06-22-09 08:37 AM
35 12
tools
    I love my Storm. But i'm now using a Mac for my main computer. And this computer is not going anywhere. The reason i'm moving to an iPhone is because I can't sync my Storm with the Mac properly. It always hangs or freezes. I've tried the recommended apps to sync with, but nothing is working properly. So i think i have to go to an iPhone. I don't want to leave Verizon, but this is the only choice.

Does anyone have any experience with syncing a Storm with a Mac? Or should I say, anyone successful with this?

rgevol
    Last edited by rgevol; 06-20-09 at 07:37 PM.
    06-20-09 06:35 PM
    Im sure there are some people on here that have gotten it to work. Arent you concerned about the lack of network coverage if you switch?
    Last edited by paulwright1; 06-20-09 at 07:45 PM.
    06-20-09 06:40 PM
    well hope you enjoy the iphone if and when you get one.
    06-20-09 06:43 PM
    I sync with my MacBook Pro with no problems. I use the PocketMac and it does just fine.

Never hangs up or freezes.

I tried Missing Sync and had problems. I was about to give in as well, but I tried PocketMac as a last resort. And I thought it would be horrible.

Let me know if I can help.
    06-20-09 06:43 PM
    I sync with my MacBook Pro with no problems. I use the PocketMac and it does just fine.

I tried Missing Sync and had problems. I was about to give in as well, but I tried PocketMac as a last resort. And I thought it would be horrible.

Do you have leopard

Because since 10.5.6 pocketmac does not work
    06-20-09 06:54 PM
    Yep!! 10.5.7

I downloaded the newest pocketmac software from BB site.
    Read some stuff here at Crackberry...no sweat
    06-20-09 07:01 PM
    I picked up the 3GS and used it for all of 24 hours before Verizon was kind enough to port my number back over. It really is all about the network. The iPhone would not hold on to 3G at my house consistently. One minute it's full bars with 3G, then struggling to hold edge, then no signal at all. Very erratic. That was enough to convince me network problems would probably be a regular issue. As nice as the iPhone is, I will not stay with a subpar network. My iPod Touch will be fine for now.
    06-20-09 07:02 PM
    Yep!! 10.5.7

I downloaded the newest pocketmac software from BB site.
    Read some stuff here at Crackberry...no sweat
    Do you mind explaining me how. It would be quite helpful. PM me if you would like
    06-20-09 07:03 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. I have followed all the different instructions off of this site and other sites as well. I am running a Macbook Pro with Leopard 10.5.7. I have downloaded the newest version of PocketMac with the driver update.

I actually have been in contact with RIM support more than twice and the only thing that fixes it is if i wipe the phone clean, then doing a one-way sync from the Mac to the Storm. Then it will sync for the first couple times, then it hangs or duplicates entries, or both.

Don't get me wrong. I'd rather stay with BB than the storm, but I make changes to my contacts and calendar on a daily basis, and if i can't sync properly every day, i can't use the phone.

The support tech from RIM said that they are working on improving PocketMac, but there is no telling when it would be out.

If i can get the sync to work like it should, i will stay. I do prefer Verizon's network, but I gotta do what i gotta do.

Oh, i forgot.... I'm running .148. I think this is the latest official release.
    06-20-09 07:37 PM
    Sad that you would switch instead of just getting a different berry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-09 07:46 PM
    Sad that you would switch instead of just getting a different berry.

would another berry solve the problem?
    06-20-09 07:51 PM
    Have you ever thought about setting up a Gmail account and using Google Sync to keep your contacts and calendars in line.
    06-20-09 07:51 PM
    Have you ever thought about setting up a Gmail account and using Google Sync to keep your contacts and calendars in line.
    I use Google Sync for my Contacts/Calendar and it seems to work ok. I'd much rather do that than jump to an iPhone using AT&T (shutter).
    06-20-09 08:41 PM
    Paulwright1 - I have thought about a different BB, but everything i've researched says that it is pretty much global across the board. My sister actually has a curve and she just installed and tried the new PocketMac, and hers did the exact same thing.

The Antagonist - I have thought about that. But I have a few custom emails (my own company) and I don't think it'll work. If i am wrong about that, someone please let me know how to set this up. I'd be willing to try it out.
    06-20-09 08:43 PM
    grgiwoyna - It sounds like you've tried to sync a BB with google sync. What was wrong with it? Why would you rather go to the iphone? I'm just curious. I'm trying to stay with bb if I can. But it really isn't looking like i will be.
    06-20-09 08:45 PM
    I'm going to get an iphone too as soon as Verizon offers it

06-20-09 10:24 PM
    go for the iPhone. i have a Storm and i like the iPhone better
    06-20-09 10:49 PM
    After playing with the Iphone 3Gs for about 30 minutes in the store. I'm definitely getting an Iphone. I can't believe how much faster the 3Gs is. Browsing is also so much faster then my Storm (.148). Everything about the Iphone is just so much faster. I've never had an issue with my Storm but it's just slow compared to the everyday functions of the Iphone.
    06-20-09 11:44 PM
    Why dont you get an other bb phone.
    06-20-09 11:51 PM

I had the opposite problem. I could never get pocketmac to work, but missing sync works well for me. It took playing with the configuration for a bit, but I finally got it. Syncing with macs and the storm seems to be finicky though. I've read several posts over the last few months that talk about one method that works for some and another method that works for others. Unfortunately it doesn't seem consistent or predictable. I'm running OS .132 and Leopard 10.5.6. After I upgrade and try to sync I'll post what the results are.

Edit: after I apply the upgrade to Leopard 10.5.7.
    06-21-09 12:12 AM
    I love my Storm. But, if I could, I would get the latest Iphone in a heartbeat. My problem is that I live out in the sticks with a limited ATT signal. On a routine basis, I go to the ATT website and review their coverage maps, hoping that my area would have good coverage.

Sigh.
    06-21-09 09:23 AM
    The only reason I don't have one is because of AT&T.
    Verizon gets it, I do too.

Sorry, Storm
    06-21-09 10:03 AM
    Why dont you get an other bb phone.
    Because it's a global Blackberry and Mac thing. Doesn't matter what phone, if it's a BB, it doesn't play nice with Macs. There's no way to update the OS on the Berry, no way to properly backup/restore the Berry if you're on a Mac.

UNLESS we are willing to install Windoze onto our Macs. There is NO DM for Macs. Period. There is NO good, RELIABLE 3rd party software that WORKS for installing OS/backup/restore. Period.
    06-21-09 11:14 AM
    I love my Storm. But i'm now using a Mac for my main computer. And this computer is not going anywhere. The reason i'm moving to an iPhone is because I can't sync my Storm with the Mac properly. It always hangs or freezes. I've tried the recommended apps to sync with, but nothing is working properly. So i think i have to go to an iPhone. I don't want to leave Verizon, but this is the only choice.

Does anyone have any experience with syncing a Storm with a Mac? Or should I say, anyone successful with this?

rgevol
    The best thing to do in this instance is, ditch the Mac and get a real PC, then you would not have to give up the BB or VZW. And you wont have any problems syncing.
    06-21-09 11:31 AM

rgevol
    Would it not be easier to get an older pc laptop to communicate with the storm?? Over switching providers? I'm not sure what the pros and cons would be....something to think about.
    06-21-09 11:41 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD