01-07-10 01:26 PM
172 ... 567
tools
    By the way, you don't need to dl that modem script, as you can already tether just fine via BT as long as you know how to properly set up the connection (which is posted all over cb, just search for instructions). Tetherberry allows you to tether via usb which is supposed to be considerably faster than bt - however, in my trial with the bets sw, this has proved untrue-at least for me. But again, the sw is still in beta-and I've not yet tried the new version.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ahhhh I hate people who make these blind claims. You make bt tethering sound like its dial up. Let's be honest here people. If you are using a fairly few bb with latest gen bt tech you can get about 40 to like 60kbs over bt. For out of the office/on the road/at school where no wifi connection, having 60kbs is really more than you need. What in the world do you need 200kbs for? Really you are not downlaoding torrents or from rs.com. People always make usb out to be used cause apprently bt is slower. Get ahold of your selves. Just cause its slower than usb does not mean you need to used usb. The fact that you have to carry around the usb cord compared to having to just press connect on the mac modem menu item to connect over bt. You can't go wrong. The whole purpose is to be mobile not to be a clunky desktop with cables coming out the side. Also most people go on about usb cause they don't have bt on their laptops. Buy your selves a micro usb dongle and just leave it in the usb port and be done with it.

Now to about the fact that you don't need the scripts. Well ya sure that may be true. Why in the world would you not used the scripts? There is no benefit to typing the info in your self. Plus if you are out on the road and need to use another bb you would not have the settings set up. Personally I have never seen these manual settings kicking around before. It does not make sense not to use the modem scripts. Drag and drop bb modem install. None of this type in every little setting for each bb you ever use.
    06-11-09 06:22 AM
    I think you misread my post -- I said that tethering via usb with tetherberry has been slower (in my trials) than tethering via BT.

I tried TB on the road for two days, and during each of the 10 or so sessions that I used TB, it was extremely slower than tethering via BT. This was just my experience, however. Personally, I would rather tether via BT.

As far as the modem scripts...they aren't necessary. Once you go into system prefs and configure the network connection, you're done. Its a simple process that takes under a minute to do. Im surprised you haven't come across these threads...I see people asking the "how do I set up tethering on my mac" question all the time. I've had three 8830's in the course of three years (due to one stolen, and two faulty). If you get a new phone, you simply have to re-pair the new device with your computer, and you're set.

Ahhhh I hate people who make these blind claims. You make bt tethering sound like its dial up. Let's be honest here people. If you are using a fairly few bb with latest gen bt tech you can get about 40 to like 60kbs over bt. For out of the office/on the road/at school where no wifi connection, having 60kbs is really more than you need. What in the world do you need 200kbs for? Really you are not downlaoding torrents or from rs.com. People always make usb out to be used cause apprently bt is slower. Get ahold of your selves. Just cause its slower than usb does not mean you need to used usb. The fact that you have to carry around the usb cord compared to having to just press connect on the mac modem menu item to connect over bt. You can't go wrong. The whole purpose is to be mobile not to be a clunky desktop with cables coming out the side. Also most people go on about usb cause they don't have bt on their laptops. Buy your selves a micro usb dongle and just leave it in the usb port and be done with it.

Now to about the fact that you don't need the scripts. Well ya sure that may be true. Why in the world would you not used the scripts? There is no benefit to typing the info in your self. Plus if you are out on the road and need to use another bb you would not have the settings set up. Personally I have never seen these manual settings kicking around before. It does not make sense not to use the modem scripts. Drag and drop bb modem install. None of this type in every little setting for each bb you ever use.
    06-11-09 10:38 PM
    But you still need the specific modem script for the BB model you are using. Yes i know you need the settings for your carrier, but different drivers are needed for different phones because of the different 2G/3G chips they use. This is also why many of the scripts can be interchanged between BB models because they use the same chips. FOr example, the 8800 script works for the storm, which is why there is no Storm script. People just use the 8800 script

I think you misread my post -- I said that tethering via usb with tetherberry has been slower (in my trials) than tethering via BT.

I tried TB on the road for two days, and during each of the 10 or so sessions that I used TB, it was extremely slower than tethering via BT. This was just my experience, however. Personally, I would rather tether via BT.

As far as the modem scripts...they aren't necessary. Once you go into system prefs and configure the network connection, you're done. Its a simple process that takes under a minute to do. Im surprised you haven't come across these threads...I see people asking the "how do I set up tethering on my mac" question all the time. I've had three 8830's in the course of three years (due to one stolen, and two faulty). If you get a new phone, you simply have to re-pair the new device with your computer, and you're set.

06-11-09 11:00 PM
    By the way, you don't need to dl that modem script, as you can already tether just fine via BT as long as you know how to properly set up the connection (which is posted all over cb, just search for instructions). Tetherberry allows you to tether via usb which is supposed to be considerably faster than bt - however, in my trial with the bets sw, this has proved untrue-at least for me. But again, the sw is still in beta-and I've not yet tried the new version.

Question, did you pay for the tethering plan with verizon? Or are you getting your data for free like with Tetherberry? Sorry if thats a stupid question.

Thanks
    06-12-09 03:48 AM
    Anyone want to share their data rates using Tetherberry or VZW tethering? I am using tetherberry and it is a little slow but works. Just curious. Here's what I got:

Tetherberry:
    Download: .76mb/s
    Upload: .02mb/s
    Ping: 183ms
    Last edited by blile; 06-12-09 at 04:29 AM.
    06-12-09 04:24 AM
    It's very slow for me the few times I tried it. Network goes from 1XEV to 1X when using tetherberry.
    06-12-09 06:14 AM
    No drivers are needed...were talking Max OSX, correct? Just want to make sure we're on the same page here...

But you still need the specific modem script for the BB model you are using. Yes i know you need the settings for your carrier, but different drivers are needed for different phones because of the different 2G/3G chips they use. This is also why many of the scripts can be interchanged between BB models because they use the same chips. FOr example, the 8800 script works for the storm, which is why there is no Storm script. People just use the 8800 script
    06-12-09 07:39 AM
    I have Sprint

In the past, when I used and relied on tethering heavilly, I added it to my rate plan, and paid an additional $15/month for it.

These days, I barely use it-if ever...so I've since removed the $15/month option off of my plan. However with Sprint, certain plans allow you to tether still, at no additional cost. Of course, this is unadvertised, and people speculate that it won't be around forever - but it does work. I wouldn't recommend abusing the system...like I said above, when I NEEDED tethering for an extended period of time, I've always gone online and added it back to my plan.

To my knowledge, Sprint is the only carrier that has this "loophole", if you will call it that.

Question, did you pay for the tethering plan with verizon? Or are you getting your data for free like with Tetherberry? Sorry if thats a stupid question.

Thanks
    06-12-09 07:46 AM
    No drivers are needed...were talking Max OSX, correct? Just want to make sure we're on the same page here...

Yes mac. Just use the word driver as another word for the modem script because essentially that's what the scripts are
    06-12-09 06:28 PM
    Alright, now that I have some free time, and now that there's been a Mac update - where to we go to download the new sw? I tried the forums on the tetherberry website, but couldn't find a download link...also tried to sign up for the Mac Beta on the website, assuming I would get an email with a dl link, but didn't. I haven't seen the OP in the thread for a while...anyone out there!? heh
    06-13-09 07:07 PM
    Alright, now that I have some free time, and now that there's been a Mac update - where to we go to download the new sw? I tried the forums on the tetherberry website, but couldn't find a download link...also tried to sign up for the Mac Beta on the website, assuming I would get an email with a dl link, but didn't. I haven't seen the OP in the thread for a while...anyone out there!? heh
    Use the same download link from this thread
    06-18-09 04:58 AM
    Hi, I am from India.. using Vodafone BB service on my 8900. I tried to connect ThetherBerry.. On my mac it says Connection Successful.. but on my phone it says:

Attempting a connection
    Tunnel Failed
    Failed to locate the server
    Please exit the application via menu and try again

I tried all the connections.
    Direct, Default, BES/MDS .. still same problem

During the installation TetherBerry was installed on my network.
    pls help....
    07-07-09 01:19 AM
    Got an email last night about a NEW Mac beta...is supposed to be incredibly faster...am going to test it today while on the road...am gonna attempt to stream the MJ Memorial while travelling in Boston...gonna try to stream from SprintTV and from my MacBook via TetherBerry...I'm sure the internet is going to be hit pretty hard, as nearly 1 billion people are expected to be watching live today...so results may be iffy...we'll see!

07-07-09 08:40 AM
    Why do mac users want to support this costly software for something that they can do for free????????
    07-07-09 04:12 PM
    Because it's free for mac...at least for now while it's in beta. It's supposedto be noticeably faster than tetherig via BT. I have yet to see that though...I'll keep toying with it as they update the beta...for regular use I'd prefer to use BT however.

07-07-09 04:37 PM
    Heya, I've been trying to test out whether or not the BT connection is slower than connection through the USB option but I can't figure out how to setup the USB and turn off the BT connection. Could someone give me some advice on this or link me to an explanation? Thanks in advance. Oh and i'm on a macbook pro on OSx 10.4
    Last edited by parkerstratton; 07-10-09 at 04:43 PM.
    07-10-09 04:39 PM
    Tetherberry works effortlessly. I just tried it, connected via usb, turned it on first on the Mac then my Storm, and boom! Worked!

I tried pairing it via BT and doing the alternate methods I have found online, but as soon as it logs on, it gives me the Verizon Broadband signup page telling me it'll be another $30. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I've been looking for the information everywhere on how to accomplish the same as Tetherberry with alternate means, but no go.

Tetherberry is extremely easy to use in this case! The USB part sucks though, but works effortlessly and as easy!
    07-10-09 09:48 PM
    Tetherberry works effortlessly. I just tried it, connected via usb, turned it on first on the Mac then my Storm, and boom! Worked!

I tried pairing it via BT and doing the alternate methods I have found online, but as soon as it logs on, it gives me the Verizon Broadband signup page telling me it'll be another $30. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I've been looking for the information everywhere on how to accomplish the same as Tetherberry with alternate means, but no go.

Tetherberry is extremely easy to use in this case! The USB part sucks though, but works effortlessly and as easy!
    +1. No probs with USB but I still can't get BT to do right.
    07-10-09 10:17 PM
    Sooo...I have FINALLY gotten around to checking out the NEW version of TB...btw, since I initially posted this, a newer and final beta has been released (Which is what I am using now for testing). In my trials, tethering over BT is STILL considerably faster.

I attempted to download several files from various mega-servers like apple, google, microsoft, etc....

The Verdict:
    Tethering over TB with the newest and final beta for Mac: Achieved speeds approx 24k/sec-50k/sec

Tethering over BT on the Mac: Achieved speeds approx 90k/sec-125k/sec

Here are screenshots of three bandwidth testing sites I also used...

Below is via TetherBerry:

Below is via Bluetooth:

I am going to stick with BT for now...its easy, it works, and its fast. I must say still though, kudos to the TB team...the app has come a long way - and while it does work - it has never been anywhere near as fast as BT...which is supposed to be the entire purpose of the app. Still, keep up the good work guys!
    08-06-09 01:01 PM
    9630 running 10.6.2 with the newest version of TB on both via USB, phone says connection made, laptop still says failed to load BB interface.. tetherfail lol..
    09-20-09 11:56 AM
    9630 running 10.6.2 with the newest version of TB on both via USB, phone says connection made, laptop still says failed to load BB interface.. tetherfail lol..

Same issue here. Not able to connect my Sprint Tour to my Mac running 10.6.2
    10-11-09 02:23 AM
    Same issue here. Not able to connect my Sprint Tour to my Mac running 10.6.2
    Ditto with my Storm2 on 10.6.2...

I have tried Tetherberry 3 times now and every time it sucks on ice.
    01-07-10 01:26 PM
172 ... 567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD