I spent countless hours researching and trial and error but finally got sync'd. Here are the steps as I recall them:

-- Export Palm desktop data to Entourage (unable to post link but Google entourage palm desktop hot sync and you'll find an Earthlink page with instructions)
    -- Download PocketMac and the new drivers from BB site
    -- Enable mass storage on Tour
    -- Click BB icon on PocketMac
    -- Select the activities you want to enable (contacts, calendar, tasks, etc.) via Entourage
    -- Select Advanced Preferences
    -- I chose Always overwrite device (My Tour was brand new and had no data to save)
    -- Plug in USB to Mac and BB
    -- Sync

These instructions might help someone else who is attempting to do the same thing. I am hoping the new BB DM for the Mac will make this a simpler process but I couldn't wait that long to find out. It would mean lugging both Treo and Tour around with me until BB DM is released or stick with Palm.

By the way, I was one of those people anxiously awaiting the Pre and bought it on release. It was a big disappointment and I returned it after 2 weeks. So far, the Tour has exceeded expectations.

Robyn
    08-25-09 10:25 PM
    I spent countless hours researching and trial and error but finally got sync'd. Here are the steps as I recall them:

-- Export Palm desktop data to Entourage (unable to post link but Google entourage palm desktop hot sync and you'll find an Earthlink page with instructions)
    -- Download PocketMac and the new drivers from BB site
    -- Enable mass storage on Tour
    -- Click BB icon on PocketMac
    -- Select the activities you want to enable (contacts, calendar, tasks, etc.) via Entourage
    -- Select Advanced Preferences
    -- I chose Always overwrite device (My Tour was brand new and had no data to save)
    -- Plug in USB to Mac and BB
    -- Sync

These instructions might help someone else who is attempting to do the same thing. I am hoping the new BB DM for the Mac will make this a simpler process but I couldn't wait that long to find out. It would mean lugging both Treo and Tour around with me until BB DM is released or stick with Palm.

By the way, I was one of those people anxiously awaiting the Pre and bought it on release. It was a big disappointment and I returned it after 2 weeks. So far, the Tour has exceeded expectations.

Robyn
    Welcome to Crackberry, Robyn! I was also able to seamlessly bring my Palm data over to my BB8830. I used PocketMac at first, but after seeing emails swapped with phone numbers and contacts multiplying like bunnies, I purchased Missing Sync. RIM is expected to release Desktop Manager for OS X any day/month/year/decade/aeon now. Actually the freshest rumors say it's coming this September. A word of warning. Installing Missing Sync requires 2 reboots. Yes. That's 2 reboots of your Mac. One to get rid of PocketMac and another that is part of the Missing Sync install. I imagine the Desktop Manager install will involve reboots as well. How rude.

The Tour is on my short list of next phones. So is Storm 2. And a little bit lower on my list are Pre and iPhone. I have an iPod Touch and I love the variety of apps available. Sadly apps are much more limited for us on Blackberry and the Pre is even worse (for now). Another down side is the newer apps all want the newer OS. I upgraded from 4.2.2.196 to 4.5.138 a few months back and now there are a lot more apps I can run. But I'm still frustrated because every now and then a new app comes out that only runs on OS 4.6 and newer. This is something iPhone users don't even have to think about. I suspect the same will be true for Pre. OS changes on those other platforms won't break apps like they do for us BB users.

Still, the main thing I like about my BB are far superior to other phones: Reliable push email, excellent phone performance and long battery life. So I might be picking up a Tour myself in the next few months. Since I haven't completely ruled out WebOS for my next phone, I'm curious what you didn't like about yours?
    08-27-09 02:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD