Hi all, I'm currently a Windows user with a BB Curve 8310. I am thinking of purchasing a Mac Air for my home computer--switching from Windows Vista. However my work environment will still be Windows Xp.

I'm still unclear how my BB will sync between both work (windows xp) and home (OS X). I am aware of Parallels software so that I will be able to run Vista on the Mac but will I use Parallels to use vista and sync (which then all my contact data/calendar/tasks/notes will still be in Outlook on the Mac), or do I since with PocketMack or MissingSync on the Mac with iCal etc. How does that effect syncing at work on the windows xp environment?

Should I go for the Mac and learn a new systme or just stick with windows where I'm comfortable and know how things work?
    02-15-08 02:58 PM
    I'd recommend the macbook pro over the air for mostly its more ports and power.

But Mac os is far easier to use than windows. I use an iMac and I run windows XP sp 2 in dual boot for my blackberry and half life 2 needs with no problem. I've tried virtualization with vmware and it was great but my trial expired so I don't do that anymore. Just remember, if you're going to install windows on a Mac, you'll need a windows cd and not a boot disk to do so..

Pocketmac isn't too bad, but I've personally stopped using it mostly cause I input everthing manually anyway, but it works fairly well.. I have no quarrels with it.

Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-08 03:11 PM
    Thanks des. It does help. I was a little hesitant on the Mac Air because of the lack of ports but I think I should be fine for my use.

Question though....where are you storing your contacts, calendar, etc on your iMac? On the Mac side or WinXp side? If on the Mac side what software? Entourage? iCal? Thanks!

Last edited by jimmers; 02-15-08 at 03:34 PM.
    02-15-08 03:28 PM
    I use pocketmac to sync. You can setup what programs you want to go where for syncing. I have my contacts going to the address book and the calendar tasks going to ical(calendar) You will love Mac, I am a windows programmer/developer and i am getting ready to setup a dual boot on this macbook. The only thing I dont like is the lack of ability to tether as a modem.

Hunter
    02-15-08 08:03 PM
    I use the Mac side for most things, when using my desktop manager, that's on pc side. I use ical for contacts

I just not big on the air cause its hot not too many ports and tuned down power when compared to the other laptops, and I don't believe in giving up power and usability for .25 inches of space

But it is definetly a sexy computer and if you're just using it for wifi stuff and things that can't be done on a BB, email, music, photo, phone, etc, then its fine

GL with your choice

02-15-08 08:35 PM
    When I first decided to come from the Dark Side, I looked at the Mac Air. Not enough features for me. There isn't an onboard dvd/cd drive so to load programs you either do it OTA or if you have another Mac via BlueTooth.
    I ended up with a MacBook Pro. Love this thing. Still got a PC desk top, and once I figure this thing out and get windows and the programs I need loaded and working, I'll be looking for a Mac Pro.
    02-15-08 11:32 PM

I just not big on the air cause its hot not too many ports and tuned down power when compared to the other laptops, and I don't believe in giving up power and usability for .25 inches of space
    I haven't totally decided on the Air yet. I'm still considerig the MacBook Pro too.

Will I experience any problems/conflicts when syncing with the MAC at home and WinXP at work?

Also, does any one have experience with CrossOver Mac as compared to Parallels?

There are so many choices of different software to do such similar things that it is just really confusing me. Is Office 2008 worth purchasing or is the included software (iCal, Mail, Address book) enough? I'm just so use to Outlook on Windows systems that I have this mental block that I think I need to buy Office. LOL
    02-15-08 11:36 PM
    Well des you'll be glad to know that I decided on the MacBook Pro! Now I just got to get busy and train myself on it LOL
    02-16-08 09:48 PM
    Congrats and good luck!
    If you have an Apple Store near you, you can sign up for free workshops. I did a couple and they are big help. Plus they are so helpful with issues.
    Once you learn a few things, and try some of the apps, like iphoto, imovie, you will be wondering why you didn't switch to a Mac long before this!
    02-17-08 08:20 AM
    I use missing sync at home on my aging ibook and outlook at work. I have had no issues.

02-17-08 08:54 AM
    I use missing sync at home on my aging ibook and outlook at work. I have had no issues. ps I sync on both pcs

02-17-08 08:55 AM
    Thanks Member #1. I'm excited to start playing with it. The possibilities seem endless and since I also bought Parallels I've basically got the best of both worlds!

Yoyoboy I'm glad to here that you don't have any issues because I plan on using mine the same way

02-17-08 01:12 PM
    RIM are working on Desktop Manager for Mac. The only thing putting me off the MacBook Air is the price and then an extra 65 for an optical drive!

02-17-08 06:19 PM
    Well des you'll be glad to know that I decided on the MacBook Pro! Now I just got to get busy and train myself on it LOL
    congrats! if you ever have any questions, just holler, I was a Mac Creative at the Apple Store in Palisades Mall, NY for about a year and have some good experience with Macs, BB, Windows, etc etc.

But any downtime you should have is just learning simple differences between Windows and OS X, took me a week when I first got my Mac and you'll find, as I did, everythings just easier, quicker, safer on this side. :]

enjoy the Macbook Pro, I'm jealous

RIM are working on Desktop Manager for Mac. The only thing putting me off the MacBook Air is the price and then an extra 65 for an optical drive!

Yea thats the only thing that worries me too mostly, that and the slower processor and video (i'm a graphic designer) but then again, I use the optical drive on my iMac almost never. Especially since Warcraft 3 no longer requires a disk for gameplay. But I'm also a power user so I'd go Macbook Pro before an Air. But damn, that Air is sexy I'll tell you.

Congrats and good luck!
    If you have an Apple Store near you, you can sign up for free workshops. I did a couple and they are big help. Plus they are so helpful with issues.
    Once you learn a few things, and try some of the apps, like iphoto, imovie, you will be wondering why you didn't switch to a Mac long before this!
    Yea the free Mac workshops are amazing, or if youd like, shell out 99 bucks and you can get private 1 on 1 training once a week for a year on anything you want Mac related. For retail store locations and more info: Apple Retail Store

Just don't be afraid to explore the Mac, its far more mistake friendly and definetly more user friendsly than XP/vista :}
    Last edited by des; 02-17-08 at 06:43 PM. Reason: 2nd quote
    02-17-08 06:37 PM
    Hi all, I'm currently a Windows user with a BB Curve 8310. I am thinking of purchasing a Mac Air for my home computer--switching from Windows Vista. However my work environment will still be Windows Xp.

I'm still unclear how my BB will sync between both work (windows xp) and home (OS X). I am aware of Parallels software so that I will be able to run Vista on the Mac but will I use Parallels to use vista and sync (which then all my contact data/calendar/tasks/notes will still be in Outlook on the Mac), or do I since with PocketMack or MissingSync on the Mac with iCal etc. How does that effect syncing at work on the windows xp environment?

Should I go for the Mac and learn a new systme or just stick with windows where I'm comfortable and know how things work?
    am on my 4th Mac and my 4th Blackberry in the last 6 years. DES is right about the MacBook Pro. Go Pro. The Air is great but you will miss the lack of ports lke DES said.
    02-17-08 07:17 PM
    So far I'm lovin' the "Pro"! Still got lots to learn tho'. I still have to install Parallels, Poc

The Air is nice but the lack of ports is a drawback. Also, I found it hard to type on because of the space between each key. I guess it is something that you would get use to. Overall, the MacBook Pro even though it is $200 more is a better value and as far as size goes its not much thicker than the Air...less than 1/4" difference.

Thanks for all the recommendations and suggestions. I still have to get the BB hooked up and sync'd yet. I'm still checking everything else out.
    02-17-08 08:09 PM
    So far I'm lovin' the "Pro"! Still got lots to learn tho'. I still have to install Parallels, Poc

The Air is nice but the lack of ports is a drawback. Also, I found it hard to type on because of the space between each key. I guess it is something that you would get use to. Overall, the MacBook Pro even though it is $200 more is a better value and as far as size goes its not much thicker than the Air...less than 1/4" difference.

Thanks for all the recommendations and suggestions. I still have to get the BB hooked up and sync'd yet. I'm still checking everything else out.
    try vmware for virtualization, it runs really well and you can like drag windows (the OS) windows around next to mac ones and drag files in between the two as if they were one OS. (i only did a trial of the program but i liked it a lot)

VMware: Virtualization, Virtual Machine & Virtual Server Consolidation - VMware
    02-17-08 09:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD