02-26-09 01:15 AM
31 12
tools
    I'm currently using the Bold alongside my iBook G4 and I got ridiculously confused attempting to update my OS (partially because I am new to the BB community).
    Any help would be appreciated. The simpler, the better--I do work on a Mac after all.
    01-16-09 09:45 PM
    Install xp... Only way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 11:27 PM
    Yep only way is to use windows
    01-16-09 11:52 PM
    I'm currently using the Bold alongside my iBook G4 and I got ridiculously confused attempting to update my OS (partially because I am new to the BB community).
    Any help would be appreciated. The simpler, the better--I do work on a Mac after all.
    Do you have "Wireless Upgrade" under Options - Advanced on your phone?
    01-17-09 08:11 AM
    No...

(gahhhh)
    01-20-09 11:20 AM
    Do you have "Wireless Upgrade" under Options - Advanced on your phone?
    That only does "official" upgrades...

iThink he's looking to do some "beta" upgrades?

Right?
    01-20-09 01:08 PM
    If by he you mean she?

...umm I have no clue. What's the difference between an "official" upgrade and a "beta" upgrade.

I just want to do a "normal" upgrade...gahh.
    01-20-09 05:16 PM
    1). The Mac cannot upgrade a BlackBerry and probably never will be able to. Get to a PC.

2). The difference between a beta and official (read, your carrier released) OS is that on some phones, the Bold is one, you can upgrade wirelessly but only for carrier released OSs. If your phone will not upgrade wirelessly then you have the latest current OS from your carrier already on your phone.

3). beta OSs are often more "fun" as they contain the latest fixes and updates that RIM (who make BlackBerrys) are testing.

Lastly, why do you wish to upgrade? Are you having problems or is there a problem you wish to resovle. If you are doing this just to see how much fun it is to do, then my honest advise would be leave it alone for a while until you are a bit more familiar with the phone and you have gotten to a PC. Meanwhile, read, absorb and ask.
    01-20-09 05:29 PM
    Not getting a pc...especially since all I'd need it for is doing an update on my phone.

I just wanted to upgrade so my phone is up to date. That's it.
    I guess I'll just have to take over a friend's pc and do it accordingly.

uhh...thanks for your help...
    01-20-09 05:38 PM
    If by he you mean she?

...umm I have no clue. What's the difference between an "official" upgrade and a "beta" upgrade.

I just want to do a "normal" upgrade...gahh.
    sorry Michelle....
    and looks like your question was answered...
    01-20-09 05:42 PM
    I'm just amazed nobody has come up with a solution to counter this...
    01-22-09 12:08 AM
    VMwarefusion + XP = DM on a mac
    Best solution I have found so far
    01-22-09 11:13 AM
    VMware Fusion requires an Intel Mac, she has a G4.
    01-22-09 11:32 AM
    Damn Power PC...
    So many things I can't do...
    01-22-09 10:35 PM
    Damn Power PC...
    So many things I can't do...
    I don't know, I'm still pretty fond of the G4s and G5s. This is more RIM's problem anyway, for not providing the means of upgrading the phone with a mac.

You could always get Virtual PC, but it's rather slow, and probably not worth it if you're only doing this to upgrade your phone.
    01-23-09 07:23 AM
    I don't know, I'm still pretty fond of the G4s and G5s. This is more RIM's problem anyway, for not providing the means of upgrading the phone with a mac.

You could always get Virtual PC, but it's rather slow, and probably not worth it if you're only doing this to upgrade your phone.
    Well, don't get me wrong I love my G4 I just have several limitations (all minor of course). Just stupid things like currently I can't update Word to open docx files because the addon doesn't work on PPCs.
    01-23-09 03:53 PM
    I have a Curve 8310 with OS 4.2.2.170 (on AT&T). I want to upgrade so that I can install Slacker radio. (Tried, the Slacker site says I need to upgrade.) Would any upgrade be considered "beta" or is there one or more "official" upgrade available? And if there's an "official" one available, would they be able to upgrade it for me at the AT&T store?

If not, I have a question about this:
    I notice that VMware has a 30 day trial of Fusion. Could I get the 30 day trial and upgrade my BB OS without having to pay for the full version of Fusion -- or does the trial version not allow all functionality? (If I do have to buy it, how much is it? And if I'm going to spend money anyway, essentially just to get Slacker radio, is there another PAID radio app that would be a better bet, rather than going through all of this?)
    01-29-09 08:18 AM
    not true, vmware will run on a G4, 2.0 might not but the older version will.

and for the CHEAP way, vmware + win7beta + desktop manager, that way you're only paying for one thing
    01-29-09 01:41 PM
    not true, vmware will run on a G4, 2.0 might not but the older version will.

and for the CHEAP way, vmware + win7beta + desktop manager, that way you're only paying for one thing
    That's the best solution. Slow, tedious, painful(installation only), but will definitely work.
    01-29-09 06:42 PM
    I don't know how well the win7 beta runs on PPC hardware, but, I know that it runs as if it were native on my 2.2ghz Macbook Pro......
    01-29-09 07:54 PM
    ^^ Same here. Runs fine on my Unibody MBP.
    01-29-09 08:20 PM
    I'm actually fairly impressed with Win7......stability of xp/2k with the graphic "prettyness" of vista....and DX10
    01-29-09 10:55 PM
    ^^ Dare I say, I really like it
    01-30-09 12:25 AM
    eh, I won't go that far, nothing with the micro$haft logo on it will ever get my seal of approval
    01-30-09 01:38 AM
    RIM hates Apple. (because iPhone is crushing their sales. LOL)
    01-30-09 01:44 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD