11-26-09 01:21 AM
49 12
tools
    Guys...can someone do a speedtest and report back? This is pretty much the only detail I need to decide if I want to get the Storm or not.
    01-27-09 08:00 PM
    So i've been tethering for years now with my Blackberries, the storm is no exception... except today...

i connected the USB for charging, and mistakenly tried to connect via BT to my storm, all the sudden, OS X tells me there a USB modem connected... im curious! so i check into network details, its called "Blackberry" lol..

anyone have information on how to USB tether this beast?
    01-27-09 08:03 PM
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who participated in this thread!!

I don't have a Macbook, but I have a Lenovo S10 running OS X and because of this thread, I was convinced to buy the Storm today and tether via Bluetooth. Works perfect.

Thanks again everyone!

Oh and Missing Sync works too via USB. (Haven't tried yet via BT and/or PocketMac- but I will later.)
    Last edited by 312; 01-29-09 at 09:37 PM.
    01-29-09 09:32 PM
    Alright, so I see everyone posting here that the BT pairing is working for them, the question is are you paying the extra $15/30 a month to make this work? Let me know as my Storm should be coming tomorrow- Craig
    03-02-09 07:38 PM
    Yes, there are actually multiple threads about this now.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/tet...acbook-118442/

additional $15/month to tether.
    03-02-09 07:48 PM
    Thanks, I had seen posts about people who paid and people who didn't so I was not 100% sure. Bleh for paying to use my 5gb a month that I already pay for. I was wanting to try mobishark as I will rarely use the connection but am not sure if it will run on my parallels machine inside my MacBook Pro anyone tried this type of connection?- Craig
    Last edited by cab7104; 03-02-09 at 09:47 PM.
    03-02-09 07:55 PM
    I have tried the directions in post #8 but it is not working.

I get the following error in the console. Any ideas??

03/04/09 7:33:17 AM pppd[7114] pppd 2.4.2 (Apple version 314) started by root, uid 501
    03/04/09 7:33:17 AM pppd[7114] Failed to open /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem: Resource busy

The phone was not apparently busy. It was sitting there doing it's normal thing.
    03-04-09 10:36 AM
    what if i dont have a macbook pro with blue tooth and have a powerbook G4? I am trying to teather storm to a mac as well. Thanks very much for any help
    03-05-09 11:04 PM
    Think this is my first post so bear with me...

Not an expert, but I regularly use my BT to tether my MacBook Pro through Telus.

I can try to walk you through it a bit, but feel free to ask more questions.

Make sure you have set up your Storm in your Bluetooth set up on your Mac (exchange passkey's etc)

Attached are two files showing my set up. It works great and consistently.

Good Luck.
    I just turned on my bluetooth on my bb 9530 and then turned on the bluetooth on my 17" Macbook Pro... went to setup tab on bb.... set up blue tooth on bb... pressed search tab on bb.... it found my macbook... typed in my own passcode key (your choice) on my bb ... then I was prompted to do so on my macbook pro .... (same passcode key) ... then on my bb, I pressed the macbookpro tab as a bluetooth device.... it will then ask you do you want to import to the macbook pro.... select yes and your Icontacts will open and ask you if you want to transfer all contacts to icontacts... select yes and thats it....
    03-06-09 11:06 AM
    Alright, so I see everyone posting here that the BT pairing is working for them, the question is are you paying the extra $15/30 a month to make this work? Let me know as my Storm should be coming tomorrow- Craig
    no ... this is free... I only sent over contacts though... haven't tried anything else as of yet...
    03-06-09 11:11 AM
    Oh and Missing Sync works too via USB. (Haven't tried yet via BT and/or PocketMac- but I will later.)
    Missing Sync works fine over BT, and the proximity sync is pretty cool.

I don't believe you can use Missing Sync and PocketMac at the same time, I believe their device drivers conflict. Same problem with VZAM and Missing Sync.
    03-06-09 11:12 AM
    Where do you put the #777?
    03-09-09 11:36 AM
    Hello all, I am new to the BB world and have read many posts about the simplicities and complexities of tethering a BB Storm to a Mac. I accomplished this today (hence my being able to post this) and because of the number of various directions I saw people going I figured I'd at least explain the situation I had found myself in and what I had learned so that it may help anyone else.

Computer: iMac G4 (OS 10.5.6), bluetooth capable but no hardware installed
    Blackberry: Storm 9530 (OS 4.7.0.75(not bata))
    Expenses: Verizon tether package, Rocketfish Bluetooth Micro Adapter
    Software: None... and you can't beat that.

What I learned:
    ~Verizon is dumb, so you may have to talk to a couple people before they put the correct data addition onto your plan (I talked to 4 before they finally got it right)
    ~Though the Rocketfish Micro Adapter for Bluetooth states it will only work on Windows based computers they (like most things) are plug and play with Macs... and if it doesn't work you can return the opened package to Best Buy with no questions asked anyway (I confirmed this before purchasing)
    ~While I've found many shortcomings between the Blackberry to Mac bridge... tethering via Bluetooth is most assuredly NOT one of them... it was simple, very simple.
    ~USB tethering... I am far from an expert... but after about 16 collective hours of trying to get it to work I'd say that the people who are saying it can't be done are correct
    ~Verizon states the only smartphone that will tether with a Mac is the Motorola Q... this is false. That is simply the only smartphone that is supported with their tethering software (much like rocketfish with the Windows requirements), this is only a requirement for the software, which isn't needed.

Steps I took:
    Step 1: Plug in the bluetooth adapter... easy as that
    Step 2: Turn on the bluetooth on the Storm
    Step 3: Set Storm's bluetooth options to 'Listening'
    Step 4: Go to Set up Bluetooth Device on the Mac
    Step 5: Specify it's a phone and follow the prompts on both the computer and the Storm. On the computer, one of the last screens will have a check box in the bottom left in regards to using the device as a modem to connect to the internet... this should default as being checked but make sure... otherwise it won't work.

Once it's paired you'll find 'Bluetooth' under the internet connections (Network).

Set it up like this:
    Configuration: Default
    Telephone Number: #777
    Account Name: <your mobile number here w/out dashes>@ vzw3g.com
    example: 1234567890@ vzw3g.com (no space after the '@')
    Password: vzw (all lower case)

Then go to 'Advanced...' and set it up like this:
    Vendor: Other
    Model: (this should auto-populate for you)
    Box is checked for "Enable error connection and compression in modem"
    Dial Mode: Wait for dial tone before dialing
    Dialing: Tone
    Sound: On

Then hit OK to the advanced options and Apply in the Network window and you can go ahead and connect. You'll get a prompt on your phone asking if you want to allow the connection (which you have to say yes if you want it connected) but you can click the check box on your phone so it doesn't ask you that every time.

There you have it... I've heard most of this from many postings all over the place but thought I would condense it all together in one post. If anyone finds themselves in the same situation I was in, I hope this helps.

Side note: I promise this will be the only long post I ever do... quite probably the only instructional.
    03-10-09 04:17 PM
    i have a question, i have a blackberry storm for bell mobility. i want to know how to tether it via bluetooth? anybody know?
    05-16-09 03:23 PM
    i have a question, i have a blackberry storm for bell mobility. i want to know how to tether it via bluetooth? anybody know?
    You'd have to subscribe to Bell's tethering "plan" which is ridiculously expensive. Not worth it!

You might want to check out TetherBerry, even though it's USB tethering only.
    05-16-09 11:15 PM
    I am so bloody confused...

I dont know technology. I just want to upload videos of my son from my storm to my macbook.

Ive gotten a **** response from one user when I tried posting so please just be nice.

Bluetooth? Can you do that with the Jawbone thing?

& is there any way to do this without adding the tethering to my phone plan? I already pay way too much.

Also...I have one of those little iogear chip things. Can I just take the chip out of my phone & put it in there to transport the videos to my mac?
    07-03-09 06:11 PM
    Just plug the USB cord in to the phone and your Macbook. A new drive will appear on your desktop, and it will probably be called BLACKBERRY2. Open it and navigate to to the VIDEOS folder.

BLACKBERRY2>BLACKBERRY>VIDEOS

You can drag and drop your videos to the desktop.
    07-03-09 06:14 PM
    Thanks for the tip

yet when I plug the usb into my phone & mac it does absolutely nothing.....
    07-03-09 06:47 PM

Options>Memory and make your settings look like this
    07-03-09 11:52 PM
    So does this actually work?
    07-06-09 08:04 PM
    I have been trying to get my MacBook to tether to my Storm for weeks. I constantly get an error that says "Modem errors has occurred. Please check your settings and try again." I am using the setting as outline in this post and have previously had my Curve tethered using these same setting. Why cannot I get this Storm to work? Anyone have any ideas? This is driving me nuts. Why would it work on my Curve and now that I got the Storm it is not working? HELP!
    I was able to get my verizon storm tethered to my macbook pro within 20 min. Thank you so much everyone for the valuable info. However, a week later I tried for 3 hours to get my connection back and I kept getting this same error. I went through the steps over and over and nothing would work. I finally decided it had to be the storm so I decided to pull the battery out of the storm. I waited a couple of minutes and re-installed the battery. The connection worked on the first try after that.
    07-26-09 10:24 AM
    I got my macbook about 3 yrs ago and it's still Tiger. I tried both dial-up and VZ Access Manager but both failed.

For the dial-up, there are boxes for account#, password, and phone#, but there is no advanced option. For VZAM, it doesn't detect/recognize the phone.

I already have the Mobile Broadband feature on my plan.

Can anyone please help me?
    07-29-09 12:33 AM
    You just need it get the data plan. Then search google and there are a lot of good tutorials. I banged my head against the wall for a couple of nights. Once I got the data plan, did a *228, tried it again worked great.
    08-03-09 11:30 PM
    I uninstalled VZ access manager and I'm now online using Bluetooth with my BB Storm. Easy. VA Access manager was messin' me up!
    11-26-09 01:21 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD