09-07-09 10:56 PM
27 12
tools
    1. What do you need a computer for to synch with a Blackberry? I know you need it to synch contacts and calendar, though what else?

Do you need it for installing apps? Can apps be just downloaded directly on the device?

I am a mac user and thinking of getting the new Tour and am just curious as to why i would even need to consider buying Missing Synch if I can just synch Address Book and iCal with the free program.

Thanks!
    07-04-09 12:48 PM
    First, welcome to CrackBerry!

The biggest reason is to sync your mac Address Book and Calendar to your BlackBerry and to install new applications that don't have an over-the-air (OTA) installer package.

A lot of mac users also run Parallels or VMFusion with Windows and the BlackBerry Desktop Manager (DM) software to load new device software upgrades. The DM software also allows you to install and remove applications included in the device software from your BB. Unfortunately, RIM doesn't not yet offer a native mac version of the DM software.

While the newest versions of BlackBerry device software include a Wireless Upgrade option, that will only work with software offered for your device by your carrier. For example, T-Mobile's current device os is several versions behind what other carriers are offering, so you would need DM to install the newer software.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by PNWBerryAddict; 07-04-09 at 04:29 PM.
    07-04-09 04:22 PM
    Will the new Tour be capable of "proximity" syncing with my desktop Mac if I don't run Windows programs in it? Do you recommend The Missing Sync? Or...Google sync? I have Mobile Me....Verizon is my carrier.
    07-09-09 07:13 PM
    How can I find the xml file on my imac?
    07-10-09 06:17 PM
    I've downloaded the new pocketmac from BB and tried to sync my BlackBerry Storm 9530 and it is still not syncing. This is the message that comes up:
    02:00:09.518] An unexpected error has occurred: Bad device record set. Check that the OID values are unique across records.
    An unexpected error has occurred: Bad device record set. Check that the OID values are unique across records.
    [02:12:26.331] Synchronization cancelled. Some data may not have been synchronized"

Please Help
    07-15-09 01:29 PM
    same, my tour comes up with an error too..this sucks
    07-15-09 01:56 PM
    Do yourself a favor and either go with google sync or bite the bullet and go with vmfusion. I use sync for my contacts and calendar and vmfusion for os updates.
    07-15-09 09:01 PM
    All I want to do is sync my blackberry with my mac for contacts, calendar, and MAYBE bookmarks purposes. I tried using the pocketmac program, but it didn't work very well. I have some bookmarks application/icon on my blackberry that appears to do nothing. Oddly, my address book transferred correctly. And the calendar is totally messed up. The events show up as fine with ical as occurring for pocketmac. Do i need to drag all the events and drop them to my home, or is one sufficient? Also, my blackberry is messed up. I have a today theme ... and it lists my mom's birthday 6 times, but it's not until 3/23, i mean, what the heck? It wasn't like that before i attempted the sync thing. Any help please?

and sorry, but yes, I'm new to blackberries AND to macs. Thanks for any help.

oh yeah, and even worse, i have an 8gb microsd card in my blackberry. Since syncing, it appears my phone cannot or does not recognize that my card is in there ... and it IS in there. What the heck did i do?????
    Last edited by sttngagt; 07-18-09 at 12:52 PM.
    07-18-09 12:47 PM
    i just got a tour and the error coming up when I try a sync with pocketmac is "cant find device: error 1 (skipping)" anyone else see this?
    07-19-09 12:45 PM
    I've been having the same problems with error messages about skipping. I am sooo frustrated. I have had no success with syncing and have spend many hours trying to figure it out. Any suggestions? I have been trying missing sync however, my Bold died and when I got my new one it will not sync. Ugh.
    07-19-09 12:56 PM
    I've had great luck with Missing Sync.
    07-19-09 07:09 PM
    Does anyone know if CrossOver would be effective for the Desktop Manager in syncing your BB to your mac, because if that's the case then I will do that instead of having to go through the trouble of using Boot Camp (it's such a hassle!)
    07-19-09 10:29 PM
    I've had great luck with Missing Sync.
    Whatever problems people were having with missing sync have been corrected with the current version 2.2
    I use it and proximity sync (via bluetooth) with my macbook (non-bootcamp) and bb tour (vzw) perfectly.
    I bit the bullet and paid $40 but it was worth the non-headache of a working program.

Get missing sync. save your time but spend your money.
    07-21-09 08:03 AM
    Well, the good news (I hope) is that RIM announced Blackberry Desktop Manager for Mac is being released in September. It's about f-ing time.
    07-21-09 09:34 AM
    So nobody has had succeess using Pocket Mac to sync and backup their data?
    07-21-09 05:58 PM
    I just picked up a Tour today, and for grins, I connected it up to the Imac. I was hoping it would pick it up as a another hard drive. I was just hoping to drag and drop some songs. No such luck. I might try pocket mac as it is free or has a free trail. If it dosen't work. I can wait until RIM Software releases in Sept.

On as side note. What is the max microSDHC card the tour can handle? 16 GB? I wanna get most space before i start loading up the apps.

Thanks.
    07-23-09 09:28 PM
    I have had success with the latest pocket mac syncing, my address book, i cal and some othe r contacts. But with an 8 gig newly installed and formatted sd card in place I can't download music or photos.
    07-30-09 09:19 PM
    I've heard nothing but horror stories with PocketMac... You can install parallels/fusion/crossover and then mess around with windows (except with crossover) just to sync your BB. Or... you can buy Missing Sync and go from there. The only reason you need DM is to update OS software. In those rare instances, then you can mess around with virtualization or just wait till Sept when DM for Mac comes out.

Missing Sync has been wonderful for me... have used it since day 1 with my Tour.
    08-01-09 03:07 PM
    I use plaxo and google sync.

Seems to work fine, everything synced OTA automatically.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 04:08 PM
    What do you need a computer for to synch with a Blackberry? I know you need it to synch contacts and calendar, though

i like to sync my music and downloaded videos to my black berry. I don't care so much about contacts or calendars as I have those in other places and don't change them (except for the calendar) very often anyway.

i use doubleTwist to sync my iTunes music library (non-DRM tracks I ripped myself) and YT and Daily Motion videos I downloaded using the import from YouTube feature in doubleTwist. Maybe I'm wierd in that my phone is more a social and fun device and not a business device for me.

dt works for both Win and Mac and since i'm also weird in that I use both types of computers a lot, I appreciate one app that works for both.
    08-06-09 03:56 PM
    All I used missing synch with the mac and it deleted my ical entries. Now they are only on my blackberry curve. Any way for me to get them back on to my mac?
    08-10-09 12:44 PM
    I use missing sync, however the BT connection seems to have issues pairing.
    08-10-09 10:29 PM
    dt works for both Win and Mac and since i'm also weird in that I use both types of computers a lot, I appreciate one app that works for both.
    What is dt??????? If you meant DM(Desktop Manager) then you must have not tried to load it on a Mac, it will not work unless you go through bootcamp, Parallels or some similar program. PocketMac worked for for my first Bold but will not recognize this one as a connected device. And I don't want to spend the money to buy missing sync when DM for Mac is to be released in September.
    08-18-09 07:20 AM
    Well, I was able to get Pocket Mac's SyncManager working fine. I just chucked the version I had previously downloaded into my trash can and downloaded it again from RIM's website. My contacts & Calendar sync'd fine. I'm currently using Version 1.2 (1.4)
    08-30-09 08:30 AM
    Why pay for a 3rd party app when DM for Macs arrives when 60 days ? I'd wait and try it out before apending $$

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-09 09:55 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD