Has any body successfully upgraded their OS using the Mac Desktop Manager? I'm a little wary of doing this, so would appreciate hearing some success or otherwise stories.
    11-04-09 04:53 PM
    Has any body successfully upgraded their OS using the Mac Desktop Manager? I'm a little wary of doing this, so would appreciate hearing some success or otherwise stories.
    I have John, it worked w/o a hitch - just took sometime to load all the files. But then again, I did do it the day of OS5 launch.

Whats up? Can I help?

FYI
    iMac (Intel Core Duo)
    OSX 10.5.8

BBDM 1.0.1
    11-04-09 05:05 PM
    Wood, would you post how you went about it? I followed the video that's floating around on here somewhere and got a 507 error on my Curve, which took a bit to fix. Not sure what I did wrong.
    11-04-09 09:39 PM
    I also would like to know how to update using mac!
    11-05-09 12:43 AM
    I used a MAC to upgrade both my Storm and my wifes Curve, both successfully upgraded but both wound up with errors as well. So I too need to know how to fix this.
    11-05-09 05:08 AM
    Do I smell a Sticky addressing this issue? Anyone? C'mon
    11-05-09 05:21 AM
    did any of you read this thread
    11-05-09 09:59 AM
    Wood, would you post how you went about it? I followed the video that's floating around on here somewhere and got a 507 error on my Curve, which took a bit to fix. Not sure what I did wrong.
    Unfortunately it just went smoothly, so I never gave it a thought to write down the steps as they happened. After the update and a visit to the forums I discovered that there were all kinds of issues.

Basically my phone had the previous version of the OS. My Mac had BBDM 1.0.1 that I had used previously on my BB8830 without a hitch. So when I got my Storm, I simply plugged it in and did a "backup"

Because I had used BBDM with my 8830 previously, I had the ability to "select" which BB to work with, so I selected the Storm.

Next I started the OS5 upgrade and had to wait awhile for it to complete. I left the computer alone, no windowing out to launch a web browser etc etc

It took some time; in fact, the number of files it needed to push increased as the upgrade progressed. Maybe I was just lucky that nothing "hiccuped" during my install - not really sure.

I feel bad that I didn't take note to any oddities with my upgrade, but then again, luckily for me, it went smoothly.
    11-05-09 10:21 AM
    Statman, not that post specifically, but I found one with a video telling me to do the same thing. I don't know what went wrong. The only differences from my situation vs the video were as follows:
    a) Not only is there a Java file, but there is a CDMA file in the download folder for os 5.0. Is there a point to the file in that folder? (I'm on Verizon with an 8330)
    b) There were two "letter and number" folders inside my device application folder, however one seemed to just be comprised of Docs to Go stuff. I copied the files into the other one. Correct?
    c) I've heard a lot about a vendor.xml file, but for the life of me I can't find one. I'm not sure if I need to, just an observation.

I hope that helps someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!
    11-05-09 11:06 AM
    Statman, not that post specifically, but I found one with a video telling me to do the same thing. I don't know what went wrong. The only differences from my situation vs the video were as follows:
    a) Not only is there a Java file, but there is a CDMA file in the download folder for os 5.0. Is there a point to the file in that folder? (I'm on Verizon with an 8330)
    b) There were two "letter and number" folders inside my device application folder, however one seemed to just be comprised of Docs to Go stuff. I copied the files into the other one. Correct?
    c) I've heard a lot about a vendor.xml file, but for the life of me I can't find one. I'm not sure if I need to, just an observation.

I hope that helps someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!
    Did you ever figure out how to fix this?
    the same thing happened to me
    11-15-09 12:43 PM
    ok.. i understand how to upgrade to the new os. but what i dont know is where do i find a os download for a mac and for my tour that is on verizon? plz help?
    I don't totally get it and it's sort of frustrating to me. I'm using a Tour, OS 4.7.1.40 through Verizon. I use a mac as well. I'm not used to having this much trouble figuring stuff out, I've upgraded, unlocked, jailbroken any number of other devices. If someone has five minutes could they run through instructions on how exactly one can upgrade a Tour, using a Mac, with Verizon as the carrier to the most current Blackberry Operating System, 5.0.

If I need to install a different OS before making the leap to 5.0 I can do that. I'm just trying to figure out the proper order of things and how best to get it loaded on.

Thanks to anyone who wants to take this on.
    Last edited by bluematt; 11-15-09 at 03:01 PM.
    11-15-09 02:58 PM
    B_H: No I never did figure this out, I havent tried since bricking my phone because I dont wanna have to keep fixing ****. If anyone still has any idea whats going on though I'd love to hear it
    11-18-09 01:41 AM
    Best way to install an os on a mac: boot camp!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 09:09 AM
    I'd say don't. My Tour bricked. Fixed on a PC.
    11-20-09 10:41 AM
    Haven't tried....used my PC instead as well. Will test it using my sister's Tour...LOL!
    11-20-09 01:34 PM
    my recent sync to my mac plus an os update went well.

it was on my bold. didn't upgrade to 5.0...but my 4.6.0.282 -->.303 went well
    11-24-09 11:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD