work if Sprint has not switched on the "phone as modem" option on your account.

There have been countless people who have tried to set up their Mac using the above mentioned steps to no avail. You CAN establish a connection from the berry to the mac, but the mac will NOT obtain a valid IP address from the berry if you don't have the "phone as modem" option turned "on" on your account.

I also know from personal experience, that this is impossible. My MacBook Pro is set up the same way as you described above, and the same way as thousands of other Mac users...when I had tethering removed from my plan, it stopped working. As soon as I added it back to the plan, it began to work again.

Because Sprint tech support could not guarantee that tethering would work with OSX, and because they didn't support it in any way shape or form, I decided to try it myself and was successfull in getting a connection using the above mentioned steps. However, once the switch is turned off, that's it. It is impossible for the berry to establish a connection with the server, without this option turned "on" on your plan. Its a gateway switch, and technologically speaking, it wouldn't even make sense for this to work without the addition to your account first.

I have had this discussion with others who have claimed this feat, who eventually turned around and admit they were lying.

If you really think you're tethering for free, I ask that you double check your network connections in system preferences, and make sure you are not actually using AirPort, or an ethernet connection to obtain an IP.

Michael

11-21-08 03:06 PM
    i understand what your saying but the truth of the matter is that i am doing it! i have no idea how its happening but it is. i really wish i could show you but i cant. i have been in areas where wifi wasnt even available and did my usual thing with my bb 8830 and my mac pro and its worked every time. idk if it has something to do with the plan or what, but it is working just fine! there is no add on for tether on my account so idk how im doing it. truth is that i have no reason to lie and its not like im going to call sprint and ask them how me doing this is possible! wish there was a way to prove it. once again i am using my phone as a modem as i type this message. i must be one lucky *** guy or something, but i know i cant be the only person doing this right now. once again there's no reason for me lie about this aspect in general. sorry i couldnt be more helpful but ultimately its working for me and thats all i can say! and by the way how could i just randomly make something like this up? its not like its a hot topic on this forum!
    11-21-08 10:54 PM
    Hiya,

I've been reading this thread because I would like to use my BB 8830 as a modem for my MacBook Pro. My organization pays the extra $15/mo needed for it to act as a tether and it works... for my PC, but not for the Better OS. I don't have pocketmac or anything else on the mac, but it sounds like I shouldn't need that. Regardless, I couldn't get the connection to work as it does on the PC. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    02-22-09 12:23 AM
    My suggestion is to do a search my friend - there are several guides on here for tethering an 8830 with a Mac. The guides are flawless, and work exactly as written. Try searching for Mac Tethering 8830

If and only if after you've read the guide, followed it, and are still having trouble - I will help you. This is a simple process, even for a newb. So you shouldn't run into any complications.

Michael

02-23-09 09:28 AM
    My apologies to you - I have found out that this is now working on my current plan as well...without paying the $15/month ... I am baffled, and almost outraged, because I have paid $15/month for almost a year on and off incurring well over $300 in charges...I have posted about it in this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f70/loo...38/index2.html

Id like to hear yours, and anyone elses comments.

i understand what your saying but the truth of the matter is that i am doing it! i have no idea how its happening but it is. i really wish i could show you but i cant. i have been in areas where wifi wasnt even available and did my usual thing with my bb 8830 and my mac pro and its worked every time. idk if it has something to do with the plan or what, but it is working just fine! there is no add on for tether on my account so idk how im doing it. truth is that i have no reason to lie and its not like im going to call sprint and ask them how me doing this is possible! wish there was a way to prove it. once again i am using my phone as a modem as i type this message. i must be one lucky *** guy or something, but i know i cant be the only person doing this right now. once again there's no reason for me lie about this aspect in general. sorry i couldnt be more helpful but ultimately its working for me and thats all i can say! and by the way how could i just randomly make something like this up? its not like its a hot topic on this forum!
    03-31-09 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD