So yesterday I went and did something crazy and forked out a wad of cash for a MacBook Pro 13in. I have a few questions, being from the Windows world for... forever.

1) What browser do you guys prefer? I'm using FF because it's what I used on Windows and I like it and it seems to render pages more correctly than Safari (at least the BB Desktop Manager page from RIM which was completely screwed on Safari).

2) Bittorrent clients? I'm using uTorrent for similar reasons. I tried qBitTorrent first which I was using on my Win machine because of a bug in uTorrent which caused my downloads to slow to 10Kbps (disk overloaded error) but it kept crashing on me :s

3) Anti-virus... wtf... You guys may tell me I don't need one? But if I wanted one (which I certainly do) which should I use?

4) Do you guys dual boot?

5) I still hate iPhones (Okay that's just a comment. I still feel a little dirty for owning a MacBook. I got it solely for the build quality really and the novelty value - learning something new)

Any assistance my BB bros and sisters could provide would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott
    02-29-12 10:17 PM
    Welcome to Apple!

1) Firefox is more compliant with web standards and some sites get mashed on Safari.

2) Sorry I don't need or use torrent apps.

3) On OS X you don't need antivirus. AV slows down the computer and is downright annoying! This year my home has become Windows free and I'm happy not to be updating the virus defs and Windows updates on the PCs. If you use VM Ware or similar then antivirus would be recommended and for that Symantec is the go.

4) Yes I use Bootcamp with XP mostly for BlackBerry Desktop Manager to shrink the OS and install hybrids. In Bootcamp I have Symantec AV installed.

5) To each their own. I really like the iPhone design and iOS but for business use BlackBerry is more efficient.
    Last edited by rob7100g; 03-01-12 at 10:08 PM. Reason: grammar
    03-01-12 10:05 PM
    How do you install Bootcamp with XP? I keep a PC around reluctantly for installing Hybrids and Quickbooks.

Welcome to Apple!

1) Firefox is more compliant with web standards and some sites get mashed on Safari.

2) Sorry I don't need or use torrent apps.

3) On OS X you don't need antivirus. AV slows down the computer and is downright annoying! This year my home has become Windows free and I'm happy not to be updating the virus defs and Windows updates on the PCs. If you use VM Ware or similar then antivirus would be recommended and for that Symantec is the go.

4) Yes I use Bootcamp with XP mostly for BlackBerry Desktop Manager to shrink the OS and install hybrids. In Bootcamp I have Symantec AV installed.

5) To each their own. I really like the iPhone design and iOS but for business use BlackBerry is more efficient.
    03-01-12 10:49 PM
    I just went through the installer in Utilities and installed XP suing the Windows XP install disc. For QuickBooks I use CrossOver with no problems.

FWIW Lion only installs Bootcamp with Windows 7. I installed XP back in OS X 10.5 Leopard days - then just upgraded the Mac OS as I went along, leaving the Bootcamp partition as it is. If you're on Leopard there's a free Bootcamp back up app called Winclone but it stopped working in Snow Leopard.
    03-02-12 06:56 AM
    Welcome! About the only good advice I can give you, is that I use Vuze for a bit torrent app.
    03-03-12 09:08 PM
    Browsers? I use Chrome/Safari. [I like to use gestures within Safari]
    Torrent client? uTorrent is the best for me.
    Antivirus? You're on Mac OS X now, no need for this.
    I usually don't dual boot, but use emulation software "parallels desktop" as I need Visual Studio which runs only on Windows.
    03-09-12 08:00 AM
    Chrome - Firefox is a pig on ram
    Torrent : Transmission (Great light weight porgram - Plus I found the mac utorrent crap)
    Antivirus : Windows only (My boot camp has advast free)
    Dual boot yes, Windows 7 for some games I play.

In the Apple Mac os APP store get free memorie its a free app that will let you see how much free ram you have left. great little app, and it has an angrithum to free some aswell.
    Also check out Istatmenu 3 it adds litle cpu usage bars on the system menu bar.
    Might need to pay for it though, I forgot where I got it.
    03-30-12 06:33 AM
    So yesterday I went and did something crazy and forked out a wad of cash for a MacBook Pro 13in. I have a few questions, being from the Windows world for... forever.

1) What browser do you guys prefer? I'm using FF because it's what I used on Windows and I like it and it seems to render pages more correctly than Safari (at least the BB Desktop Manager page from RIM which was completely screwed on Safari).

2) Bittorrent clients? I'm using uTorrent for similar reasons. I tried qBitTorrent first which I was using on my Win machine because of a bug in uTorrent which caused my downloads to slow to 10Kbps (disk overloaded error) but it kept crashing on me :s

3) Anti-virus... wtf... You guys may tell me I don't need one? But if I wanted one (which I certainly do) which should I use?

4) Do you guys dual boot?

5) I still hate iPhones (Okay that's just a comment. I still feel a little dirty for owning a MacBook. I got it solely for the build quality really and the novelty value - learning something new)

Any assistance my BB bros and sisters could provide would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott
    1) Chrome. I used to use safari since i prefer native, but it has just gotten really disappointing. Slows to startup, slow at loading. Chrome better HTML5 support too.

2) Been using Transmission for years. Small in footprint. reliable enough.

3) Been using mac for years, never needed anti-virus. Not that there aren't any mac virus, there are just quite rare. and Apple issues security updates every now and then.

4) I'm using vmware to boot into XP. Mainly to load in leaked BBOS and sideload things into playbook. Unusually, Windows seems to boot faster on a mac than on a PC.

5) iPhone is a great device. Once you start using a mac, you'll see how seamlessly it is to sync something on your mac into a iphone, or ipod. itunes, iphoto, address book, ical...etc. Its a convenience that i do miss as syncing my BB to my mac is somewhat slower and sometimes the album art gets screwed up.

Enjoy your new mac. Used to sell Apple products in an Authorised Retailer and i've rarely seen unhappy customers. Most are pretty satisfied with jumping over. In my opinion, it is a superior computing platform. In the typical Apple way, there is a lot less things to worry about on a mac.

As mentioned above, do check out Mac App Store. You would probably be able to find some good software you need there. Like video players for example, i used to use VLC but after installing "MPlayerX", i've rarely use VLC. It plays alot of different formats as well.
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 03-31-12 at 04:18 AM.
    03-31-12 04:14 AM
    Yay! You have the same Macbook as I do.
    For a Browser, I use Camino, because I don't do much other than surf the net. It's better on YouTube videos than Safari, but that could be just me. I do, just in case, have an anti-virus program, called Sophos. It really isn't bothersome at all, it does its updates and minds its own business, doesn't get all up in your stuff about what programs you run, etc. As far as dual booting, it can be done like said above but I'm not much for it, I have a Windows laptop and a Mac, so I try to keep both of them separate, also my Mac only has 60 GB HDD, so not sure if it would be stable with it. Not sure how much yours runs on. But those are the applicable questions I could answer. I figured I would add mine to the mix (been using Macs all the way through school from elementary on up )
    05-24-12 06:15 PM
    5) iPhone is a great device. Once you start using a mac, you'll see how seamlessly it is to sync something on your mac into a iphone, or ipod. itunes, iphoto, address book, ical...etc. Its a convenience that i do miss as syncing my BB to my mac is somewhat slower and sometimes the album art gets screwed up.
    I second that. When I brought my Macbook into the house after I had it shipped to me, my iPod touch found it right away and it was like "Hey Buddy " Whereas the Windows computer didn't really go as smoothly. It's like with our Sony TV, it actually created an Input value for our Playstation 3 awhile back (moral: Similar brand items match up quick)
    05-24-12 06:19 PM
    !) I use Firefox, but it is just a matter of personal preference, Safari, Chrome, etc, work fine. I use all sorts of devices and OSs, so I like to use cross-platform software when possible.

2) I don't use bittorrent a lot, hut when I do, I use FolX, which is a download manager, it has a torrent search feature. Frankly, I would trust others' opinions on this a lot more than mine.

3)Don't run an antivirus (unless you are running Windows on your Mac, and then use whichever one you prefer, I use Microsoft Security Essentials). On OS X, the malware that exists are phishing scams or trojans rather than viruses, software won't help, it will hurt performance, and it would be more likely to introduce a problem than solve one. If you must. run ClamXAV, which is free, every few months for laughs.

4) I wouldn't dual boot unless you are a hardcore gamer looking for high frame rates. For most people looking to run Windows software, virtualization will do just fine, and is more flexible (you can run Windows apps from your dock, cut and past between OSs, etc. Both VMWare Fusion and Parallels are excellent. I use VMWare, again because it is more cross-platform. If you want a totally free option, Virtual Box is good virtualization software, and you can download the current Windows 8 release from Microsoft. If I remember right, this can be used until early next year before you have to buy Win 8.

5) I have never owned an iPhone. I do have an iPod Touch and an iPad, though so I love iOS. I quite seriously think it is the most important computer advance in decades. A three year old or a technophobe grandparent can use an iPhone quite easily. Android/Windows/etc. have a LONG way to go to match that ease of use. Even on Win 8, which is a big usability improvement, it is still "click in the upper right hand corner, this will bring up the charms menu, then select...." etc. Still too hard.

It shouldn't be too long before the "why didn't I do this years ago?" reaction set it, and I say that as someone who uses Windows, Linux, Android, a PlayBook, etc. very often. When you get used to OS X, having to use Windows for an extended period of time feels like running in mud.

If you do nothing else, download SCOTutor for Mac from the Mac App Store, It is temporarily free during Mountain Lion's introduction, and Don McAllister does outstanding video tutorials for Mac and iOS. It is a great resource for a switcher. I have too few posts to post iinks, but search for it in the Mac App Store.
    Last edited by bdegrande; 07-29-12 at 05:01 PM.
    07-29-12 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD