04-29-09 09:36 PM
33 12
tools
    I need some serious help. I upgraded to a Bold from a Curve. Here are the steps I took.

1. Downloaded and installed Missing Sync.
    2. Set up calendar and contacts conduits only
    3. Calendar synced fine. Contacts won't sync. I have about 1700 contacts in the Apple Address Book. When I sync it tells me it wants to delete 1700 contacts...the contacts in my Address Book. If I proceed, it actually does wipe out the Apple Address Book. The contacts in the Blackberry don't change at all.

For some background, I had about 1500 contacts in an Entourage mail exchange account that I no longer use. I dragged them all to the desktop and then dragged them into Apple Address Book. In trying to resolve the contacts sync, I tried doing a one way sync using Pocket Mac on another computer to add all of the Blackberry contacts to the Apple Address Book. I was doing this in hopes of backing up the Blackberry contacts so that I could wipe the Blackberry. When I did this, only 45 contacts transferred. Could something be wrong with the other contacts?
    01-04-09 04:46 PM
    All sales are final and it just doesn't work with the bold or storm . Yet they do not advertise this. So I spent $40 and they won't refund my money and keeping telling to do this workaround which might work but will take about 25 minutes of my time exporting and importing and merging to sync contacts. And my music wouldn't sync. So I used media sync from blackberry and it synced my music perfectly.

Also it will completely mess up your contacts if you try and sync again after the initial sync. Do not buy anything from these people. They are terrible. I have filed a complaint with my credit card company and I suggest everyone who had purchased this do the same. Since they won't refund your money any other way even though they acknowledge it doesn't work with the bold and storm Yet they advertise it does.
    01-04-09 06:10 PM
    Muggles, I use Missing Sync. I bit the bullet and paid for the phone support. The tech. guy spent time with me and went over my Mac and cleaned out a bunch of junk and got me going. It synchs fine now. I know that it is a extra expense, tax deductable, but I have to have my Mac computer synched for my sales job. If you can or need it, spend the money and they will really be patient with you and get it right. You set up a time with them and they call you and fix your problem. Phone number is on the site.
    01-04-09 06:48 PM
    I used PocketMac for my new Bold and synced my Address Book and iCal without a problem. You just have to be sure that immediately after you install PocketMac, that you install the driver updates. (DriverUpdate.3.1.3B.dmg)
    01-04-09 06:59 PM
    I have the bold and the missing sync and it works flawlessly, you need to set it up in the preferences, but then everytime it works, well worth the money for flawless mac syncing.

Ohhh, and Hi everyone I'm new!!!!!!
    Missing sync has a known issue of NOT syncing contacts /tasks TO the MAC.. MAC to Bold works.. but BOLD to MAC does not.
    calendar works.. its with contacts and Tasks
    01-04-09 11:09 PM
    Hey guys:

Here is the response I got from Markspace:

It's not likely that there is anything specifically wrong with those contacts. It's an issue we've had reported by others and have duplicated here. The issue is that RIM has changed how it handles record IDs. This causes problems with our sync. It is a high priority for engineering and they are investigating a permanent solution. In the meantime we have a workaround that has worked for most of those who have tried it. Please give it consideration. The process may seem very involved, but taken one step at a time shouldn't take too long and should resolve this until a permanent solution can be made available. You will push the contacts from the Blackberry to the Mac using Bluetooth, then with all of the data in Address Book, wipe the PIM data on the Blackberry (which deletes contacts, events, memos, and tasks, and you may have to set up your email account on the Blackberry again (though this may not be necessary depending on how your email is set up now.) Then you'll overwrite! the Blackberry from the Mac. Going forward it should work. The detailed steps are:

1. On the Mac go to 'System Preferences' > 'Sharing' and check the option for Bluetooth sharing.
    2. Then open the Bluetooth preferences on your BlackBerry and pair the device with your Mac.
    3. Once the device is paired, again on the BlackBerry bluetooth screen, select your Mac and press the Menu button, select Transfer Address Book. This will send the BlackBerry address book to the Mac as one vcard file.
    4. Then, with the vcard on the Mac, import the vcard into Address Book to see how many cards there are. That should have all of the cards from the Blackberry. With all the cards on the Mac now you'll have duplicates of many of them.
    5. In Address Book, click on the 'Card' menu and choose 'Look for duplicates'. Then once you merge the duplicates your data should be all on the Mac.

Now, to resolve this and prevent it from giving you problems, backup your data, wipe the PIM data on the Blackberry, and then have the Mac overwrite the handheld. The in-depth steps for doing this are:

- Go to iCal, click the 'File' menu and choose 'Backup iCal
    - Go to Address Book, Click 'File' menu and choose 'Export - Address Book Archive'
    - Go to Mark/Space Notebook, click 'File' menu then choose 'Back up Notebook database'.

On the Blackberry:

1. Go to 'Options'
    2. Go into 'Security Options'
    3. Go into 'General Settings'
    4. Press the Blackberry 'Menu' button
    5. Select 'Wipe Handheld'

Now you should reset the Sync History of Notes plugin and set the other plugins to overwrite the handheld on the next sync. If you don't, when you sync all of the data will be deleted from iCal and Address Book and Mark/Space Notebook. To reset the Sync History of the Notes plugin:

1. Go to Missing Sync, click the 'Help' menu (NOT the icon) and choose 'Reset Sync History
    2. Uncheck all boxed except the one for the Notes
    3. Click the 'Reset Sync History' button
    4. Now double click on the Notes plugin and make sure it's settings are correct.

Still in Missing Sync, double click on the Contacts plugin and make sure it is set to overwrite the handheld on the next sync, and do the same thing for Calendar and Tasks.
    01-08-09 12:27 AM

GOING NUTS HERE - I JUST SWITCHED FROM THE CURVE TO THE BOLD AND TRYING TO SYNC WITH MY MAC. THE ERROR MESSAGE I'M GETTING IS THAT ITS 'SKIPPING' - WHAT ON EARTH DOES THIS MEAN?
    I'VE REINSTALLED THE POCKETMAC SYNC MANAGER TO NO AVAIL. THE ON THE BLACKBERRY SITE UNDER 'SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD FOR BLACKBERRY SUPPORT' YOU CAN CHOOSE FROM A WIDE MENU OF DIFFERENT SOFTWARE TO DOWNLOAD - NO OPTION OF 9000 OR BOLD. NOT SURE WHERE THE PROBLEM IS BUT STILL HAVE AN EMPTY BOLD .....CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?
    u should disable the password from your bold...it was working for me
    01-09-09 01:08 PM
    Hello,

The driver update file may be having issues updating the driver files correctly. Please complete the following steps in order.

1) Ensure your BlackBerry is disconnected from the Mac
    2) Perform a hard reset on the BlackBerry by removing the battery and reinserting it
    3) Navigate to the following folder using the Macintosh HD icon on your Desktop: HD > System > Library > Extensions
    4) Delete the following files: BlackberryUSB.kext and BlackberryUSBDev.kext
    5) Empty the Trash
    6) In a web browser navigate to blackberry,cin
    7) Download the PocketMac Driver update by selecting the PocketMac software from the drop-down list, clicking Next and downloading the second file listed
    8) Ensure your BlackBerry is NOT connected to the Mac.
    9) Double click the downloaded .dmg file and proceed through the installation
    10) When prompted, reboot the Mac
    04-29-09 09:36 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD