if using a mac, is pocketmac (or missing sync) the equivalent of the BB desktop, or can I use both?

I feel like pocketmac doesn't allow me to do much besides sync calender and address book entries.

I come from using a treo and feel like i am missing something without a desktop manager.

thanks!
    11-15-07 12:39 PM
    To the best of my knowledge there is not a MAC version of Desktop Manager currently available. Everyone on these Threads that I have read has been using pocketmac.
    11-15-07 12:42 PM
    if using a mac, is pocketmac (or missing sync) the equivalent of the BB desktop, or can I use both?

I feel like pocketmac doesn't allow me to do much besides sync calender and address book entries.

thanks!
    Ya, I feel the same way. I have an 8320 and a MacBook. I was wondering if you are able to install software using PocketMac?
    11-16-07 07:51 AM
    PocketMac and Missing Sync is pretty much all there is for Mac users. You can install apllications using PocketMac. I've been using it for my BB. If you just want to do simple syncs like calendar and address book and install applications, PocketMac works fine. For media, use Missing Sync. I just use the mass storage mode on BB for my media. I really don't do that much syncing so I really don't need something like Missing Sync. The one major issue is that you'll not be able to update your BB OS using a Mac.
    11-16-07 12:08 PM
    To "onepoonis" - I currently have a Mac with OS 10.3.9 & a Treo 650 Palm.
    Looking @ buying a Blackberry Curve.
    Possible to update the Blackberry OS?
    How about updating via downloading straight to the Blackberry?
    Also concerned about available professional software since I have yet to buy and use apps for the Blackberry.
    Like my Treo 650 but interested in a new "toy" to learn.
    Heard that the Curve is extremely stable while I have had reset and crash problems when trying different softwares.
    Interested in any and all responses from those with practical experience with both devices.
    Not a big "emailer" but contact management; calendar; notes and To Do's and that can sync with each other.
    Thanks.
    11-22-07 06:08 PM
    Sorry to say that you'll not be able to update the BB OS using a Mac. Unless you're using something like BootCamp. Also, you can't update using OTA method. You'll have to download the update and install it using a PC. I use my work PC to install the OS updates.

I don't really use my BB for work related stuff, so I don't have too much experience with the professional software. But, if you want to view MS Word and Excel, as wells as PDF files, you can use BeanBerry. If you want to edit Word and Excel files on your BB, there's an application coming out soon by DataViz.

I don't know about Treo, but my BB is very stable compared to Moto Q, which I wanted to hurl into a brick wall many times. I use my BB for email and text messaging, notes, address book, and tasks, and they all sync fine with PocketMac. There are other's having problems with PocketMac, but I haven't had any problems. Yet. Knock on wood.
    11-22-07 06:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD