I have a 9530 with os 5.0 and just bought one for my wife and her's has 4.7 & it is soooo weird. The scroll does not flick..it only scrolls how far you move it...just one of the MANY differences in mine. Anyways, so I am wanting to upgrade it to OS 5.0 but we are on at&t and do not use the data plan. How can I use the Blackberry Desktop Mgr to upgrade? One additional thing to hinder my success...as if I didn't have enough already...I am on a mac, so anything from RIM software that is a exe won't work. I have not seen a lot posted on here for MAC's so if I missed someone else having this already posted I apologize. Thank you for any help.
    12-02-09 08:33 PM
    Wasn't DM for Mac just released not to long ago? Not sure what updating your OS has to do with having a data plan or not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-09 08:54 PM
    Nothing to do with my data plan, just saw that some upgrades were OTA. Anyways I'm now having other issues. It was complete with the upgrade and waiting on the device to reload, I noticed that the load screen had changed to the new one so I was excited. But then my DM said upgrade not successful and now when it restarts it gives me all these errors like "uncaught exception: java.lang.nullpointerexception" and another one but I keep missing what it's error is...only that its another "uncaught exception: java...."
    12-02-09 10:06 PM
    There is indeed a version of Desktop Manager for Mac now available. You can download it from here: BlackBerry - Desktop Software for Mac

Now, so long as your Storm is a Verizon branded Storm, it doesn't matter what OS is currently on it or who your carrier currently is. The BlackBerry Desktop Manager for Mac will be able to download the Verizon upgrade and install it for you. As a heads up though, be sure to follow the steps listed in the workaround here for a successful upgrade:

View Document

If you don't follow the steps in the workaround, you could end up having the problems listed in the upper portion of the KB article.

Good luck!
    12-02-09 10:11 PM
    Oops, I posted too late. Check out the link I posted above. You can reload the OS using Desktop Manager for Mac and just reload the OS using the steps from the link above.
    12-02-09 10:12 PM
    Well so far it is working ok, at first is wasn't sending any sms...but now it will...the errors so far havn't hindered anything. And if I try to update it it says there are no new updates. So I may have been successful...now if only I didn't get screwed and buy one where the dang BB button only works half the time...argh...the girl swears "it worked just fine for me all the time" ya ya likely story.
    12-02-09 10:21 PM
    Since you had all those errors, I would wipe it and do a clean install...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-09 11:09 PM
    If needed, use these steps to reload the OS on a Mac:

1.) Backup your data.
    2.) In the Mac version of the Blackberry Desktop software, click Applications, then Check for Updates.
    3.) Click "Show other versions"
    4.) Select the option labelled "Current Version - Reload" then click Select
    5.) In the next screen, expand the "Reload Options" area and make sure both "Back up and restore device data" and "Back up and restore third-party applications" are unchecked
    6.) Click re-load
    7.) Restore your previous backup
    8.) Re-install third-party applications manually.

Don't miss any of these steps and you'll be good to go. Note, another user on the BSCF wrote up these steps and it's worked to fix the problem you saw after upgrading.
    12-03-09 02:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD