04-03-09 12:54 AM
44 12
tools
    Got a copy for $60! Are there any must have apps and/or games I should get after getting Leopard installed? I'm not using it for any indepth computing. Just surfing the web,games, photos, videos, etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 08:20 AM
    Got a copy for $60! Are there any must have apps and/or games I should get after getting Leopard installed? I'm not using it for any indepth computing. Just surfing the web,games, photos, videos, etc.

Not sure what you would have to get thats different than what you're using now. Since most of us have different needs, that "must have" could be something you've either never heard of or don't have a need for.

My needs are pretty simple like yours. My MacBook was just the newest toy to go along with all my others toys. Outside of installing Office for Mac and some other stuff I just wanted to try, I am pretty much as close to stock as it comes.
    03-23-09 08:41 AM

You can do just about everything you need out of the box, but all the same:

- You might consider iLife (iPhoto and iMovie are pretty slick)
    - iWork. I much prefer Numbers and Pages to Word and Excel.
    - If you use many different IM applications, consider Adium.
    - If you don't like Safari, you might want to get Firefox.

I can expand the list a little once I get home. Stuck on a PC at the office :\
    03-23-09 09:43 AM
    Aside from all the OS updates, you would probably benefit from PERIAN, Flip4Mac, mPlayer, and VLC. They will install the codecs you need to view just about anything, whether online or via a disc or file.

You will now have Time Machine, so get yourself an external Harddrive, or another INTERNAL HDD for backups. Your backup/Time Machine Drive is recommended to be at least twice the size of your internal HDD.

If you IM, go with AdiumX rather than iChat.

If you opt out of iWork, definitely get NeoOffice. Not as robust as iWork or Office for Mac, but it's free and gets the job done.

For photo manipulation that's got way more features than iPhoto, and is similar to Photoshop, try out GIMP. You'll need to be sure and install X11 from your install disc, though.

I've got a whackload of apps installed, but those should cover the basics.
    03-23-09 11:25 PM
    Aside from all the OS updates, you would probably benefit from PERIAN, Flip4Mac, mPlayer, and VLC. They will install the codecs you need to view just about anything, whether online or via a disc or file.

You will now have Time Machine, so get yourself an external Harddrive, or another INTERNAL HDD for backups. Your backup/Time Machine Drive is recommended to be at least twice the size of your internal HDD.

If you opt out of iWork, definitely get NeoOffice. Not as robust as iWork or Office for Mac, but it's free and gets the job done.

For photo manipulation that's got way more features than iPhoto, and is similar to Photoshop, try out GIMP. You'll need to be sure and install X11 from your install disc, though.

If you IM, go with AdiumX rather than iChat ???

NEGATIVE... NO Cam use.. LAME
    I use iChat for AIM and Google chat.. ZERO ISSUES...
    Showing people your pictures they iphoto theatre is AMAZING My folks LOVE IT !
    03-24-09 01:25 AM

Here ya go Bri. Easier to find stuff when you have some links to help you out. I downloaded Perian when I got my Mac. I forgot what it's supposed to do.

The only other program I have on here that wasnt listed is Awaken. It's the loudest alarm clock I've ever used. Not free though. The cost is $15. It's built for Tiger too.
    03-24-09 03:29 AM
    Thanks . I will check out what you guys have listed
    03-24-09 11:02 PM
    I downloaded Perian when I got my Mac. I forgot what it's supposed to do.
    It adds support for codecs not natively supported by QuickTime (divx, avi etc.)
    03-25-09 07:22 AM
    It adds support for codecs not natively supported by QuickTime (divx, avi etc.)
    Thanks Pol. I Googled it after I posted that. Then the lightbulb went off like.... oh yeah; thats what it does.
    03-25-09 09:02 AM
    So I upgraded to 10.5.6 and its amazing.

03-30-09 08:51 AM
    If you IM, go with AdiumX rather than iChat ???

NEGATIVE... NO Cam use.. LAME
    I use iChat for AIM and Google chat.. ZERO ISSUES...
    Showing people your pictures they iphoto theatre is AMAZING My folks LOVE IT !
    It's nice if you have friends on services iChat doesn't support. MSN messenger comes to mind. I prefer iChat too, but it's nice to have both.

So I upgraded to 10.5.6 and its amazing.

Effin' A, Cotton
    04-02-09 03:23 AM
    I currently have Panther 10.3.9 - should I definetly upgrade to Leopard 10.5.6?
    Yeah. Def. Upgrade to lepoard. Its newer and better.

04-02-09 07:47 AM
    You def need to upgrade to Leopard 10.5.6...I love it.

And to ClintAustini chat is awesome...I also use yahoo.
    04-02-09 08:25 AM
    Brian, congrats on the upgrade! Nice price, too.

04-02-09 12:44 PM
    You def need to upgrade to Leopard 10.5.6...I love it.

And to ClintAustini chat is awesome...I also use yahoo.
    I never said iChat wasn't awesome.
    04-02-09 04:08 PM
    Brian, congrats on the upgrade! Nice price, too.

Thanks - I'm loving it so far. Had a bunch of garbage on the computer so I wiped the HD and did a clean install and everything is running smooth.
    04-02-09 11:48 PM
    Thanks - I'm loving it so far. Had a bunch of garbage on the computer so I wiped the HD and did a clean install and everything is running smooth.
    Just be sure and do all the updates!

ps LOVE LOVE LOVE your avatar!
    04-03-09 12:16 AM
    thanks!
    04-03-09 12:21 AM
    Just be sure and do all the updates!

ps LOVE LOVE LOVE your avatar!
    When I read this it made me think of how often I see "window updates are ready for your computer;" practically every other day as opposed to every once in a while with Mac.
    04-03-09 12:54 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD