Hello Everyone,

First of all i tried searching Crackberry forums for awnsers but couldnt find an awnser to my questions.

Phone: Blackberry Bold 9000 (Vodaphone software or something)
    Laptop: Macbook with Leopard OS
    Carrier: B-Mobistar (Belgium)
    Options: VM Fusion on Mac with XP SP2 available

1. Restoring BB to default firmware
      My phone came with some kind of vodaphone software bundle, when i boot i get the vodaphone logo and some mail configuration options are disabled i think. I can only Select blackberry email server to configure, im trying to configure a Microsoft Exchange 2003 server (ill get back to that later).

Anyway, I would like to reset / flash (or something like that ) my Blackberry. So that the vodaphone software i completly gone.

Could anyone care to explain me how i can do this?
      Will my blackberry be locked or something after i reinstalled it?
    2. What do all the Mac people use to sync their BB?

I tried PocketMac to sync my Blackberry but im getting many sync problems. Does anyone use other software on Mac to sync their iTunes / iPhone / contacts / ...?

I Also have VM Fusion with XP installed, perhaps there are better tools available on windows to sync your Blackberry?
    3. Syncing to Exchange 2003 Server (BB not providing the option)

As said before, when i try to configure my email it only gives me one option: Configure Blackberry Enterprise Server.
      I want to connect to a Microsoft Exchange 2003 server, how can I do this?

Thanks,
    03-24-09 06:58 AM
    Exchange Server is the backbone supporting a BES system. Do you have a BES account? Is it corporate or independently hosted?

If the answers are yes - you activate your BES system through Enterprise Activation. Home > Settings > Options > Advanced Options > Enterprise Activation. If you're on a BES, the activation should proceed automatically. (May be other ways if someone wants to add comments ... this is the way I do mine)

With respect to Mac - I long ago abandoned all the sync tools. They are a hit and miss proposition and, therefore, not a stable solution for me. The way I solved my email messaging / contacts / calendar syncing is through BES. The transfer of music and other media or document files should readily transfer through a USB tether. Mac OS should show 2 volumes in Finder, one for the BB and one for the SDHC, if you have one.

You should be able to remove the Vodaphone files through DM (use 4.6 NOT 4.7), I just don't know which files - someone else will have to identify those for you. And I trust that you know that you will have to use VM Windows to operate DM 4.6 on the Mac. Hope that helps a bit.

One other point, make sure you properly un-dock your BB and SDHC volumes. Disconnecting without undocking can permanently damage your SDHC.
    Last edited by taddley; 03-24-09 at 09:49 AM.
    03-24-09 09:46 AM
    Exchange Server is the backbone supporting a BES system. Do you have a BES account? Is it corporate or independently hosted?

If the answers are yes - you activate your BES system through Enterprise Activation. Home > Settings > Options > Advanced Options > Enterprise Activation. If you're on a BES, the activation should proceed automatically. (May be other ways if someone wants to add comments ... this is the way I do mine)
    Hello, I do not have a BES running and my Exchange server a Corporate server running our Citrix Metaframe. I am starting to realise you really cant do much without BES. Wich i think is a major downer.
    If anyone would like to comment me or prove me otherwise, i would appreciate it!

Edit: I think my cellular provider has a dataplan with a BES server, im get more info on that. It should solve my problem on that end!

With respect to Mac - I long ago abandoned all the sync tools. They are a hit and miss proposition and, therefore, not a stable solution for me. The way I solved my email messaging / contacts / calendar syncing is through BES. The transfer of music and other media or document files should readily transfer through a USB tether. Mac OS should show 2 volumes in Finder, one for the BB and one for the SDHC, if you have one.
    When i bought my BlackBerry i suspected problems with my Mac. My mac does show 2 volumes and transferring files is no problem at all. But i do think this is a dirty workaround! Perhaps someone on the forums found a nice way to sync iTunes / iPhoto on Mac? I have VMware fusion so i could do an entire library transfer to my XP volume. Comments are welcome!

You should be able to remove the Vodaphone files through DM (use 4.6 NOT 4.7), I just don't know which files - someone else will have to identify those for you. And I trust that you know that you will have to use VM Windows to operate DM 4.6 on the Mac. Hope that helps a bit.
    Ill try installing DM tonight and try some things out! Thank you for your input Taddley!

One other point, make sure you properly un-dock your BB and SDHC volumes. Disconnecting without undocking can permanently damage your SDHC.
    Thanks for the reminder!
    Last edited by Rangoon; 03-24-09 at 11:33 AM.
    03-24-09 11:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD