07-30-09 10:00 AM
31 12
tools
    How to do it with mac??
    06-18-09 06:15 AM
    Run boot camp- split your drive- install windows- start up Windows- update BB.

Anything else will make you want to rip your eyes out in frustration. **** PocketMac. It doesn't work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 07:45 AM
    is the only wayyy!!????
    06-18-09 03:36 PM
    No.

I run Parallels and have an XP install.
    No issues at all. Have upgraded the OS on multiple Storms.
    06-18-09 07:13 PM
    Just use bootcamp... it's the easiest option...
    06-18-09 08:20 PM
    How much memory does bootcamp take up though?

06-18-09 10:42 PM
    How much memory does bootcamp take up though?

How ever big XP is...
    I allowed 20 gig cause I HAVE to work in XP on fire assignments.. I think you can do 8...
    06-19-09 01:09 PM
    How do I get xp tho? Do I need to pay for it?

06-19-09 01:28 PM
    Just buy the xp OS, you should be able to get it for cheap on craigslist or ebay.

06-19-09 07:32 PM
    You need to buy a copy of XP. You might try the local computer shop for an OEM version that should be sold with hardware.

It doesn't take up much HDD space. My XP Bootcamp only takes up 12GB and I have MS Office and the Adobe Creative Suite in there. For fellow Bootcampers look at Winclone that creates a backup and compresses it half the size. It restores Bootcamp without the need to activate all your licenses.

-- Robert.
    06-19-09 07:38 PM
    you have to be joking. this is the ONLY way? wow, hahaha screw that
    06-23-09 10:40 AM
    you have to be joking. this is the ONLY way? wow, hahaha screw that
    The ONLY way is XP on your machine.. how ever you want to do it...
    06-23-09 06:57 PM
    Find a friend with a windows machine...or buy a cheap laptop. No windows OS is getting anywhere near my iMac.
    06-23-09 11:26 PM
    Setup Windows with a program like VMWare Fusion and disable all file sharing between your virtual machine and Mac OS and that will do a good job of protecting all of the stuff on your Mac. It's really easy to set up and saves from having to buy another cheap computer or whatever and you only have to load it up when you need to change stuff on your BlackBerry.
    06-24-09 12:21 AM
    No windows OS is getting anywhere near my iMac.

Yeah, because having a completely different partition running a completely different OS is going to cause ALL KINDS of problems on your Mac. I absolutely love my Macs, but I sure hate the Cult of Apple mentality that 90% of Mac users have. As an IT guy who supports Mac, the Apple elitist attitude is every bit as annoying and counter-productive as the Windows fanboys who pass every Mac-related issue to me because they hate Apple.

Your precious iMac was built completely able to run whatever OS you want it to run, so more power to you, but that mentality is so passe. I may run multiple imperfect OSes instead of just one, but my computer does more than yours does, and more than the Windows machines the dorks I work with use. All because I'm not busy ruling something out because it wasn't made by <insert major platform corporation here>. And laugh at me all you want... but I can update the OS on my BB whenever I want to.
    06-24-09 04:58 AM
    You are probably right. I have had too many problems with windows based computers to take the chance. I finally have a stable and reliable machine and intend to keep it that way. I admit it definitely has it's weaknesses too. It's not elitist or fanboy mentality because I would feel the same way if it was any OS but it just happens to be Apple in this case. I just don't see the need to open it up to chance.
    06-26-09 08:51 AM
    You need to chill!!!
    07-08-09 04:05 PM
    Run boot camp- split your drive- install windows- start up Windows- update BB.

Anything else will make you want to rip your eyes out in frustration. **** PocketMac. It doesn't work.

is the only wayyy!!????
    Yup. thats what i did. I installed Windows via BootCamp on another iMac just to update my BB OS.

I see no other way unless RIM do something about it.
    07-09-09 09:17 PM
    I finally have a stable and reliable machine and intend to keep it that way.
    That's totally fair. I too subscribe to the 'if-it-ain't-broke' school of thought, but to me a computer that can't help me update my BlackBerry's OS really IS broke! Seriously though, Windows is more prone to malware infection if you're not careful, but that's only IF you're putting it online. If you're only using the Mac side of things for networking, and the Windows OS is just there for Windows-only apps, there's no chance of Windows messing up your Mac. In fact, without 3rd-party software, the partition running OS X won't even be recognized by windows, so nothing done within Windows can affect files on your system drive.

Parallels keeps things nicely contained too, and gives you options for whether or not you want to share the Mac network connections with Windows, but Parallels DOES go on your system drive. I still wouldn't call it particularly risky though. My Mac is the best Windows machine I've ever had, and used to be the best Linux box I'd ever played with too! I've kept both OS X and XP running flawlessly on this one for nearly 3 years (man, I can't believe it's been that long)!

And after that long-winded and partially-unrelated tangent, I think it's pure madness that RIM can't get their heads around a Mac-compatible version of/substitute for Desktop Manager. There are a lot of Mac users on BlackBerries. Neither is new and there needs to be a solution.
    07-10-09 05:24 AM
    I was told by support that any OS updates are done over the air and you get a notification when there is a new one
    07-16-09 12:32 PM
    That is only true of updates from your carrier. Many of us run OSes that are newer than what our carrier offers.

The big issue is backing up and restoring your device.

07-16-09 03:56 PM
    It's sad RIM doesn't provide its users...even Mac users with the tools they need, as soon as i can upgrade my phone the iPhone might be in my pocket instead of my Bold
    07-17-09 05:30 PM
    I like my Tour but the screen is WAY too small....so as soon as Verizon gets the iPhone, so do I
    07-17-09 07:01 PM
    You know...you would think that since Apple is one of the most talked about companies in tech today (OSX and iPhone), that a company like RIM would fully support a version of desktop software for OSX.

I think that is one of the reason I keep coming back to windows...we're damn-near forced to use it.
    07-17-09 07:23 PM
    Has anyone had issues with syncing to both halves of the parition i.e. Using media sync on the Mac side (everything syncs ota on my curve) and uding bootcamp to do os updates?

07-22-09 12:29 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD