After sending an e-mail to RIM (Blackberry Support) I received the following response which in my opinion, hints at a possible desktop manager for mac:

"Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support.

At this time, PocketMac is the only synchronization application that we support for Mac. There are other synchronization programs available for download such as Missing Sync, however these are not applications that we can support or recommend.

Desktop Manager for Mac has not been officially released. We are unable to comment on unreleased products. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you again for contacting us.

If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Have a great day.

Sincerely,

BlackBerry Technical Support
    Research In Motion Limited
    02-26-09 01:36 PM
    The way I read it, it doesnt hint at anything. Just reinterates that they support PocketMac- dont support Missing Sync - and cannot comment on a product that hasnt officially been released. Now that last one confuses me- usually un/official releases somebody knows about.

They arent able to comment on an unreleased product because there is no product to speak of. If this proves to be incorrect, I'll eat my words.
    02-26-09 01:52 PM
    Well that just blows!
    02-26-09 02:10 PM
    If there were no Desktop Manager for Mac in the works, it is likely that the RIM tech would not have mentioned it at all in this message. The fourth paragraph would have been skipped entirely.

I think this is good news. If I wanted to parse it closely, I would say that it sounds like the product is in an internal beta and may be here sooner rather than later. But I'm not going to go that far!
    02-26-09 02:31 PM
    If there were no Desktop Manager for Mac in the works, it is likely that the RIM tech would not have mentioned it at all in this message. The fourth paragraph would have been skipped entirely.
    On the flip side of this, it could have been said in relation to a question asked of RIM regarding DM by the person who made the initial contact. Since none of us were privy to the entire conversation, all we can do is speculate.

Rumors of DM for Mac have been going on for years; thus the reason I'm not holding my breath of anything happening any time soon.
    02-26-09 02:47 PM
    Their was a forum on here in the fall about a possible release for Q2 of 09
    02-26-09 02:50 PM
    Before I bang my head against the web for three hours looking for answers that may not exist, allow me to pick the brains of you BB experts.

I am very new to the BB, I have an 8330 curve (Alltel). I was a long-time Palm user, having set up a T/X to sync between a PC and Macbook. All worked well, so I naturally assumed I could do likewise in BB world. I have a PC running Outlook (my company demands it) and my field machine is a Macbook using the onboard ical, etc.

I have installed Desktop Manager on the PC, and each time I sync (via USB), I get a message that OS updates are necessary. Then it seems as though the update process has a mind of its own. My BB loses a few applications each time I sync -- such as Maps, Tasks, etc.. Other times, I get a bunch of messaging and facebook-type stuff newly installed (lots of Yahoo). Then I reopen desktop manager, and try to manually select applications and re-sync, each time spending more than 30 minutes and never knowing what is going to be on the BB when it is done. Is the desktop manager going to blackberry.com or Alltel.com for its list of applicatons to load and delete?

Next I learn that there is no way at all to even upate BB software via the mac. I use pocketmac to sync only data, but that has been bumpy -- I think I just have to get better at setting the sync preferences. Am I at the mercy of PC to update the BB? Is there a way to go through the BB browser to self update, and how long would that take? I am very puzzled by the here-one-udate-and-gone-the-next applications. For example, right now, my email is no longer coming to the BB and I have no "Email setup" icon and no BB help icon (they are not hidden.)

Thanks for any help or guidance you can throw my way.

Mark
    02-26-09 04:27 PM
    Even so, I believe the wording to be key. "Desktop Manager for Mac has not been officially released." The is speaking in absolute terms, as if a DM does exist. If there were no DM, the tech would likely have said something like, "We have not released a Desktop Manager for Mac."

Maybe I'm reading with my wishful glasses on. I can just say this. If I said that "I have not officially sold my house," that would presuppose that my house is on the market, and that there is activity towards a sale. Otherwise I would have said, "Keep your eyes out for a possible house sale in the future."
    02-26-09 05:00 PM
    I think the fact that they came out with a Media manger for mac that kills Pocketmac syncing is a pretty good indication that something is coming down the road..
    02-26-09 05:57 PM
    I have managed to get Desktop manager working on the mac but it involves duel booting windows. You may have heard of this already. But if not I am going to write up a tutorial tonight on my site Berry 365

Ill update this post when the tutorial is ready but for now check out the cheeky screen shot of windows running in a seperate window on my mac with desktop manager working nicely.

02-26-09 06:12 PM
    Even so, I believe the wording to be key. "Desktop Manager for Mac has not been officially released." The is speaking in absolute terms, as if a DM does exist. If there were no DM, the tech would likely have said something like, "We have not released a Desktop Manager for Mac."

Maybe I'm reading with my wishful glasses on. I can just say this. If I said that "I have not officially sold my house," that would presuppose that my house is on the market, and that there is activity towards a sale. Otherwise I would have said, "Keep your eyes out for a possible house sale in the future."
    i agree.
    this i the key: "Desktop Manager for Mac has not been officially released.".
    02-26-09 06:38 PM

Well, we both have our thoughts on the matter. In the end, we'll be happy as h377 when we get DM for Mac.
    02-26-09 07:40 PM
    I have managed to get Desktop manager working on the mac but it involves duel booting windows. You may have heard of this already. But if not I am going to write up a tutorial tonight on my site Berry 365

Ill update this post when the tutorial is ready but for now check out the cheeky screen shot of windows running in a seperate window on my mac with desktop manager working nicely.

Windows on Mac (clutching my pearls)...
    Seriously though, I do realize there are many people out there that run windows on their Mac. My heart, mind & soul all say if I wanted windows I would gone that route & bought a laptop w/ windows, but instead, I wanted a MacBook minus windows.

When need be, I just hook my Curve or Pearl to my desktop PC & do whatever I need to do that way. On my MacBook, I dont run anything that requires windows so in that regard, I really can wait for RIM to do something for us.
    02-26-09 07:46 PM
    I agree. I can't wait until RIM gives us mac users something to work with. I don't want Windows for a reason-years of crappy, unstable operating systems.

In the mean time, I am using the trial version of Missing Sync (good for 14 days before you have to pay) and it's working great so far. The only snag I've run into is the inability to sync multiple calendars even though it appears it should be able to. It will only sync one. But iTunes, Address Book and everything else works like a charm. Now if I can just figure out how to install apps using Missing Sync (if even possible) I think Markspace may have a sale.
    02-26-09 08:36 PM
    have you tried to use parallels? I can't get DM to connect to my storm in a virtual XP world. Any suggestions?
    02-26-09 10:06 PM
    have you tried to use parallels? I can't get DM to connect to my storm in a virtual XP world. Any suggestions?
    Macberry over at berry365.com is the man to speak with it you are trying to run parralels and get the phone hooked up. I believe he was having problems with it recognising his phone but he sorted it out... He is still writing up that tutorial but with it being pretty complex it is taking him a while
    02-27-09 08:44 AM

I think this is good news. If I wanted to parse it closely, I would say that it sounds like the product is in an internal beta and may be here sooner rather than later. But I'm not going to go that far!
    I agree, the wording is pretty conspicuous, particularly "Officially released." It suggests something is in the works, but not in the public eye.
    02-27-09 09:01 AM
    In the mean time, I am using the trial version of Missing Sync (good for 14 days before you have to pay) and it's working great so far. The only snag I've run into is the inability to sync multiple calendars even though it appears it should be able to. It will only sync one.
    Which is precisely why I went back to using version 1.0.3. In my experience, 1.0.3 likes to mess up contacts while 2.0 restricts the use of multiple calendars. I can bypass the contact problem by just not syncing contacts or choosing to be notified on any changes, but the missing calendar thing is an absolute deal-breaker.
    02-27-09 12:08 PM
    Don't know about Parallels, but DM in virtual VMWare Fusion works fine. Key is to make sure that the mac doesn't hijack the USB connection (often done by background processes like that found with Missing Sync).
    02-27-09 12:21 PM
    I use DM, running on XP, under Fusion. Works flawlessly.

As mentioned, be aware of which "system" owns the USB connection. In fusion, you can do this by going to Virtual Machine, Settings and making sure that both check boxes for USB enable & connection are selected. You may need to shut down the virtual machine to make this change. It will take effect on next VM start up.

I am not sure how to do this within Parallels - but, I assume there is a similar way to focus the USB port on to the virtual machine.
    02-27-09 03:52 PM
    After sending an e-mail to RIM (Blackberry Support) I received the following response which in my opinion, hints at a possible desktop manager for mac:

"Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support.

At this time, PocketMac is the only synchronization application that we support for Mac. There are other synchronization programs available for download such as Missing Sync, however these are not applications that we can support or recommend.

Desktop Manager for Mac has not been officially released. We are unable to comment on unreleased products. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you again for contacting us.

If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Have a great day.

Sincerely,

BlackBerry Technical Support
    Research In Motion Limited
    It sort of sounds like a hint but why keep it secret? I bet there are a lot of people who want to get a BB but are holding off because of RIM's limited Mac support. If RIM announced that they were going to support the Mac platform, my guess is that this would result in more sales.
    02-27-09 05:54 PM
    Before I bang my head against the web for three hours looking for answers that may not exist, allow me to pick the brains of you BB experts.

I am very new to the BB, I have an 8330 curve (Alltel). I was a long-time Palm user, having set up a T/X to sync between a PC and Macbook. All worked well, so I naturally assumed I could do likewise in BB world. I have a PC running Outlook (my company demands it) and my field machine is a Macbook using the onboard ical, etc.

I have installed Desktop Manager on the PC, and each time I sync (via USB), I get a message that OS updates are necessary. Then it seems as though the update process has a mind of its own. My BB loses a few applications each time I sync -- such as Maps, Tasks, etc.. Other times, I get a bunch of messaging and facebook-type stuff newly installed (lots of Yahoo). Then I reopen desktop manager, and try to manually select applications and re-sync, each time spending more than 30 minutes and never knowing what is going to be on the BB when it is done. Is the desktop manager going to blackberry.com or Alltel.com for its list of applicatons to load and delete?

Next I learn that there is no way at all to even upate BB software via the mac. I use pocketmac to sync only data, but that has been bumpy -- I think I just have to get better at setting the sync preferences. Am I at the mercy of PC to update the BB? Is there a way to go through the BB browser to self update, and how long would that take? I am very puzzled by the here-one-udate-and-gone-the-next applications. For example, right now, my email is no longer coming to the BB and I have no "Email setup" icon and no BB help icon (they are not hidden.)

Thanks for any help or guidance you can throw my way.

Mark
    I've been trying to update my 8830 by using windows 7 beta and virtualbox on my mac. I can actually get the DM to backup my BB as well as restore it. But when it comes to updating the BB, the connection drops when the process starts.

Some things I had to do to get this far:
    Add you BB to the virtualbox USB list.
    Set the compatibility mode of the DM (and the device manager) to the windows XP service pack 3 option.

I nearly bricked my BB a short while ago while trying to update the OS using this method. Until I can stop the connection from breaking, I'm just going to use the DM to backup my BB.
    02-27-09 06:00 PM
    yeh if he mentioned it then it its out there. if not why even mention it
    02-28-09 02:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD