07-19-09 08:33 PM
48 12
tools
    Mods,
    Many of the questions here concerning PocketMac syncing problems can be easily solved by the following solutions. Would you be able to make this thread a sticky? That way those who need help will get it fast.

Although PocketMac is a great piece of software, you may find yourself frustrated with it when it decides to misbehave and not sync your contacts, create duplicate entires, refuse to mount your SD on the desktop, etc.

The first step you should take is to make sure you have the most current version of PocketMac (4.0.20b as of this writing) and install the "PocketMac Driver Update." Both of these files can be found at BlackBerry - BlackBerry for Mac

If your BlackBerry crashes when the SD card is mounted on the desktop:

The "PocketMac Driver Update" addresses problems with failed or incomplete syncs. It also helps alleviate a bug in Mac OS X Leopard, where mounting your BlackBerry SD card will cause the BlackBerry to reboot.

If after installing the driver update, your SD card mounts on the desktop, and your BlackBerry crashes several seconds later, try disabling Spotlight indexing on the SD card. This can be done by clicking the Apple Menu --> System Preferences --> Spotlight --> Privacy --> Minus Sign --> Select the BLACKBERRY drive and click "Choose." You must follow these steps when the BlackBerry is mounted on your desktop. For me, I had 5-10 seconds to disable Spotlight before my BlackBerry would crash.

Some users have reported that formatting the SD card under Windows as FAT32 will fix mounting issues. Make sure to uncheck the "Quick Erase" option.

If you are experiencing Syncing glitches such as: duplicate entries, missing entries, partial syncs, etc:

First, make sure the "Advanced Preferences" of the items you want to sync are set correctly. An explanation of the "Advanced Preferences" can be found in the PDF manual on the downloaded PocketMac disk image.

If you are still having problems, please use the following utilities. Both are located in your Home folder/Library/Application Support/PocketMacSyncManager/Additional Tools.

The first is SyncClean. Please open this application. You will need to click both "Clean SyncServices Files" and Clean PocketMac Files. Confirm each choice.

Please restart your Mac after using SyncClean (to avoid "Merging local records with device" error). When syncing, if the Sync Services debug window comes up, you must click ALLOW. DO NOT check the box to delete data.

The second is DataPurgeUI. This utility will help you purge data from your BlackBerry. I recommend choosing the one you are not able to sync.WARNING: This will delete ALL Calendars, ALL Contacts, ALL Notes, or ALL Tasks from your BlackBerry. Note: PocketMac SyncManager must be open in order to use DataPurgeUI.

If you are still having trouble, don't be afraid to ask a question. But also, file a support request with PocketMac and look at their support documents at PocketMac Support Site They are very helpful and prompt. RIM also has support documents for PocketMac and you can email them with your questions at Livelink - Redirection
    Last edited by WelshSage; 05-05-08 at 11:24 PM.
    05-05-08 09:06 PM
    Mods,

If your BlackBerry crashes when the SD card is mounted on the desktop:

The "PocketMac Driver Update" addresses problems with failed or incomplete syncs. It also helps alleviate a bug in Mac OS X Leopard, where mounting your BlackBerry SD card will cause the BlackBerry to reboot.

If after installing the driver update, your SD card mounts on the desktop, and your BlackBerry crashes several seconds later, try disabling Spotlight indexing on the SD card. This can be done by clicking the Apple Menu --> System Preferences --> Spotlight --> Privacy --> Minus Sign --> Select the BLACKBERRY drive and click "Choose." You must follow these steps when the BlackBerry is mounted on your desktop. For me, I had 5-10 seconds to disable Spotlight before my BlackBerry would crash.
    OK so i installed the driver update, restarted and plugged in the ole blackberry via usb cable. My BB is not rebooting, but the media card isnt mounting. I went under spotlight and the blackberry drive failed to show as i assumed, since it's not mounting.

Any ideas?? The only way i can get the memory card to mount is by using a usb reader.
    05-05-08 10:07 PM
    Some people have said (I forget where) that formatting the SD card under Windows as FAT32 will fix mounting issues. Make sure to uncheck the "Quick Erase" option.
    05-05-08 11:23 PM
    no access to PC, have a mac all my friends have macs and unable to download software at work lol. Guess i'm stuck with the usb reader!
    05-06-08 08:58 AM
    Mods,
    Many of the questions here concerning PocketMac syncing problems can be easily solved by the following solutions. Would you be able to make this thread a sticky? That way those who need help will get it fast.

If you are experiencing Syncing glitches such as: duplicate entries, missing entries, partial syncs, etc:

First, make sure the "Advanced Preferences" of the items you want to sync are set correctly. An explanation of the "Advanced Preferences" can be found in the PDF manual on the downloaded PocketMac disk image.

If you are still having problems, please use the following utilities. Both are located in your Home folder/Library/Application Support/PocketMacSyncManager/Additional Tools.

The first is SyncClean. Please open this application. You will need to click both "Clean SyncServices Files" and Clean PocketMac Files. Confirm each choice.

Please restart your Mac after using SyncClean (to avoid "Merging local records with device" error). When syncing, if the Sync Services debug window comes up, you must click ALLOW. DO NOT check the box to delete data.

The second is DataPurgeUI. This utility will help you purge data from your BlackBerry. I recommend choosing the one you are not able to sync.WARNING: This will delete ALL Calendars, ALL Contacts, ALL Notes, or ALL Tasks from your BlackBerry. Note: PocketMac SyncManager must be open in order to use DataPurgeUI.
    after weeks of **** with pocketmac and my 8703e this forum helped me the most

RIM tech support was useless

thanks !!
    06-04-08 07:46 AM
    so i am very new to all of this and trying to sync my curve to my mac and nothing is working. i need to figure this out because i got the phone for my husband under the stipulation that he could seamlessly transfer his palm info to the verizon curve from the mac. At this point he has his stuffed packed and is ready to return the phone so i need help! I downloaded pocketmac as well as the second program with it. when I plug my bb into the usb in the computer the pocketmac doesn't see that it is plugged in so nothing will transfer. I am hoping this is a simple problem to fix. Any ideas? thanks!!
    06-04-08 08:08 AM
    so i am very new to all of this and trying to sync my curve to my mac and nothing is working. i need to figure this out because i got the phone for my husband under the stipulation that he could seamlessly transfer his palm info to the verizon curve from the mac. At this point he has his stuffed packed and is ready to return the phone so i need help! I downloaded pocketmac as well as the second program with it. when I plug my bb into the usb in the computer the pocketmac doesn't see that it is plugged in so nothing will transfer. I am hoping this is a simple problem to fix. Any ideas? thanks!!
    First if he was using the Palm Desktop he needs to export that information to either the native address book on the Mac or entourage (not 2008). After that be sure that he downloaded the updated driver for pocket make and sets the mass storage default to yes and all should be good to go.

Syncing Curves with PocketMac

If he is using Entourage 2008 here's a helpful post.

I would also recommend a complete uninstall of Pocketmac and reinstall from the BB site. If you need help PM me.
    06-04-08 01:02 PM
    Thanks! How do I go about exporting his palm info to the mac? Do I need software for that? His memos are apparently quite important to him so that is what I am concerned with exporting (as well as the address book of course) His address book is already in the native mac but I am not sure about his memos. Thoughts? I don't believe he is using Entourage since I am not even sure what that is :-/ I was finally able to sync mine, thank you so much for the tips! I wasn't able to do my mail yet, i am nervous I am going to push a wrong setting and wipe out all my mail on my computer.
    random question- do you know how I set my bb so when I receive mail it goes both to my computer and bb, it seems to be that when my mail program is open on my computer i only receive that mail in that inbox and not on my bb. Thanks again!!!
    06-04-08 02:42 PM
    Well LizzBeth you stumped me with your question about memos, let me check that out (good thing I haven't taken the palm desktop off).

What type of e-mail BIS (g-mail, yahoo etcc.) or BES (corporate e-mail)? Which e-mail program are you using on the Mac?

It sounds like you might have the "only forward e-mail when I'm away from my Mac" checked. Go to PocketMac, click on the BB, click on redelivery and uncheck everything there. That should solve the problem. If not then I don't have a clue as I get all my mail on both BB and Mac.
    06-04-08 09:01 PM
    Yes, you can export your memos from Palm Desktop. Open PDT, click memos then file then export. All should work from there.
    06-04-08 09:03 PM
    we did export the memos to desktop and then put it in stickies (is there another application we should use besides stickies? We don't have entourage) and tried to sync with pocketmac with no luck
    it seemed to sync but memopads is still empty on his bb
    any idea what happened?
    Thanks for the email forwarding answered, i think it worked!
    06-04-08 09:44 PM
    btw, i finally figured out what "PM" means, if you tell me how than i can PM you instead. Thanks!
    06-05-08 08:20 AM
    i just got my first BB today (woohoo!) and i tried using pocketmac but it just crashes my BB every time. i reformatted my sd card and tried to disable spotlight indexing but it never shows up in the menu to disable. what now?
    06-11-08 07:31 PM
    Hey all, Have BB Curve and have been syncing it with my MacBookPro with only an occasional problem (that seemed to dissolve after a computer restart or a change of the USB port for the connective cable). Recently, though, PocketMac just won't finish the sync. It goes through and seems to sync contacts, calendar, etc, but then stays at about 90% on the "progress window" seemingly forever (or until I cancel the event) having sync'd nothing. I have already dumped the program and then uploaded it again, downloaded the driver update, AND done the SyncClean.
    Still have the same problem.
    ANybody have this same problem and/or solutions?
    THANKS! Tanya
    07-06-08 01:20 AM
    PocketMac worked OK for me for a while (with small problems along the way) but then started leaving me hanging and not completing the sync. I finally, after dumping and re-loading the PocketMac program 3 times, dumped it for good and instead uploaded the Mark/Space Missing Sync for Blackberry. Now I can sync again.
    07-06-08 09:19 PM
    I don't see any drivers for the Pocketmac....can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks
    11-20-08 02:48 AM

"The first step you should take is to make sure you have the most current version of PocketMac (4.0.20b as of this writing) and install the "PocketMac Driver Update." Both of these files can be found at BlackBerry - BlackBerry for Mac
    "

There are five driver updates on the BB page. Which one should I download?

Thanks!
    11-21-08 08:20 PM
    Here's a problem I haven't run across in the few days I've had my Storm.

I was having trouble getting all my contacts to sync so I followed WelshSage's advice at the beginning of this thread.

On the next sync it wiped out half of my address book but left about 90 copies of the #Bal entry. When I deleted one of them my whole address book disappeared.

I followed the steps again and never got another contact entered. I deleted PocketMac, downloaded it again, and reinstalled. That didn't work.

I downloaded MissingSync and tried that. Still no contacts.

Somewhere in there I started doing hard resets of my BB and started getting the following error after boot up - "uncaught exception:java.lang.Null Pointer Exception".

Also, MissingSync won't sync my calendar and has made the calendar think today is December 4.

Help me...PLEASE!!!!
    11-25-08 01:15 AM
    great information, thanks for sharing with us mac users
    11-25-08 03:05 PM
    OK so i installed the driver update, restarted and plugged in the ole blackberry via usb cable. My BB is not rebooting, but the media card isnt mounting. I went under spotlight and the blackberry drive failed to show as i assumed, since it's not mounting.

Any ideas?? The only way i can get the memory card to mount is by using a usb reader.
    Heres how I did it with my phone:

On the phone, go to Options>Memory turn on Mass Storage Mode Support and set Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected to Prompt.

Then, when youattach the cable to the phone, it will ask if you want to enable mass storage mode. Clicking Yes will cause 2 drives to appear on your desktop. Blackberry2 is the SD card.
    11-25-08 04:14 PM
    Here's a problem I haven't run across in the few days I've had my Storm.

I was having trouble getting all my contacts to sync so I followed WelshSage's advice at the beginning of this thread.

On the next sync it wiped out half of my address book but left about 90 copies of the #Bal entry. When I deleted one of them my whole address book disappeared.

I followed the steps again and never got another contact entered. I deleted PocketMac, downloaded it again, and reinstalled. That didn't work.

I downloaded MissingSync and tried that. Still no contacts.

Somewhere in there I started doing hard resets of my BB and started getting the following error after boot up - "uncaught exception:java.lang.Null Pointer Exception".

Also, MissingSync won't sync my calendar and has made the calendar think today is December 4.

Help me...PLEASE!!!!
    By way of follow-up to my own problem...

I ended up doing a wipe on my BB and starting from scratch. I used Missing Sync and it handled my contacts on the first go. I had to do a little trouble shooting on the calendar but the answer to why it wouldn't sync correctly even after the wipe was easily found in the Missing Sync knowledge data base...I just typed the error I was getting and the bulletin with the explanation and fix popped right up.

I've given up on PocketMac. I'm reading now that there are new drivers and a beta version but having already rolled out the $40 for MissingSync and given that it's working, I'm sticking with it.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers!!
    11-26-08 02:33 AM
    Just want to thank you all for this post. I got my storm yesterday, and wasn't able to get PocketMac to work. After reading this post and all the responses, I was able to muddle through and got it working!! Without having to actually speak to a tech person..lol, thats a first for me!!
    11-26-08 09:07 AM
    I get the following message when attempting to sync my mac with my Storm:
    [04:24:31.194] Unable to connect to BlackBerry (error 1); skipping.
    12-03-08 07:28 PM
    I get the following message when attempting to sync my mac with my Storm:
    [04:24:31.194] Unable to connect to BlackBerry (error 1); skipping.
    I'm getting this message on my Pearl too.
    12-06-08 10:55 AM
    I'm getting this message on my Pearl too.
    I think the new drivers are specific to OSX 10.5. I'm running my Macs on 10.4.11 and when I loaded the new drivers I started getting the error message. I had to do a complete uninstall and reinstall of Pocketmac and now everything is fine.
    12-06-08 01:40 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD