O.K., I finally got my T-Mobile 9700 tethered via Bluetooth using the following:

phone number: epc.tmobile.com
    user name: cell phone #
    password: (the password you use on tmobile.com to check account)

However I have a few additional questions about making sure I am 100% setup correctly... Any help is appreciated!

When I called T-Mobile they stated 3G tethering is not available for the Bold. I guess they were wrong however:

Where did the telephone epc.tmobile.com come from (versus just leaving it blank or using wap.voicestream.com)?

Is my MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard suppose to have the BlackBerry listed as a vendor and model (in the advanced network options) to make it work via bluetooth? Or do I have to manually download it regardless?

Also, can I tether via usb without installing Desktop Manager or Tetherberry?

Should my MacBook Pro recognize the Bold 9700 as a USB Modem network interface natively or does only come when I install Desktop Danager?

Thanks!
    Last edited by registeringsucks1; 12-04-09 at 12:46 PM.
    12-04-09 12:41 PM
    no to the tethering, you at minimal will need to have blackberry desktop manager installed for the drivers to be installed with it. the tether berry allows users who are required to pay additional cost with service provider to tether, to be able to tether without paying monthly fees. your mac once the bbdm is installed will be able to tether the device, if you go to network preferences youll see the device as a modem, youll have to configure it and than youll be up and running.
    12-04-09 12:44 PM
    Thanks for the response....

What about this epc.tmobile.com?

So you are also saying that if I plug my Bold 9700 in, my MacBook Pro should NOT recognize it as a modem in network preferences? This would only come when I install DM, correct?
    12-04-09 12:48 PM
    Actually you don't need tetherberry at all when you have T-Mobile because when you are subscribed to the BB data plan you get unlimited data usage. But you absolutely must have BBDM installed in order to connect.
    12-06-09 12:22 AM
    I have tried numerous means to tether my 9700 T-mobile Bold to my new MacBook Pro running snow leopard, including the method described above. I can get the bluetooth connection established, and have BBDM installed in the version for Macs that came out in October. Any other ideas of what might be needed? I have a list of ways that did not work I can post.
    12-06-09 09:06 AM
    I've got it to work via USB cable.

Settings that work for me (am posting via it now):

CARRIER-TMOBILE
    PHONE-BOLD 9700
    OS-MAC OS X VERSION 10.6.2

CURRENT SETTING TRIED:
    CONFIGURATION: DEFAULT
    TELEPHONE NUMBER: *99#
    ACCOUNT NAME: user
    PASSWORD: pass
    VENDOR:RESEARCH IN MOTION
    MODEL:BLACKBERRY IP MODEM (GSM)
    APN: general.t-mobile.uk
    CID:1

I used the settings that were given to me for my old winmob Vario 1 and 3 to set it up.
    01-01-10 08:44 AM
    Actually you don't need tetherberry at all when you have T-Mobile because when you are subscribed to the BB data plan you get unlimited data usage. But you absolutely must have BBDM installed in order to connect.
    Although it's true that Tetherberry is unnecessary, this is not entirely accurate.

I just got a new T-Mobile Bold 9700 after Christmas. I read many recent horror stories about lost data with BBDM in the RIM forums and thus have never installed BBDM. In searching for a syncing solution, I found The Missing Sync (TMS), which works well for me on Snow Leopard. Because the TMS installation installs the required drivers, BBDM is never required. I would bet that most, if not all, syncing solutions would be similar.

BTW, in order to connect, my Bluetooth DUN connection configuration in Network Preferences had to be the following:

Telephone Number: epc.tmobile.com
    Account Name: my cell #
    Password: my t-mobile.com password

Good luck, all.
    01-06-10 01:48 PM
    The epc.tmobile.com APN is the APN that is specified in the T-Mobile Blackberry Bold 9700 at purchase. You can check this in your Blackberry under Options->Advanced Options->TCP/IP. For anyone who is still having trouble tethering their Blackberry Bold 9700 to their Mac, check out this how-to on my blog: claytonlong.blogspot.com/2010/01/tethering-your-mac-to-blackberry-bold_6866.html
    01-09-10 10:01 AM
    Assuming you are using T-Mobile UK and have Snow Leopard installed, this is how you tether your Mac to your blackberry via Blutooth (T-Mobile USA instructions included below): You can do this for free without extra software installed.

I installed Blackberry Desktop Manager for the Mac, although you do NOT need this software for this.

First thing you do is pair the device with your Mac. You do this via the Blutooth symbol on the top of the Mac's desktop bar. Make sure Blutooth is turned on, on your Blackberry.

Assuming you complete the pairing, the Mac will automatically ask you if you want to connect via the Blackberry's modem. You will then have the opportunity to select the Handset model - You choose Research in Motion then then choose Blackberry IP Modem (GSM). The settings are as follows:

APN: general.t-mobile.uk (this is for T-Mobile UK - for T-Mobile USA use epc.tmobile.com)
    CID: 1

If you go to System Preferences, Network, Blutooth DUN the settings should be:

No telephone number
    Username: [gprs]
    Password: [gprs]

Also make sure you select that the modem icon is on your desktop.

Optionally you can make sure that the info for APN and CID are correct by clicking on the 'Advanced' button.

That's it - your Mac is tethered to your Blackberry without a pesky USB cable. You just go to the Modem icon (looks like a phone handset) on your Mac's desktop bar and choose Connect Blutooth DUN and then you'll be websurfing.

Hope that helps. This isn't written anywhere on the UK or US T-Mobile websites. Trial & Error rules! Let me know if this worked for you as it works for me!
    Last edited by merouby; 01-10-10 at 04:49 AM.
    01-10-10 04:26 AM
    What about if I use a T-Mobile (not quite sure from where US or UK) but with Celcom Malaysia BIS network, do I still follow APN setting for T-Mobile US or UK although I'm not using either network.
    01-12-10 09:33 PM
    OK .....i have finally figured this one out...
    i have successfully tethered my 8900 curve

1. you HAVE to install the new mac desktop manager. (this makes RIM appear as a possible vendor later when you are creating the network connection)
    2. Create a bluetooth connection between blackberry and mac.
    3. Create a bluetooth DUN connection

This is where all the mistakes happen. If you look in your black berry options-advanced settings - tcp and you see epc.tmobile.com use the following settings when you create the bluetooth network connection

a) Telephone number <leave blank>
    b) Account name <gprs>
    c) password <gprs>

then go to advanced settings
    in the modem tab make sure the following are selected and entered
    a) Vendor <Research in Motion> (youmust install the latest mac blackberry desktop manager to have this available)
    b) Model <blackberry ip modem GSM> (youmust install the latest mac blackberry desktop manager to have this available)
    c) APN <epc.tmobile.com>

In the DNS tab
    enter the following in: 66.94.9.120 and 66.94.25.120

In the proxy tab use the following
    web proxy: 216.155.175.188 port 8080

thats it...good luck
    01-21-10 05:34 PM
    Worked well on my 8520. Thanks a lot for the info. Not sure how to work with the DNS etc. But that did not seem to matter.
    01-30-10 04:27 PM
    I was able to bluetooth my 9700 to my mac snow leopard. But why does the internet keep going to web2go for T-Mobile. It says that I don't have a data plan, but T-Mobile says that I do. So aggravating.
    04-04-10 05:33 PM
    Unfortunately I'm not able to post links yet ! ok, try this : Google : +"Tethering your Blackberry Bold to your Mac via. Bluetooth" +"Eugene Dong"
    Open the first link, and do everything step by step !
    it worked like a charm on Rogers (Canada) !
    make sure you do all the steps ...
    hope it helps !
    06-21-10 11:25 PM
    as i am posting this, i am tethering from my blackberry 9700 from my bluetooth.
    06-27-10 09:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD