Did a search for this but honestly, nothing came up...

Anywho, i am able to tether my 9800 to my Macbook Pro (OSx 10.6.6) via bluetooth; but i'm having trouble tethering with the usb cable.

I'm on rogers...the settings i'm using are:

Vendor: Research in Motion
    Model: Blackberry IP Modem (GSM)
    Apn: internet.com
    CID: 1
    DNS: 207.181.101.4 & 207.181.101.5

Phone number: *blank*
    Account Name: wapuser1
    Password: wap

I see the 9800 as a connected device in the "Network" settings in "system preferences".

Am I missing a specific setting or something?

Reason why i'm asking to tether off usb is because bluetooth kills my battery life: both on the laptop AND phone.

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

[edit]:

GOT IT TO WORK...randomly decided to start working! lol
    Last edited by BBMarco01; 03-12-11 at 01:15 AM.
    03-10-11 12:00 AM
    Who is your provider? Have you tethered successfully via bluetooth?

I'm on AT&T and here are the setting that work for that.

Configuration: default
    Telephone number: leave blank
    Account Name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1

Click on Advanced >Modem
    APN: wap.cingular CID: 1 Vendor: Research in Motion Model: Blackberry IP Modem GSM
    03-10-11 11:41 AM
    Who is your provider? Have you tethered successfully via bluetooth?

I'm on AT&T and here are the setting that work for that.

Configuration: default
    Telephone number: leave blank
    Account Name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1

Click on Advanced >Modem
    APN: wap.cingular CID: 1 Vendor: Research in Motion Model: Blackberry IP Modem GSM
    I'm on Rogers, in Canada.

I will have to try those settings when I get home today
    03-10-11 02:02 PM
    Tether app is the way to go! No charges when browsing, fast, reliable. Recommended!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-11 05:46 PM
    Your settings I believe are correct. Im not with Rogers, dont even bother using the at&t ones. Those wont work.

Under the telephone number, what do you have? It should be something like *99#
    03-10-11 06:24 PM
    Tether app is the way to go! No charges when browsing, fast, reliable. Recommended!!

Canadian providers dont really charge extra for tethering. Most of the data packages have it included. So no need for extra $50 apps.
    03-10-11 06:25 PM
    Cazurela: I'm looking for a free alternative...lol

Jasonvw: I have nothing inputed into the phone number field.

And yes, most Canadian providers do not charge for tethering if you have a data plan larger than say 1gb...I have a 6gb plan cuz my brother has the exact same plan for his iPhone.

03-10-11 06:50 PM
    Cazurela: I'm looking for a free alternative...lol

Jasonvw: I have nothing inputed into the phone number field.

And yes, most Canadian providers do not charge for tethering if you have a data plan larger than say 1gb...I have a 6gb plan cuz my brother has the exact same plan for his iPhone.

You need to have something in the number field. Try *99# its pretty standard. Or try *99***1# or even internet.com
    03-10-11 09:14 PM
    You need to have something in the number field. Try *99# its pretty standard. Or try *99***1# or even internet.com
    I tried all those in the telephone field.

No such luck

Do I need to add and DNS Server addresses? I know I had to when using bluetooth

03-11-11 02:21 AM
    Yeah you don't need to have a phone number. If you needed a DNS for bluetooth, you would need it for USB. The DNS numbers I have listed for Rogers are: 207.181.101.4 and 207.181.101.5
    03-11-11 10:49 AM
    I tried all those in the telephone field.

No such luck

Do I need to add and DNS Server addresses? I know I had to when using bluetooth

Hrmmm. I would ask in the Mac Users section. The settings wouldnt be just for the 9800. Im sure someone there has the settings needed for Rogers.
    03-11-11 03:25 PM
    Yeah you don't need to have a phone number. If you needed a DNS for bluetooth, you would need it for USB. The DNS numbers I have listed for Rogers are: 207.181.101.4 and 207.181.101.5
    Yup...those are the dns numbers I used in my bluetooth settings.

I will check with the Mac user section...thanks guys!

03-11-11 07:03 PM
    Yup...those are the dns numbers I used in my bluetooth settings.

I will check with the Mac user section...thanks guys!

Okay, I also use a Mac and I decided to try to connect as you are. I usually use Bluetooth but made a new connection using USB, that is how I am logged in right now.

I plugged the phone in to the USB port, went to system settings, network, and clicked the add symbol. The Mac detected the phone. I then used the same settings I used for bluetooth, applied the settings and connected. When you click on the DUN connection symbol it should give you two options now, one for bluetooth DUN and one "Blackberry-(your pin here.)
    03-11-11 08:17 PM
    Okay, I also use a Mac and I decided to try to connect as you are. I usually use Bluetooth but made a new connection using USB, that is how I am logged in right now.

I plugged the phone in to the USB port, went to system settings, network, and clicked the add symbol. The Mac detected the phone. I then used the same settings I used for bluetooth, applied the settings and connected. When you click on the DUN connection symbol it should give you two options now, one for bluetooth DUN and one "Blackberry-(your pin here.)
    For some ODD reason...it's connected now!! LOL

Left the phone number field blank, didn't change any other settings.
    Although, this time, when I went to click "connect"...computer asked me for my phone's password,entered it...then BAM, connected =)

Thanks for the help! Appreciate it!

Now i can use bluetooth to tether...but will kill my laptop & phone's battery....but then the usb tethering will charge my phone! LOL...WIN WIN
    03-11-11 08:46 PM
    For some ODD reason...it's connected now!! LOL

Left the phone number field blank, didn't change any other settings.
    Although, this time, when I went to click "connect"...computer asked me for my phone's password,entered it...then BAM, connected =)

Thanks for the help! Appreciate it!

Now i can use bluetooth to tether...but will kill my laptop & phone's battery....but then the usb tethering will charge my phone! LOL...WIN WIN
    Glad to here it's working. I have been pleased with how easy the Mac is to set this type of thing up. I had no issues setting up my Windows Machine but the Mac is just a lot smoother.

For those playing at home, there is no need for a $50 app on Mac or Windows. An app for tethering is a waste of money. And no, it does nothing more than setting up a connection as outlined here does to alleviate the tethering charges.
    Last edited by PHughes; 03-11-11 at 10:54 PM. Reason: spelling
    03-11-11 10:26 PM
    Glad to here it's working. I have been pleased with how easy the Mac is to set this type of thing up. I had no issues setting up my Windows Machine but the Mac is just a lot smoother.

For those playing at home, there is no need for a $50 app on Mac or Windows. An app for tethering is a waste of money. And no, it does nothing more than setting up a connection as outlined here does to alleviate the tethering charges.
    Agreed with that statement! Even if it IS on sale...why pay for it when this is FREE?!

Also, setting up on mac was much smoother and simpler. I set up tethering for my brother on his windows laptop...so frustrating, lol
    03-12-11 12:44 AM
    Agreed with that statement! Even if it IS on sale...why pay for it when this is FREE?!

Also, setting up on mac was much smoother and simpler. I set up tethering for my brother on his windows laptop...so frustrating, lol
    Yeah its fairly simple to setup on mac. Its way easier on windows though since its built right into desktop manager. Just choose connect to internet or something like that.

Glad to hear its working for you. I prefer usb tethering, uses less battery and the connection seems to be a lot faster.
    03-12-11 08:51 AM
    Yeah its fairly simple to setup on mac. Its way easier on windows though since its built right into desktop manager. Just choose connect to internet or something like that.

Glad to hear its working for you. I prefer usb tethering, uses less battery and the connection seems to be a lot faster.
    I never used the Desktop Manager for tethering on Windows. There is no need for that either. It really isn't difficult on the Mac or Windows.
    03-12-11 11:11 AM
    Have asked on another thread. Have the same situation. How can I find info for tethering using Orange UK? Can't seem to find any material on the net

Thanks
    03-12-11 01:28 PM
    Have asked on another thread. Have the same situation. How can I find info for tethering using Orange UK? Can't seem to find any material on the net

Thanks
    Check on a thread started by me saying I successfully tethered through bluetooth. It's probably on page 2 or something now...

There's a link to a PDF file that lists all carries in all countries and their settings.

Lemme know if u need further help
    GoodLuck

03-12-11 03:32 PM
    Hey brill thanks: have printed that off. Has the Orange info I need.

Will check that it works for USB as well as Bluetooth!

:-)
    03-12-11 06:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD