01-07-10 02:26 PM
172 ... 4567
tools
    How is this different than using bluetooth on the Mac to tether? Does this somehow get me out of the $15 / month Verizon wants when I try to tether? If not, it seems like this is a lot of software to do something that is easily done just using a bluetooth connection.
    Yes, this bypasses the $15 month fee to Verizon.
    05-09-09 10:01 PM
    What ended up working for me (and still is after 2 days, i'm actually using it as I type this) is if you change the name of the connection you're using for tetherberry to Tetherberry. It's worth a shot and it's definitely working. Also, you should start up both apps before plugging to your mac. That's how it's worked so far. It's awesome so I hope it works out for you if it hasn't thus far! :-)
    05-11-09 10:19 AM
    I locked mine down to pocketmac which I don't use anyway. Once I uninstalled that, it saw my berry! I believe both missingsync and pocketmac cause it problems.
    I just want to confirm that this worked for me. The app worked fine until I installed PocketMac (which also didn't work). Once I uninstalled PocketMac, my Tether was restored!
    05-12-09 01:33 PM
    Hey Guys,

Just FYI, I've made a fix for the 8830's and some Storms. You can get it here: http://www.tetherberry.com/d/TetherBerry.dmg

You should remove your previous install first though. I usually do that by doing the following:

Unload the driver from the terminal:
    sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/TetherBerry.kext

Next from Finder drag the following items to the trash:
    /Applications/TetherBerryGUI
    /Library/Receipts/tetherberry.pkg
    /Library/Receipts/tetherberrygui.pkg
    /System/Library/Extensions/TetherBerry.kext

You should then be able to run the installer above. I will be building an uninstaller that does the above.

This solves the "Can't find BlackBerry" problem people were having with 8830 and some Storms.

You still need to make sure the PocketMac or MissingSync drivers are unloaded for this to work. In a future version I will be adding code that detects if these are loaded and asks you if you want to unload them before launching and then will ask to reload them when finished with TetherBerry.

Hope this helps
    05-16-09 09:27 AM
    I forgot to mention that I will also be running tests next week to compare the speeds on the Mac vs a Windows machine in the same location and if there are differences I'll try to narrow it down and fix it.
    05-16-09 09:30 AM
    Ok, I have my just got Tetherberry working (using the mac beta) how can I be sure that this bypasses VZW because I would hate 2 get an unexpected bill in the mail.
    05-17-09 02:26 PM
    Ok, I have my just got Tetherberry working (using the mac beta) how can I be sure that this bypasses VZW because I would hate 2 get an unexpected bill in the mail.
    Sign up through Verizon for the tethering plan for 1 month, but use Tetherberry. Monitor your usage to see if it actually works for you. If you DO get hit with data usage, you're covered because you have the feature. If not, you can discontinue the feature the next month.
    05-17-09 02:30 PM
    Hey Guys,

Just FYI, I've made a fix for the 8830's and some Storms. You can get it here:

You should remove your previous install first though. I usually do that by doing the following:

Unload the driver from the terminal:
    sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/TetherBerry.kext

Next from Finder drag the following items to the trash:
    /Applications/TetherBerryGUI
    /Library/Receipts/tetherberry.pkg
    /Library/Receipts/tetherberrygui.pkg
    /System/Library/Extensions/TetherBerry.kext

You should then be able to run the installer above. I will be building an uninstaller that does the above.

This solves the "Can't find BlackBerry" problem people were having with 8830 and some Storms.

You still need to make sure the PocketMac or MissingSync drivers are unloaded for this to work. In a future version I will be adding code that detects if these are loaded and asks you if you want to unload them before launching and then will ask to reload them when finished with TetherBerry.

Hope this helps
    Still not working. a changelog needs to be implemented so we all see exactly what is being worked on, what is being corrected, etc. This is like a free-for-all here. Yes I know it is in beta, but there is an organized way to go about this here.

But after uninstalling and reinstalling the Tetherberry for mac, it still did nothing for me. It still says Blackberry not found No pocketmac or missing sync. I can tether using bluetooth (finally found a method that worked) and the tetherberry for the windows xp (vmware fusion) is working ok.

Is there anyway to see how tetherberry is checking for the connected blackberry? Is there a log?
    05-18-09 02:21 AM
    I don't know if this is the official post, but I see the devs are posting here - I went and read the entire thread, and am happy to say that after reading all of the tips/tricks, I was able to get the program up and running. This is the same program that was announced on the CB homepage a while back, no? I was under the impression there was a fee, even for the beta.

Anyway, on my machine, I previously had poketmac, as well as the bb media sync installed from quite a while ago. This prevented tetherberry from being able to pull the device in via USB, thus giving the 'failed to connect' message. However, after running the following commands via terminal, I am now able to connect just as described.

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/BlackberryUSBDev.kext
    sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/RIMBBUSB.kext
    sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/BlackberryUSB.kext

Also, it sounds trivial to some, but make sure your AirPort connection is off, as well as unplugging any ethernet connection you may have.

Thanks to the devs for their hard work on this app - I dont see a huge speed boost over BT really, but this is certainly nice to have just as a back up. Plus i'm sure over time the app will only get better and faster.

Thanks again!

FYI, for pricing....not sure what you guys have in mind - but I would pay $15 for this app. No more, no less...just some feedback.
    05-22-09 09:57 PM
    FYI, for pricing....not sure what you guys have in mind - but I would pay $15 for this app. No more, no less...just some feedback.
    Umm, we're a bit slow to the party, aren't we? The pricing has been announced for quite some time: it's $49.95.
    05-23-09 01:13 AM
    Umm, we're a bit slow to the party, aren't we? The pricing has been announced for quite some time: it's $49.95.
    Perhaps you NEED to reread this thread. This is the beta for the mac. The $49.95 price is for a PC. If you know the difference.
    05-23-09 02:18 AM
    Yeah-i thought this was the app. If you had read my entire post, I asked if this was the app that was on the cb homepage a while back. Because I was under the impression there was a fee for the app, even for the beta. Because this beta is free, I didn't think it was the same app. I've mentioned also that $50 is extremely overpriced, in my opinion - which is why I suggested a $15 pricepoint.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-09 11:39 AM
    Whoops, nvm...guess I spoke too soon! I still thought that when I read the article on the cb homepage, it stated there was a charge for the mac version as well...must have read wrong, ill go revisit that post quick.

Perhaps you NEED to reread this thread. This is the beta for the mac. The $49.95 price is for a PC. If you know the difference.
    05-23-09 11:43 AM
    Has anyone else tried an IPSec VPN connection using the Mac Beta? I can't get a connection established, or is that a "feature" from Verizon in not allowing that ... D
    05-23-09 11:43 AM
    Any Update?
    05-26-09 08:00 AM
    I finally got it to work again with my macbook. Instead of a battery pull on the Storm, do a battery pull on the macbook. Started the program up again, and it connected right off.
    05-27-09 07:40 PM
    I finally got it to work again with my macbook. Instead of a battery pull on the Storm, do a battery pull on the macbook. Started the program up again, and it connected right off.
    What does pulling the battery do to the macbook? How is that different from turning the macbook off? or restarting?
    05-29-09 06:21 PM
    What does pulling the battery do to the macbook? How is that different from turning the macbook off? or restarting?
    A battery pull on the mac may kill the PRAM. but that shouldnt be necessary. a reboot should work.
    05-29-09 06:24 PM
    To reset the PRAM, you need to boot your macbook while holding Command, Option, P R

I just wanted to follow up to my initial few posts in this thread...now that I've gotten the app working, I've noticed that at times the app only works for about 5 minutes or so, before the connection is dropped. When I say connection, I don't mean my berry's wireless signal, it appears to be dropping the connection from usb to usb...therefore completely stoping data transfer. In addition, its extremely slower than using BT.

I think you guys are on the right track though-keep up the good work!

06-02-09 09:00 AM
    Looks like new Beta version is out. Still doesn't appear to be working with a PowerBook
    06-09-09 10:43 AM
    Tetherberry is a TOTAL waste.

Just use
    Updated Modem Scripts for OS X 10.5 (Leopard) - Fibble.org
    Assuming your a mac user. If your not. Well that's your fault
    06-10-09 04:24 PM
    Tetherberry is a TOTAL waste.

Just use
    Updated Modem Scripts for OS X 10.5 (Leopard) - Fibble.org
    Assuming your a mac user. If your not. Well that's your fault
    lol...and thanks for the URL, but you actually have to have tethering services to use that script. (right?) Tetherberry eliminates the need for that
    06-10-09 04:43 PM
    Not necessarilly

06-10-09 11:56 PM
    By the way, you don't need to dl that modem script, as you can already tether just fine via BT as long as you know how to properly set up the connection (which is posted all over cb, just search for instructions). Tetherberry allows you to tether via usb which is supposed to be considerably faster than bt - however, in my trial with the bets sw, this has proved untrue-at least for me. But again, the sw is still in beta-and I've not yet tried the new version.

06-11-09 12:00 AM
    lol...and thanks for the URL, but you actually have to have tethering services to use that script. (right?) Tetherberry eliminates the need for that

Not true. Your statement is false. Tethering options are network based not client side. If your carrier charges for tethering using tb is not going to make it free
    06-11-09 07:11 AM
172 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD