Anyone had success trying to update a 9930 Bold on Verizon from stock to later leaked version? I'm trying on Parallels with windows home xp but it keeps hanging. Do I need to buy windows 7 for parallels or use boot camp?
    05-19-12 11:19 AM
    ive helped people use crossover and never had an issue

just borrow a friends PC
    05-19-12 12:19 PM
    If you're having troubles with virtualisation, use boot camp instead. I used to use vmware with win xp with no issues for my 9000, 9900, 9810, and 9360. It decided to stop working for my 9700. Something to do with USB controllers on virtualisation software that causes the phone to be stuck at "uploading RAM image".

I have since switch to boot camp (sort of) to run my win xp without any issues. Though if you want to do boot camp on lion 10.7, it has to be windows 7. if you're on 10.6, you're in luck. just boot camp your win xp.
    MrVeda likes this.
    05-19-12 04:23 PM
    BootCamp is the way to go. Most of my updates are done on Win7 in BootCamp as we do not have a PC in the house. Works just fine.
    MrVeda likes this.
    05-19-12 07:08 PM
    I used to use vmware with win xp with no issues for my 9000, 9900, 9810, and 9360. It decided to stop working for my 9700. Something to do with USB controllers on virtualisation software that causes the phone to be stuck at "uploading RAM image".
    I have had that problem occasionally. I think it is mainly with the 9800. The solution is just to pay attention and after the OS install and the the start of the reboot, the phone should show up in the little control panel in the bottom of the vmware window as a usb device. If it doesn't reconnect, just click this usb icon that was previously dark black when the phone was connected and select connect Rim Composite device. It will then connect and the rest of the OS load will complete.

I am not sure if I have had the problem with my OS7 devices. Just my 9000 and 9800.
    05-23-12 01:56 PM
    You can install Desktop Manager on your mac and open it. Insert the device and pull the battery while connecting. The handset will red light and when that happens, A warning would appear saying the handset either has a dead battery or is rebooting and gives you the option to repair, then select the OS you desire. Hit repair and while the OS packages are downloading, re-insert the battery. The phone would display an app error as it finishes each phase (installing applications, connecting to JVM etc) and when the bar has reached the end and is waiting for device initialization, when the handset powers on, the OS should be upgraded.
    06-14-12 12:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD