I am a current 8330 user who is thinking of upgrading to the Tour. The 8330 is slow as $&!# and i am getting more and more frustrated with it every day. I think the Tour is significantly faster than the 8330.

I had no end to trouble trying to tether my 8330 and finally gave up.

Before I decide to pull the trigger is has anyone had sucess tethering a VZW tour to a mac? Also, has anyone done so without paying for the access plan? I assume that if I dont download anything or watch video I shouldnt have any trouble staying under the 5gb limit.

Thanks.
    07-30-09 10:56 AM
    I recently had the Curve and, like you, could not stand the slow speeds. I got the Tour within days of its release and was relieved to see how much faster it was.

I haven't tried to tether my Tour with any workarounds (like TetherBerry), so I can't offer any advice there. However, with the $30/mo subscription, I have gotten it to link up to my Mac. Basically, you have to do it by connecting your Tour and Mac via Bluetooth. Search around and you'll find a tutorial somewhere on this forum on exactly how to do it.

I recently went to an area that had very low coverage, so the phone had a little trouble tethering to the BlackBerry. Regardless, I was still able to get internet and it saved me many trips to wifi hotspots. And in areas with better coverage, tethering was a breeze.
    Last edited by tcheck8; 07-30-09 at 11:24 AM.
    07-30-09 11:20 AM
    Blackberry will be releasing Software to help BB devices talk to Mac computers. Should be released in sept. this should help the tether as well.

Go to: blackberry.com/mac
    07-30-09 11:23 AM
    I am a current 8330 user who is thinking of upgrading to the Tour. The 8330 is slow as $&!# and i am getting more and more frustrated with it every day. I think the Tour is significantly faster than the 8330.

I had no end to trouble trying to tether my 8330 and finally gave up.

Before I decide to pull the trigger is has anyone had sucess tethering a VZW tour to a mac? Also, has anyone done so without paying for the access plan? I assume that if I dont download anything or watch video I shouldnt have any trouble staying under the 5gb limit.

Thanks.
    I tether on a regular basis here is the how to. Its incredibly simple to do and the speeds are great. You can no longer access the internets from your tethered berry for free, once you tether you are taken to a VZW page asking you to sign up for Mobile Broadband Connect, so you have to pay for the service. Its $15 if you are signed up for the BES plan or $30 for the regular unlimited data plan.

It works well but the price is a little steep especially considering the 5 gig limit.
    07-30-09 11:40 AM
    I use my wife's Tour in my macbook when we travel. works perfect with bluetooth. Speeds are fast also.
    07-30-09 01:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD