For some reason my Storm will not upgrade to 4.7.0.75 OTA. Is there a way to download the new OS to my BBS via Mac?
    12-06-08 12:49 PM
    The only way to upgrade the OS via mac would be to install Parallels or Bootcamp and install windows.
    12-06-08 12:51 PM
    or vmware fusion
    12-06-08 01:04 PM
    Any idea why my Storm won't update OTA?
    12-06-08 01:09 PM
    It's my understanding that you can't update any blackberry operating system over the air. You have to perform the update using the desktop manager. The desktop manager is windows only at this time.
    12-06-08 10:02 PM
    It's my understanding that you can't update any blackberry operating system over the air. You have to perform the update using the desktop manager. The desktop manager is windows only at this time.
    Updated mine OTA last night.

Do you have Wireless Upgrade on your phone (it's under Advanced Options)? If not, there is a thread somewhere on crackberry explaining how to get it.
    12-06-08 10:14 PM
    I just did my upgrade OTA, did they charge you anything I noticed at 1 point while starting the upgrade i said charges may apply, Dont really care either way just wated the upgrade and pocketmac wont work for me
    12-07-08 12:52 AM
    I'm trying to do an OTA upgrade here but keep getting an error message saying "Not enough available memory to store downloaded files. Delete 14 MB of personal data from device memory and then resume download"....the thing is, I have 870.9MB of available free space of my 879.2MB of total space in my Device memory.

what's going wrong here?
    12-07-08 02:01 AM
    Folks,
    Brand new to BlackBerry. Just got my Storm (via Verizon) earlier in the week. I, too, am a mac user and am trying to upgrade to latest v .76. Can someone explain how to upgrade via OTA? I have vmware fusion and willing to try and install this way, but getting upgrade directly to phone seems to be much easier option. Thanks in advance.
    12-07-08 09:40 AM
    Can crossover be used?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-08 05:31 AM
    My guess is that you will never be able to upgrade BlackBerry OSs on a Mac. Why? Two reasons:
    - OTA upgrades are the way forward and this method will be how we (mostly) get our upgrades in the future
    - To bring out every single OS upgrade on both PC and Linux (Mac) would be a huge undertaking for RIM and I doubt they have the resources to do it. Since most Macs can also run Windows, I would think that this would be the preferred manner to do this.

I have heard with some certainty that a version of Desktop Manager will be released for the Mac but it has all gone quiet on that front for the last several months.
    12-08-08 05:59 AM
    best way is to run bootcamp or parallels
    12-08-08 10:47 AM
    When its talking about memory make sure you empty your browsing cache in your browser.

go to your browser. push menu then go to options. its somewhere in there to clear your cache.

also try deleting some apps you dont use. i deleted all the IM apps, same for VZ nav and Visual Voice Mail.
    12-10-08 02:21 AM
    - To bring out every single OS upgrade on both PC and Linux (Mac) would be a huge undertaking for RIM and I doubt they have the resources to do it.
    No, it wouldn't be a "huge undertaking" if RIM used a reasonable OS upgrade method -- for example, shipping a Java desktop app or an .ALX file that would do the upgrade. I like the idea of OTA upgrades, as it takes the desktop machine out of the process.

BTW, when you wrote "Linux (Mac)", did you mean to imply that Linux and Mac are the same thing? If so, that is incorrect. Mac OS X is based on BSD Unix, not Linux.

Since most Macs can also run Windows, I would think that this would be the preferred manner to do this.
    No, no, and once again no! First of all, it is not true that most Macs can run Windows in their current configuration. There are various emulation and virtualization solutions, but all require additional software, and many do not support the USB port operations necessary for BlackBerry OS upgrades.

Also, Mac users tend to get upset when we have to run Windows for some key piece of functionality. If we wanted to run Windows, we would have gotten Windows computers in the first place.

I have heard with some certainty that a version of Desktop Manager will be released for the Mac but it has all gone quiet on that front for the last several months.
    That would be nice -- but at the moment, RIM is still sponsoring PocketMac as its "official" Mac sync software. It's OK for data synchronization and some app installations, but doesn't do OS upgrades.

In my opinion, RIM partnered with the wrong company for Mac software. Mark/space's Missing Sync is said to be better than PocketMac (haven't tried it myself), and I believe I have read that it will install OS upgrades.

I love my BlackBerry, but I've about had it with RIM not realizing that other operating systems than Windows exist. I'm about ready to throw it away and get an iPhone.
    02-17-09 12:06 AM
    My guess is that you will never be able to upgrade BlackBerry OSs on a Mac. Why? Two reasons:
    - OTA upgrades are the way forward and this method will be how we (mostly) get our upgrades in the future
    - To bring out every single OS upgrade on both PC and Linux (Mac) would be a huge undertaking for RIM and I doubt they have the resources to do it. Since most Macs can also run Windows, I would think that this would be the preferred manner to do this.

Thanks Pete6 for the info. Many of us were tantalized with the statement that something in the was of a Mac DM was coming our way the first half of 2009. The OTA upgrades, of course,do not help for those who want to venture into leaked OSs.
    02-17-09 08:24 AM
    so whats the best method for installing a leaked os onto the storm if youre a mac user?

simply to run the windows programs and do it the standard way?
    02-21-09 04:28 PM
    When I tried to upgrade my phone using the blackberry software in windows running parallels it fried my phone... is this not the norm?
    02-22-09 10:18 PM
    When I tried to upgrade my phone using the blackberry software in windows running parallels it fried my phone... is this not the norm?
    it's the norm for parallels, not Fuzion.. I got thru so many upgrades... not even funny...
    02-22-09 10:32 PM
    I was seriously mad when I found out that the DM only worked w/ Windows, and my wife and I are Mac people and will not be running Windows on our Macs. My solution is to go to one of my many pc using friends house and download what I need. Its kind of a pain, but I don't want Windows and I love my BB. Sure the Iphone is cool, but I am getting a Ipod touch soon and I really dont want my phone to be the device that I have my whole music library saved....Long story short I love my Storm and my Mac and will just keep using both even if they don't work well together.
    02-22-09 10:42 PM
    I was seriously mad when I found out that the DM only worked w/ Windows, and my wife and I are Mac people and will not be running Windows on our Macs. My solution is to go to one of my many pc using friends house and download what I need. Its kind of a pain, but I don't want Windows and I love my BB. Sure the Iphone is cool, but I am getting a Ipod touch soon and I really dont want my phone to be the device that I have my whole music library saved....Long story short I love my Storm and my Mac and will just keep using both even if they don't work well together.
    I'd get a iPhone and jailbreak it in a HEARTBEAT if I had ANY ATT signal around here... No signal and no 3G so.. Storm won....
    02-22-09 10:48 PM
    Well we also have Verizon so that helped make my decision, but I still want my phone and ipod to be separate...don't know why but I do.
    Last edited by Rocky1207; 02-22-09 at 11:45 PM.
    02-22-09 10:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD