I am a new BlackBerry user after switching to a Bold 9700 from my beloved iPhone a little more than two weeks ago.

I made the switch to remedy the issue of my work's Exchange server randomly dropping my iPhone after almost a year of uninterrupted use. This is despite the fact I was using OWA.

Anyways, I did jailbreak my iPhone 3GS and it was easy as pie to tether it to my Macbook Pro running Leopard.

Before making the move to the Bold, I had researched everything I would need to make the switch as comfortable as possible. Tethering seemed to be just as an easy process as it was on the iPhone. Boy, was I wrong.

For the last two weeks, I've been trying to figure out how to tether my Bold to my Macbook Pro. I have trolled these forums and other support forums trying every tutorial that applied to my setup. Each time, I would end up with a PPP error or a connection that would not receive packets.

I tried some of the turn key solutions such as TetherBerry. They did work, but not without the connection timing out after one hour. Lets just say I am not going to purchase this $50 application that barely works.

The thirdparty tethering app for my iPhone was called MyWi, it cost $10 bucks, had more features such as sharing a connection over Wifi to multiple devices, and it worked perfectly. I had not one issue in tethering my iPhone using both jailbroken and stock firmware. I had expected the BlackBerry experience with tethering to be flawless as well.

What could I possibly be doing wrong and is there a successful tutorial out there for a Bold 9700 carried by AT&T to be tethered to a MacBook Pro running Leopard?
    Last edited by Vegan; 12-24-09 at 10:28 PM.
    12-24-09 10:26 PM
    I am a new BlackBerry user after switching to a Bold 9700 from my beloved iPhone a little more than two weeks ago.

I made the switch to remedy the issue of my work's Exchange server randomly dropping my iPhone after almost a year of uninterrupted use. This is despite the fact I was using OWA.

Anyways, I did jailbreak my iPhone 3GS and it was easy as pie to tether it to my Macbook Pro running Leopard.

Before making the move to the Bold, I had researched everything I would need to make the switch as comfortable as possible. Tethering seemed to be just as an easy process as it was on the iPhone. Boy, was I wrong.

For the last two weeks, I've been trying to figure out how to tether my Bold to my Macbook Pro. I have trolled these forums and other support forums trying every tutorial that applied to my setup. Each time, I would end up with a PPP error or a connection that would not receive packets.

I tried some of the turn key solutions such as TetherBerry. They did work, but not without the connection timing out after one hour. Lets just say I am not going to purchase this $50 application that barely works.

The thirdparty tethering app for my iPhone was called MyWi, it cost $10 bucks, had more features such as sharing a connection over Wifi to multiple devices, and it worked perfectly. I had not one issue in tethering my iPhone using both jailbroken and stock firmware. I had expected the BlackBerry experience with tethering to be flawless as well.

What could I possibly be doing wrong and is there a successful tutorial out there for a Bold 9700 carried by AT&T to be tethered to a MacBook Pro running Leopard?
    Sorry to hear your having problems with that, can you make some vegan cockies please lol

How it all vegan

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-09 11:29 PM
    The easiest way I found was via the app Tetherberry. You just install on your berry and on your macbook connect and it works flawlessly no set up or anything.

Tether BlackBerry | BlackBerry Modem | TetherBerry
    12-25-09 12:54 AM
    i have the exact same set up and dont seem to be having any of the issues you are experiencing..? However, I just installed the desktop software and synched today so perhaps I havent encountered any problems yet?

I will definately keep an eye on this thread and update if anything does or doesnt work as it should, im very curious now having the exact same set up..
    12-25-09 01:05 AM

PPP errors usually come from incorrect settings, I use TetherBerry on my Mid-2009 13 Inch MacBook Pro and it works fine using T-Mobile.

The connection timeout problem is not BlackBerry related, It's AT&T's problem, Their system is probably set to close data connections that exceed one hour automatically.

My best solution (running 10.6.2) has been to use TetherBerry, as it usually removes a lot of the technical complications out of the equation.
    12-25-09 01:47 AM
    PPP errors usually come from incorrect settings, I use TetherBerry on my Mid-2009 13 Inch MacBook Pro and it works fine using T-Mobile.

The connection timeout problem is not BlackBerry related, It's AT&T's problem, Their system is probably set to close data connections that exceed one hour automatically.

My best solution (running 10.6.2) has been to use TetherBerry, as it usually removes a lot of the technical complications out of the equation.
    Yeahhh, I had this exact same problem, its all about the settings you are trying to connect with, and also what APN settings are set up (Options -> Advanced -> TCP/IP)

Its not the BlackBerry, its the carrier.

So far I have had no luck either tethering with my MBP running 10.6.2, and I haven't been bothered enough to try Tetherberry yet...
    12-25-09 01:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD