Lifelong Mac user here. Never owned a PC and know absolutely nothing about them. I'm sick of waiting for Verizon to get off their a** and release a software update, so Im thinking about taking the plunge and doing the whole Bootcamp/XP thing so I can update my Storm with a leaked OS. Any tips and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know there is a post in the Storm section about upgrades, but the how to's are written for people with a basic understanding of PC hierarchy, of which I have zero. I know if I post this there I'll end up with a thread full of "Buy a real computer" flames and little to no help! Thanks in advance! 
    05-11-09 10:29 AM
    I'd give it till the end of the week if I was you. With the official's starting to roll out on all the other carriers, you have to figure that Verizon is really really close. Of course I could be wrong here but I have a hunch. And with your limited knowledge of PC workings, there's a fairly good chance you could brick your phone. Of course I certainly understand your frustration with .75, so good luck if you go for it!
    05-11-09 10:56 AM
    I had the same problem and instead of waiting for a new OS, I finally just went on the VZW website and bought a Curve 8330. Took about a day to adjust to the downgrade. I'm really hoping Storm isn't forgotten with the new Storm II coming out later this year..
    05-13-09 10:31 AM
    I have given all options a try (even borrowing my girlfriends windows laptop to update the BB OS.) Bootcamp is not a bad option, my problem was I only have a 80 gig harddrive on my macbook with 70 gigs used. using bootcamp you need to sacrifice hard drive space by partitioning your hard drive. You can use the FAT32 file system to make the partition able to read/write through OSX, but in windows, you do not have access to your OSX hard drive... that was also a problem for me to have a simple, one program to back up everything with a secure feeling of stability. I have settled for using Parallels to upgrade my OS. Yes, its true that because windows is emulated, you are unable to get full performance out of XP or Vista, but works just fine for upgrading your blackberry and getting other files out of OSX to your blackberry. Of course, you can transfer files via OSX, but for loading apps, i perfer to use the DM. All other items i use the google sync for my contacts, calendars, etc... and transfer music, pics and video via finder. In conclusion, If you have the extra hard drive space for bootcamp, use it (I actually tried to create a bootable version of XP off my external hard drive via USB, but accidentally formatted my entire drive, rather than just the partition I created for it.) and there are third party programs to accsess and read/write on NTFS on HFS+ and vice versa. If not, parellels or VMware would have to do.
    05-14-09 10:38 AM
    ...but in windows, you do not have access to your OSX hard drive... that was also a problem for me to have a simple, one program to back up everything with a secure feeling of stability. I have settled for using Parallels to upgrade my OS. Yes, its true that because windows is emulated, you are unable to get full performance out of XP or Vista, but works just fine for upgrading your blackberry and getting other files out of OSX to your blackberry. .
    As I wrote to You in Your other thread: Be careful with Parallels, people report lots of issues with BB DeskManager, and I could not install it or bring it to work.

VMWare Fusion works like a charm (No, i do not work for them).

You wrote Windows was emulated. This is not the case. Since the modern Macs have Intel hardware, Win is VIRTUALIZED; it "runs" in its own environment but can be far faster then a "real" PC. Emulation we had with the old PowerPC Chips, and this was slow, unstable and unconvenient.
    05-14-09 03:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD